What is the Optimal Way to 'Flip' a Stubborn Auto to Bloom?

BII

Reaction score
I've searched some and not seen any full descriptions of how to 'flip' an autoflower plant that's not acting like one, acting like a photo plant, and not advancing to bloom. Most everything is for photos vs. autos or never cites a full regimen, such as timing.

A general question: To 'flip' an autoflower plant that is taking too long to advance into bloom phase, what is the optimal light regimen?

An example: I have a Strawberry Gorilla/Fast Buds that is now well over 60 days but hasn't moved on to bloom. It's healthy and good sized - no problem with the plant. But how can I optimally do the 'flip' to (force it into) bloom? I presume I provide periods of ≥12 hours continuous darkness (and then normal tent lighting), but for how many days must this be done with an auto? Do I give exactly or something over 12 hours of darkness each period? I presume I keep to a 24-hour day cycle, such as give 11 hours of light/13 hours darkness? With all that darkness, if done in the tent with other autos can/should I boost the intensity some during lights-on periods (keep same DLI)?

Last edited:
I had a plant do this pretty recently. I think around 8 weeks and I asked some folks around here. I was told to try 3 days at 12/12 and it worked like a charm. Small sample but it totally worked for me. It's the root beer float in this journal. 120 days to finish
Screenshot_20240304-214639.png
Screenshot_20240304-214653.png
Screenshot_20240304-214704.png

Three or even 4 dark cycles (days) is doable.

I was concerned the process might take much longer. I saw photo strain-oriented information citing need to keep 12/12 light cycle through to harvest. [Photos in bloom can only get max. 12 hours/day light?].

It worked for me. I went back to 20/4 after the 3 days since there were 8 other auto plants in there. Could never find information on slow to flower autos, but a good grower here suggested it to me. Here's that same plant the week before messing with the light schedule :pass:
Screenshot_20240305-200853.png

Back