Autoflowering Defoliation: Positive or Negative

Defoliation is great, when combined with training to open up the structure of the plant to create more productive branches. Exposing branches to light by STRATEGICALLY removing obstructive fan leaves is a good way to get those branches light, and improve airflow.

If your genetics are weak, or your strain is temperamental, you are shit out of luck. You'll do more harm than good. Otherwise, it is a beneficial technique when properly applied to HEALTHY plants. It's always a good idea to limit defoliating sessions to 5 leaves or so, and it would be wise to use silica additives for further stress resistance.

If you believe under no circumstances is defoliation beneficial, I suggest you take a look at the results of vertical growers. It is widely accepted that defoliation is beneficial as well as necessary in vertical lighting configurations.

how is it necessary in vertical lighting configurations ?

and why go through all that training and raping of the plants , spending wayyyyy more time ?

imho defoliation is NOT advanced , it is old age and wrong

let me know when the day comes that professional plant biologists prove defoliation is a benefit , including a timely one , because its been proven since records have been able to be published/shared that plucking the plants leaves is BAD

none of this he said she said opinion stuff

[video=youtube;xYq7CuVpAeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYq7CuVpAeo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYq7CuVpAeo

Jorge Cervantes says it well in this vid , SCIENCE , "not hearsay" "not empirical observation"

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa!

Steady on there b0b, no one here is advocating "raping" the li'l ol' plants. Are they? I love to see an impassioned debate. All I can say is that defoliation intrigued me and as a non scientific test I have tried it somewhat myself and so far I can see no difference at all by defrocking 'em. All hail King Jorge.
Might try buggering 'em next time.... eP.

Can't believe I said that!

Whoa!

Steady on there b0b, no one here is advocating "raping" the li'l ol' plants. Are they? I love to see an impassioned debate. All I can say is that defoliation intrigued me and as a non scientific test I have tried it somewhat myself and so far I can see no difference at all by defrocking 'em. All hail King Jorge.
Might try buggering 'em next time.... eP.

Can't believe I said that!

whats the difference ? i might just defoliate my wife tonight

hehe :hump:

Man,Ive seen such a bias on this thread since experianced growers say its wrong.it can be employ to a slight dgree with SOME added benefit.I remain humble always.i too have been growing since I was 16(im 43) on organic tree farms and nurseries and growing cannabis for almost as long.Im not really a noob.newmaybe.but NOT a noob.Dont bother banning me or contacvting me since I dont believe ill be backanytime soon.i always thought this was a debate.not a tell how to thread.

I have spent the last 20+ years of a mis spent youth trying to remain easy going and mellow.And honest and truthful.when Im called dishonest and even a LIAR in not somany words.THOSE words hurt me to no end.I cant seem to get past it since I am always the one to kick the bully in the nuts.My lesion is killin me ,pissing me off even more so....Ive been told ALL of my youth Im worthless and will never amount to nothing.I changed that theory hard n fast many many years. ago.A sour tatse has built to the point that it seem not to educte propely in a debating foramt.i am flat out being told Im wrong when in FACt I know its not for everyone but it can HELP,not work 100% but it can help in some cases.to not recognise that is bullshit and bias.Im beyond aware of ole Jorges vids.I cut my teeth on them and his book years back.So since it severals thinking its wrong.ofcourse it HAS tobe wrong across the board.thats bullshit.I could go on and on as to how WRONG this is.im oneof thee most truthful perople you'll ever run across and to call me a liar I say F*CK YOU!!yes go ahead n ban me.its ok.I full well expect to be banned.But I would like to compensate our mutual friend for his.her beans he sent me before this happens if I am able,if he/she decides to want any.short of that I think i will not be around for a looong time.thats a damned shame too cuz I love this place but to have a bias view of only one direction and cant have a simple debate and ME having to BOW to someone saying IM wrong when in fact its not the greatest way of doing something but yet know it CAN and DOES improve in SOMEnot all circumstances.is flat bullshit.ya delete the post sonoone see me telling it how it is.this is wrong.a vibe kept thread and being told Im a frigin liar and a dishonest man.I dont care who you are nor IF you have any type of sickness,gives NOONE the right to call ANYONE a liar and/or a dishonest person when I strive for the exact opposite daily.and when you dont know me and what Im about and never even gotten to know me and judge me in a formet such as this is ALSO wrong.soo ya'll swallow that.Im out.and ill be back under another name ofcourse as I was once before(lost pass wrod n crap) but Im here to educate not tell ppl how it is or I THINK it is.give the people proper info and let them make the choice.and life life decision in helping themselves.I have a medical backgroud too,I wa ssooo looking forward to sharing when i got my laptop back,but I dont think I can get the sour taste of a biasness outta me.Ok wel I guess thats that.Aunty,Thank you EVER so much for the knowledge youve shared as well as Eek ,Root and many other ive spkoen with.you know who you are.Stone!Thank you brother,Stick be well.everyone.take care and be easy.

environment , including reflective surfaces and strategic lighting play a far better role in plant production then the added time needed when defoliating

id rather finish 2 crops instead of one in the same time or close to it

:Sharing One:

- - - Updated - - -

Man,Ive seen such a bias on this thread since experianced growers say its wrong.it can be employ to a slight dgree with SOME added benefit.I remain humble always.i too have been growing since I was 16(im 43) on organic tree farms and nurseries and growing cannabis for almost as long.Im not really a noob.newmaybe.but NOT a noob.Dont bother banning me or contacvting me since I dont believe ill be backanytime soon.i always thought this was a debate.not a tell how to thread.

I have spent the last 20+ years of a mis spent youth trying to remain easy going and mellow.And honest and truthful.when Im called dishonest and even a LIAR in not somany words.THOSE words hurt me to no end.I cant seem to get past it since I am always the one to kick the bully in the nuts.My lesion is killin me ,pissing me off even more so....Ive been told ALL of my youth Im worthless and will never amount to nothing.I changed that theory hard n fast many many years. ago.A sour tatse has built to the point that it seem not to educte propely in a debating foramt.i am flat out being told Im wrong when in FACt I know its not for everyone but it can HELP,not work 100% but it can help in some cases.to not recognise that is bullshit and bias.Im beyond aware of ole Jorges vids.I cut my teeth on them and his book years back.So since it severals thinking its wrong.ofcourse it HAS tobe wrong across the board.thats bullshit.I could go on and on as to how WRONG this is.im oneof thee most truthful perople you'll ever run across and to call me a liar I say F*CK YOU!!yes go ahead n ban me.its ok.I full well expect to be banned.But I would like to compensate our mutual friend for his.her beans he sent me before this happens if I am able,if he/she decides to want any.short of that I think i will not be around for a looong time.thats a damned shame too cuz I love this place but to have a bias view of only one direction and cant have a simple debate and ME having to BOW to someone saying IM wrong when in fact its not the greatest way of doing something but yet know it CAN and DOES improve in SOMEnot all circumstances.is flat bullshit.ya delete the post sonoone see me telling it how it is.this is wrong.a vibe kept thread and being told Im a frigin liar and a dishonest man.I dont care who you are nor IF you have any type of sickness,gives NOONE the right to call ANYONE a liar and/or a dishonest person when I strive for the exact opposite daily.and when you dont know me and what Im about and never even gotten to know me and judge me in a formet such as this is ALSO wrong.soo ya'll swallow that.Im out.and ill be back under another name ofcourse as I was once before(lost pass wrod n crap) but Im here to educate not tell ppl how it is or I THINK it is.give the people proper info and let them make the choice.and life life decision in helping themselves.I have a medical backgroud too,I wa ssooo looking forward to sharing when i got my laptop back,but I dont think I can get the sour taste of a biasness outta me.Ok wel I guess thats that.Aunty,Thank you EVER so much for the knowledge youve shared as well as Eek ,Root and many other ive spkoen with.you know who you are.Stone!Thank you brother,Stick be well.everyone.take care and be easy.

i didnt and no one else called you a liar , i strongly believe you are being dishonest with yourself , not flat out lying to us

i dont see reason for you getting banned , and i doubt anyone else will either

we are passionate , right ?

i still say this though ,,,,,

show me , SCIENCE , "not hearsay" "not empirical observation"

i also strongly believe that when a person defoliates they are spending extra time (thats obvious) and without realising it , that "extra' time and effort helped make improvements in other areas

peace

Last edited by a moderator:
EOF,

Peace bruv, it is Easter. Time to celebrate, whatever your leanings. Out of the four Agreements, number two is the hardest. You know that. But probably the best of the four lessons. A gentle reminder, cuz I don't want to lose ya. I/WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO LOSE YA. Loud enough?

No. 2

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

Peace and good health, eP.

EOF,

Peace bruv, it is Easter. Time to celebrate, whatever your leanings. Out of the four Agreements, number two is the hardest. You know that. But probably the best of the four lessons. A gentle reminder, cuz I don't want to lose ya. I/WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO LOSE YA. Loud enough?

No. 2

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

Peace and good health, eP.

3. whats typed on the internet can be taken wrong/out of context

What the hell got him all fired up? Defoliating is a choice that is up to the grower.There is no right or wrong on this subject so keep that in mind.I personally do some defoliating when the plants get bigger and some of the lower and inner fan leaves are completely shaded by the canopy.I figure if there not receiving light they are little benefit so I remove them.You can also call it lolipoping and ther are articles on this and defoliating,to each his own.And to eyes on fire just calm down and chill for awhile.

What the hell got him all fired up? Defoliating is a choice that is up to the grower.There is no right or wrong on this subject so keep that in mind.I personally do some defoliating when the plants get bigger and some of the lower and inner fan leaves are completely shaded by the canopy.I figure if there not receiving light they are little benefit so I remove them.You can also call it lolipoping and ther are articles on this and defoliating,to each his own.And to eyes on fire just calm down and chill for awhile.

its a highly debatable topic is all , sometimes a persons passion can get the better of them

including myself

stick around EOF

lol peace everyone

ya know what Bob,your right eP your right too.man Dub's frigin Sagitarius horscope was frigin spot on,I took it ersonal and just lit out on you.which was WORNG on fifty different levelsfor that I Am and always will be TRULy sorry.please accept my applologies Bob,and AFN as a whole.

The comment I was talking about is a handful of posts down when bob said on that article about advanced growing thingy,you said were they being hoest,prolly not and not truthful.I took that (since I donated to that some time back) as a direc attck of my trustworthiness and honesty. your soo right.I stewed over it and should have handled it different.I still feel SOME soo not all of my last post stands as far as it not being for everyone,but still a doable thig to help some growers.,bu thats either here nor there at this point.Im just saying brothers,Im truly sorry and will feel bad for sometime since I lashed out.please forgive me!damn I hate nothaving meds sometimes I bug out sometimes for no damnedreason.crap,now I feel like a jerk again.gawd i wish I knew why I did that.Im sorry Bob and AFN Family.I beg for your forgivness and truly didnt want to disturb the vibe.I can promise EVERYONE i'll handle things VERY VERY different from now on.I actually do live everyday as best I can to the four rules believe it or not.Some days its just reallly frigin hard to remember it of you rhavng a bad day.:hug:

- - - Updated - - -

ya know what Bob,your right eP your right too.man Dub's frigin moon in Sagitarius horscope was frigin spot on,I took it ersonal and just lit out on you.which was WORNG on fifty different levelsfor that I Am and always will be TRULy sorry.please accept my applologies Bob,and AFN as a whole.

The comment I was talking about is a handful of posts down when bob said on that article about advanced growing thingy,you said were they being hoest,prolly not and not truthful.I took that (since I donated to that some time back) as a direc attck of my trustworthiness and honesty. your soo right.I stewed over it and should have handled it different.I still feel SOME soo not all of my last post stands as far as it not being for everyone,but still a doable thig to help some growers.,bu thats either here nor there at this point.Im just saying brothers,Im truly sorry and will feel bad for sometime since I lashed out.please forgive me!damn I hate nothaving meds sometimes I bug out sometimes for no damnedreason.crap,now I feel like a jerk again.gawd i wish I knew why I did that.Im sorry Bob and AFN Family.I beg for your forgivness and truly didnt want to disturb the vibe.I can promise EVERYONE i'll handle things VERY VERY different from now on.I actually do live everyday as best I can to the four rules believe it or not.Some days its just reallly frigin hard to remember it of you rhavng a bad day.:hug::bow::peace:

Back