12/12 vs 18/6 ... DLI vs Yield

KodakB

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This has been boggling my mind so i need to ask for opinions,

Its commonly believed that a autoflower with 12/12 cycle yields way less then 18/6 cycle. But in the video "Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee" at 20:24 , Dr. Bruce Bugbee says "it turns out its not PPFD [that matters], is DLI".

So by watching a DLI chart i noticed that one can have 40DLI with both 12 hours light or 18hours light, depending on the amount of PPFD.

So my theory is: Autoflowers 12/12 can yield as much as 18/6 as long as you increase the PPFD's accordingly (by light distance or intensity).

ie:

18hours at 625 PPFD = 40DLI
12 hours at 925 PPFD = 40 DLI.

So, same yield.. ?

Attachments

• DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png
    DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 682
Hey guys,

Its commonly believed that a autoflower with 12/12 cycle yields way less then 18/6 cycle. But in the video "Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee" at 20:24 , Dr. Bruce Bugbee says "it turns out its not PPFD [that matters], is DLI".

So by watching a DLI chart i noticed that one can have 40DLI with both 12 hours light or 18hours light, depending on the amount of PPFD.

So my theory is: Autoflowers 12/12 can yield as much as 18/6 as long as you increase the PPFD's accordingly (by light distance or intensity).

ie:

So, same yield.. ?

@damien50 can probably help ya

Hey guys,

ie:

So, same yield.. ?

I can't really say what your hypothetical yield may be like especially with autos and the variety in phenos.

Test it across a decent auto strain but I predominantly deal with photos and I believe Bugbee's work has been with photos. Imo, you'll need a dialed in environment and a par meter to bring clarity to results but you're working with various phenos either way.

@automan2 runs 12/12 for autos so he might know more than me.

Hey guys,

ie:

So, same yield.. ?

Interesting stuff.

If it was true then a 24/0 cycle should allow running less wattage to make up for running 24/7?

A while back I saw one of the mods post about this subject, while maybe being framed differently. I've duplicated the results.... but I can't remember who it was that should get the credit for it.
Autos at 12/12 leave a lot to be desired.
@ 18/6 I hit a point of diminishing returns. More light begins to become much more costly for the added returns seen.
Over 18 hrs will add a bit of weight, will increase the cost more than its worth to get there, and if I blind pick, quality begins to fall off.
I'll run higher lighting hrs, but it is usually due to trying to hold another parameter in line.

All this new stuff dli etc... I increase until they get a bit pissed and back off. Every girl is different.

Back when I ran hps, I ran 2 x 600w. An old timer (@ the time) suggested moving to a 1000w to increase the bag appeal. Dropping the 200w, but increasing the intensity made for nugs so rock hard I never looked back.

When they start turning away you've hit their limits, until then, they're doing something with it.

Hey guys,

ie:

So, same yield.. ?

Absolutely correct 40 DLI is 40 DLI.

Did I hear perpetual grow, heat control, mixed autos-photos grow. It opens possibilities.

If it was true then a 24/0 cycle should allow running less wattage to make up for running 24/7?

Yeah thats my theory. At 24/7 you would only need 425 ppfd to achieve the same 40 DLI.

Absolutely correct 40 DLI is 40 DLI.

Did I hear perpetual grow, heat control, mixed autos-photos grow. It opens possibilities.

So im right :D ? im not sure if thats sarcasm.. But yeah this would be really useful because i run a perpetual grow and i have autos and photos mixed in there.

So im right :D ? im not sure if thats sarcasm.. But yeah this would be really useful because i run a perpetual grow and i have autos and photos mixed in there.
Not sarcasm science!

Back