What is the safest procedure to get rid of a male plant?

FullMoonparty

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Sour Stomper by Mephisto
Great news. The big male plant dropped lots of pollen all over the 2x4 tent. The smaller male, not so much, but some. The female in the middle is surely pollinated. So, here's the problem. Two plants that have about 10 days to go are in a nearby tent. I don't think there's enough time for them to get seeded. My concern is about six seedlings that are 12 days old. I removed them from the room and I plan on transplanting them into final five gallon pots. Meanwhile I want to get rid of the male. There is so much pollen I should have no problem collecting it. May as well try. It's there.
I was thinking of putting my arm through the side vent of the tent and use a spray bottle to mist the Male plant to kill the pollen. Will that work?
What precautions should I take to prevent pollinating the seedlings?
I do have the option of putting the two almost finished plants outside in the greenhouse to finish. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a few seeds of Sour Stomper and Coal Miners Daughter pollen.
What's the best way to clean the room of pollen?
I can leave the room empty for a few days if I move the seedlings to another room or put them in the green house.
AM I just being over cautious?
I should add, The "breeding tent" is a 2x4 with a carbon filter exhaust to the outside world. I also put an air purifier in the room. Pollen, dust, mold, germs and whatever UV kills. The plants are in Autopots so I did not have to open the tent at all.
What about the fertilized female? should I keep her isolated? For how long? Could I or should I give her a misting?

Last edited:
I can't provide real answers, but here's some input:

"Seedlings" or other plants that have no flowers shouldn't, simply can't be pollenated; similarly plants that have already gone through sufficient bloom growth and already fertilized, forming mature buds, will not be re-pollenatable. So I presume your main concern is how long any free/released pollen remains viable to in the future potentially fertilize plants.

But what is the life expectancy of free/released cannabis pollen? Obviously, it must be limited, or otherwise breeders would have major problems with old pollen fertilizing plants.

I don't know how "misting" and with what you can mist with that will selectively kill/inactivate pollen. Anything that will inactivate pollen, which are designed to be very robust, such as freely float around in bright sunlight, is likely to be toxic to the plants and/or be something you don't want on your buds when harvested.

I'd would guess that repeatedly blowing-out the tent and area, vigorously blowing a fan in every nook and cranny, should get rid of any free, potentially airborne pollen?

Water de-activates pollen. Mist well and wipe down.

spray/mist it with water, Bag it and remove.

when opening the tent or aproching it dont make loads of vibrations and be carefull not to spread pollen.
clean everything then once its removed, mist the area the plant was sitting first before wiping

Water de-activates pollen. Mist well and wipe down.
Water deactivates, 'kills,' pollen on contact? How does pollen survive rain, fog, in tropical rain forests, etc.?

I can see water 'deactivating' pollen in the sense of wet pollen sticking to surfaces, settling to the ground, being easy to wipe up, etc.; but water actually being toxic or doing physical damage to pollen grains/spores/particles or their protected genetic content? How does that work?

From botany courses decades ago, I recall pollen, like fungal and other microbial spores, being able to survive diverse environmental conditions, travel in the air some distance, survive long time in proper storage, etc.

Water deactivates, 'kills,' pollen on contact? How does pollen survive rain, fog, in tropical rain forests, etc.?

I can see water 'deactivating' pollen in the sense of wet pollen sticking to surfaces, settling to the ground, being easy to wipe up, etc.; but water actually being toxic or doing physical damage to pollen grains/spores/particles or their protected genetic content? How does that work?

From botany courses decades ago, I recall pollen, like fungal and other microbial spores, being able to survive diverse environmental conditions, travel in the air some distance, survive long time in proper storage, etc.
Its pretty well established that cannabis pollen is destroyed by water/moisture. This isnt specific to canna but still. "Proper storage" of pollen includes drying and the use of dessicants to keep moisture from damaging the pollen. Cannabis overcomes this disadvantage by producing a ton of pollen over a period of several weeks.
Screenshot_20230722_124120_Chrome.jpg

OK, so osmotic shock deactivates cannabis pollen. But outside, how/why isn't cannabis pollen deactivated by repeated exposure to rain, dew, etc. as the particles develop or come to maturity (are ready for release)? Or is so much excess pollen produced that even if just a few in say a million survive to reach the pistil/ovary that's enough to pollenate and productively make seeds?

Last edited:
OK, so osmotic shock deactivates cannabis pollen. But outside, how/why isn't cannabis pollen deactivated by repeated exposure to rain, dew, etc. as the particles develop or come to maturity (are ready for release)?
good question lol
maybe deactivated means out of imediate use cos why does enviromental moisture not make pollen useless like you mentioned.
im thinking its just not in useable form when damp.

like asbestos, ppl damp it down to when destroying old sheds and stuff to stop it being in thier air and so its dust dont get breathed in and fucks up the lungs. but when it drys again its a problem.

maybe pollen just cant used when wet or damp and when it drys out it can be used again by the plant.

OK, so osmotic shock deactivates cannabis pollen. But outside, how/why isn't cannabis pollen deactivated by repeated exposure to rain, dew, etc. as the particles develop or come to maturity (are ready for release)?
It would be deactivated outside the same as it would be inside, dont see why it would be different?
In nature/outside it overcomes the fact that water deactivates the pollen by dropping a lot of pollen at different times over the course of several weeks.

One male produces enough pollen to seed an entire field of females, so in a natural setting where there is a near 50/50 split m/f there is more than enough pollen produced to sustain populations. And each plant flowers at a slightly different rate/time, also to increase the amount of time for pollination to occur.

Last edited:
If misting, cleaning, etc. with plain water works to inactivate pollen, is/would it be better, more potent and reliably effective to add a wetting or similar agent, presumably to make the pollen shell more water permeable?

Back