What is the safest procedure to get rid of a male plant?

A related question showing how little I know about outdoor and natural cannabis growth: How do you reliably grow seedless buds in an area with high density outdoors cannabis growth? Is distance of just say 100s of yards, a part of a mile or whatever good enough to rely on plants not going to seed?

With a single plant able to fertilize a whole field, how do outdoor growers in areas where outdoor legal growing is common keep their plants from going to seed? Do growers (or even local gov't) in such areas band together to do such things as agree to inspect/police outdoor grows and cull male plants; have teams clear abandoned fields or wherever plants are growing wild; etc.?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I think I know what to do now.
The plant doesn't release all of it's pollen all at once on one day. If it rained that day the plant would be screwed. (Or not).
So I think you are right. Water restricts the spread of pollen. The plant will release more pollen tomorrow.
Bag it. Tag it. Sell it to the butcher at the store.
🎶🎵🎼

A related question showing how little I know about outdoor and natural cannabis growth: How do you reliably grow seedless buds in an area with high density outdoors cannabis growth? Is distance of just say 100s of yards, a part of a mile or whatever good enough to rely on plants not going to seed?

With a single plant able to fertilize a whole field, how do outdoor growers in areas where outdoor legal growing is common keep their plants from going to seed? Do growers (or even local gov't) in such areas band together to do such things as agree to inspect/police outdoor grows and cull male plants; have teams clear abandoned fields or wherever plants are growing wild; etc.?
I understand that rouge pollen is a problem in areas where lots of people grow. They do send out notices to neighbors to please keep their males in a safe place and dispose of them properly. They probably do all of the above. Pollen can travel miles. Be glad we don't have to deal with that indoors.

spray/mist it with water, Bag it and remove.

when opening the tent or aproching it dont make loads of vibrations and be carefull not to spread pollen.
clean everything then once its removed, mist the area the plant was sitting first before wiping
Seems logical. I bet there is a ring where the pot was sitting. I'll take a picture. There is pollen everywhere.

Hi there and chiming in regarding pollen. For the better part of 6years, I’ve pollinated something most every cycle. It’s extremely easy to accidentally knock up far more than intended. Water does deactivate pollen immediately.
The problem is more with an open pollination setup, or a mature male left in a tent with receptive females and fans on. When the male is finished or evidence of full pollination ( receded pistils) , I spray all plants, including females and then wipe down all surfaces before putting plants back in the tent, discarding the male.
Spraying the girls stops the process so seeds mature at the same time.
Pollen can find its way to a female from a male a block away. That stuff gets airborne, and in an arid environment, stays active.
Rain only stops released pollen. The sacs open over days so nature manages .
Most commercial cannabis farming is feminized seeds, with breeding done in more controlled space. A neighborhood male, missed or intended can ruin an entire home grow. Done it.

I turned off all fans except the exhaust and lightly misted the inside of the tent by putting my arm through the side vent. I chopped and bagged the males without opening the tent. Next, I carefully removed the males and the autopots they were in. Lots of spraying, wiping and finally wet vacuuming. I misted the female and got as much pollen off it as I could. I replaced the autopot tray with a clean one. Same with the pole clip on fan. Pollen on the light was probably cooked but I cleaned it off too. Now she's all alone in a clean tent. I'll transplant my seedlings tomorrow into their autopots. They should be safe in the room in a separate tent. It will be at least 12 to 15 days before they flower.

I turned off all fans except the exhaust and lightly misted the inside of the tent by putting my arm through the side vent. I chopped and bagged the males without opening the tent. Next, I carefully removed the males and the autopots they were in. Lots of spraying, wiping and finally wet vacuuming. I misted the female and got as much pollen off it as I could. I replaced the autopot tray with a clean one. Same with the pole clip on fan. Pollen on the light was probably cooked but I cleaned it off too. Now she's all alone in a clean tent. I'll transplant my seedlings tomorrow into their autopots. They should be safe in the room in a separate tent. It will be at least 12 to 15 days before they flower.
You should be good. Next crop should be sensi but a seed or two….bonus!

Back