Removing fan leaves

Who says? I top and do a heavy defol if necessary. My current DWC grow (Blackstrap BE) I have been taking 5-10 fans a day during late stretch. My previous grow (AvT) same thing - ended up with a 1 lb. plant. If topping (<day 21) and defoliation (spread out as necessary) are done correctly it will increase, not decrease, yield (not to mention its beneficial effect on preventing bud rot, etc.). IMHO, YMMV, etc.

I try to cut fan leaves that make their way to the top from lower on the stem and leave the fan leaves around the edges like a skirt. My test is - if after defoliation you can look down from the top and see green (no gaps) it's safe to defoliate upper fans - idea here is that a photon will have to hit some leaf on its trajectory downward. Here's the Blackstrap after yesterday's defoliation:

View attachment 1414206
I just defoliated these girls again last night. I take all top and inner fans off from the start of flower. If they’re not blocking anything lower I leave them.
2CC45C47-E7C3-49BE-99D2-EED816DBD5A0.jpeg

just about everything I read said you’re not suppose to
Yeah - that's the problem with non-AFN based information on autos. Seems like it's created either by dilettantes who are just repeating something else they've read somewhere, or the "autos suck" crowd still out there that have no idea about autoflowers generally, or the current genetic landscape of autos specifically.

Yeah - that's the problem with non-AFN based information on autos. Seems like it's created either by dilettantes who are just repeating something else they've read somewhere, or the "autos suck" crowd still out there that have no idea about autoflowers generally, or the current genetic landscape of autos specifically.
The one thing that I kind of disagree with is the timing of the top. I think the consensus here is 14-21 days. I wait until they’re starting to throw pistils and have 7-8 nodes then top at the 6th. Sometimes the 5th if the 2 top branches left behind aren’t at least an inch long.

I hope I won’t be to frowned upon this one…. :rolleyes1:
Lol!
When plants are too bushy and already deep into flower I go even further and use a electric trimming tool or scissors to shear the colas and avoid touching the buds. By doing this I can turn a 70 gram plant into a 110 grams and have more quality nugs.

46122A54-A0D2-42DE-9067-82D2CCA5E45B.jpeg
CBB342B1-B0D4-4FE5-AED0-8AC9CF082FF7.jpeg
6A9F0512-00C1-487E-BC92-69D42CE21892.jpeg
392C0A4D-57CE-4CD0-8D28-933FDCD71C44.jpeg

Lol!
When plants are too bushy and already deep into flower I go even further and use a electric trimming tool or scissors to shear the colas and avoid touching the buds. By doing this I can turn a 70 gram plant into a 110 grams and have more quality nugs.

View attachment 1414246View attachment 1414247View attachment 1414253View attachment 1414254
I’m gonna try this on my special reserve cookies III. I’ve defoliated her so many times and she still just has so many leaves.

yes Master Splinter I get it... old news for you but it’s the main headline for me and my grow right meow.

I appreciate everybody who took the time to be helpful.

I appreciate you too - for being so special and awesome.

Lol!

View attachment 1414246View attachment 1414247View attachment 1414253View attachment 1414254

you are certainly doing some unconventional things but with outstanding results. Do continue sharing with the community. Pioneers in this industry are still much needed and Quality usable data, in my opinion, Is more valuable than the plants themselves at this stage in the game.

I just defoliated these girls again last night. I take all top and inner fans off from the start of flower. If they’re not blocking anything lower I leave them.
View attachment 1414231
What week are these, amigo? I’m still getting a feel for what the progression of autos should look like. I do suspect that I experienced some delay in early flower and an extra long stretch... so I’m trying to get a visual idea of what week I may actually be on now. With that adjusted time table I can properly adjust my feed schedule

Lol!

I've never seen this before how old would you do that on your girls its not something id do but I'm very interested also @Gdiddydank I remove leaves and any age especially if shes gonna stop airflow but only if a plant is very healthy I also top and supercrop and have had great success and I feel you need to try stuff as that's how your learn what works just go easy

Back