Week 3 flower removing lower branches?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Critical Jack
Hi guys just looking for some opinions I've heard conflicting information on whether its ok or not to remove lower branches that won't get light a few weeks into flower. Some say it stresses the plant too much in flower whilst others say its very beneficial. It's just I have branches coming out of everywhere and they will all be hanging down when buds form properly and be a bit of a nuisance.

20210517_131012.jpg
20210517_131136.jpg
20210517_131610.jpg

I've heard conflicting information

Shocker!

OK you've got super healthy plants, and anyone who can do that in a pot, has my respect. With a healthy vigorous plant like that there is nothing that you can cut of that will stress the plant. I will always to a defoliation once it's at about your stage, not just to let some light in, but I get to see the structure of the plant and make some early decisions about what branches should be removed. Try and visualise the plant how you'd like her to be, look at what are definitely going to be the main branches, and see how many smaller branches are coming off each one. For example a branch that I might leave on a branch that doesn't have too much to do, but I might cut the same branch off if it was on a main branch that was supporting other strong growth. You more have to worry about stressing yourself than the plant.

Just taking the obvious stuff off is good, you can't go wrong with that. This is where experience of your own grow set up and abilities come in, it's annoying to leave a branch on that you later decide to cut off, but only mildly. Sometimes you just can't be sure. Take lots of photos for your later reference.

Cutting anything off a healthy cannabis plant will never "stress" it. Like imagine this say you have a healthy auto growing and you cut every single branch except for the main central branch, off. What's left will grow normally, why wouldn't it.

Some photos below of my first Auto a few years ago, I didn't have a clue what I was doing as I had only ever worked with cloned photoperiod plants, plus I had a break of 22 years. I trusted that defoliation wouldn't hurt her, how did work out to do that with so much 'conflicting' information? I just paid attention to people who had done it and showed me what is possible, That's all I need, once I've seen something with my own eyes, I tend to believe that. She looked very gangly and straggly to me and there weren't any really obvious main branches. You can see how severe I went, then I put a scrog on her, then I did some ridiculous supercropping (which I don't really do any more) you can see one branch bent right over. I have to admit I thought I buggered this entirely.

When I started I was confident that I could grow an eight ounce plant, by the time she had the scrog on, I was thinking that three ounces would be the best I could hope for. Ended up producing 9 ounces of very nice OG. I hope this gives you the confidence.

Attachments

• OGkush - 2.jpeg
    OGkush - 2.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 34
  • OGkush - 3.jpeg
    OGkush - 3.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 36
  • OGkush - 4.jpeg
    OGkush - 4.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 34
  • OGkush - 5.jpeg
    OGkush - 5.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 32
  • OGkush - 7.jpeg
    OGkush - 7.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 31
  • OGkush - 6.jpeg
    OGkush - 6.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 37
  • OGkush - 8.jpeg
    OGkush - 8.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 34
  • OGkush - 9.jpeg
    OGkush - 9.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 36
  • OGkush - 10.jpeg
    OGkush - 10.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 40
  • OGkush - 11.jpeg
    OGkush - 11.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 38
  • OGkush - 12.jpeg
    OGkush - 12.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 40
  • OGkush - 1.jpeg
    OGkush - 1.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks man this is a load off my mind I had a gut feeling it would be fine to do but was just a bit apprehensive as I have never done before and I had the fear that it could badly effect the yield. They are the biggest and most healthy plants I've grown to date so just didn't want to mess things up.

Thanks man this is a load off my mind I had a gut feeling it would be fine to do but was just a bit apprehensive as I have never done before and I had the fear that it could badly effect the yield. They are the biggest and most healthy plants I've grown to date so just didn't want to mess things up.

Steve, I always get apprehensive, no matter how many times I've done this. I would suggest that you treat both plants differently and photographically record the result. Looking at your plants though, I would do a defoliation first, before de branching. Your plants look bendy enough that you will be able to spread the branches apart.

Yeah I was thinking that the one on the left has grown straight up and very tall so to be fair wouldn't need much in terms of branches taken from the bottom just a defoliation will do her. The one on the right is like a little bushy tree it has shoots coming out of absolutely everywhere I think she will have to get the branches stripped as there are quite a few that are horizontal getting absolutely no light under the canopy. A lot of the branches could be pulled up to pretty much the top of the canopy as they are so long so I will invest in a few packs of yoyo supports to get max light to the lower branches. The plant are very bendy I will see how much I can spread them out after the defoliation they could do with being in a bigger tent to be fair. I will ensure to take lower branches in late veg next time to save the trouble I just didn't expect plants to be so monstrous. Thanks for the sound advice :mrgreen:

Back