Airpot Watering Tip.

Great tip thanks Tang, really makes what can be a frustrating and messy job ALOT easier, even more so when using 1L pots.

A much deserved :slap: for this tip bro.

When building airpots make sure (as pictured above) that the top row of cones are the ones without holes and fill soil level above the layer below.

When building airpots make sure that the round concave base is bending out the way so that it is only a few mm of the base of your tray, the other way keeps the base up about 15mm of the base.

If really dry get a round container or bucket to sit pot in and then top and bottom water. do it slowly and carefully as you don't want to wash compost out of the lower holes.

I personally think its best to have your round concave base a row higher to ensure a good airflow.

Tangs sloping of soils works very well, first timer with airpots I've been doing that and it allows me to water much more quickly and easily.

Hey TaNg....Cheers for the Tip, will use this very soon :) .....

I can't figure out is the whole top of the soil concave shaped or there is couple of inches of flat top? Because if it's concave in the middle and flat on the sides wouldn't that redirect the moisture towards the center of the pot leaving outer part (where the holes are) dry? The roots follow moisture, right? And if we dont have moisture on the most important part of the pot - doesn't it loose its purpouse? Maybe I have wrong clues about this? And can I add clay pellets and diatomaceous earth regardles how the top looks like?

I can't figure out is the whole top of the soil concave shaped or there is couple of inches of flat top? Because if it's concave in the middle and flat on the sides wouldn't that redirect the moisture towards the center of the pot leaving outer part (where the holes are) dry? The roots follow moisture, right? And if we dont have moisture on the most important part of the pot - doesn't it loose its purpouse? Maybe I have wrong clues about this? And can I add clay pellets and diatomaceous earth regardles how the top looks like?

Hey there! I'm sure that capillary action will take care of it and the moisture will even out shortly.

great thread so I thought I would contribute.
I stick a single probe moisture meter right into a hole at the bottom, about a third of diameter of the pot in, don't want to touch the tap root.
then I water from the middle really slowly, but not with a watering can, I use a gravity drip bag feeder.

dripper.JPG

I only use one pipe from the bottom of it tho, not a line, and put that in the middle of the pot.
fill it up with what you think, they can hold 6l max each bag,, and walk away,.. come back if probe reads wet, I check other holes to see if reading is the same.
if not, leave the probe where it is and carry on slowly drip feeding her.
They love the slow drip drip drip dripping, bit like I rain I spose, running down the centre stalk.
And some one said that if you water from just the middle, concave soil or not, then the water may not reach the sides?
yeah it does if you water slowly enough, or it will just bore a hole through and out the bottom or gush out of the sides,,,nice and slow is the key with airpots and,, from the middle., Superb advice that is Tang, nice one bro,. I myself learnt that from yourself many many grow cycles ago,. Much kudos bro.

I have filled my air pot up wrong
up side down what a noob does this matter should I repot it or will it be ok

Back