Bigger Pot = Longer Grow Time

bigger pots = longer growth cycles ?

• YES

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • NO

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters
Best size pot for super stinky super auto buy stitch short stuff seeds Supposed to be a 40-90 inch tall plant ??? G oi t one germinateing now jus rather have right size pot for it .

I just tested this running the same 4 strains in diff pot size (2 gallon vs 3 gallon) and oddly enough the 3 gallon all finished first, with not much differential at all in plant size/yield. Possibly not a big enough difference in pot size. Will run 5 gal vs 2 gal to see if any changes.

I just tested this running the same 4 strains in diff pot size (2 gallon vs 3 gallon) and oddly enough the 3 gallon all finished first, with not much differential at all in plant size/yield. Possibly not a big enough difference in pot size. Will run 5 gal vs 2 gal to see if any changes.

Nice please do let us know the results. It may have been that the limited room to let the roots stretch and develop an adequate root ball slowed things down. It may be the case where too small can also have adverse effects as opposed to too large. I think every strain has its sweet spot when it comes to pot size.

I say "No, Not really." Due to the fact that the grow in my signature is moving along at the same rate as one in a 5 gallon bucket, and both popped up within hours of each other.
Maybe using a 5 gallon bucket as a "small pot" skews my opinion. Leaves and buds are bigger on the "big pot" plant, But the two are at the same stage of growth.
*edit*
I'll update this when both come down next month, if there's any difference in growth time.

I grow a lot of plants in the biggest pot of all, the Earth. One of the reasons I have gone 100% autoflower is because of the relative consistency in timing.

There's no question bigger pots lead to bigger plants and yields, but that's because of available resources, not because they are somehow slower autoflowers.

There is a lot of room for confirmation bias in a topic like this, esptwhen there is no concise opinion of when a plant is ''done'.

I grow a lot of plants in the biggest pot of all, the Earth. One of the reasons I have gone 100% autoflower is because of the relative consistency in timing.

There's no question bigger pots lead to bigger plants and yields, but that's because of available resources, not because they are somehow slower autoflowers.

There is a lot of room for confirmation bias in a topic like this, esptwhen there is no concise opinion of when a plant is ''done'.

Agreed!

This is actually really interesting for me.. I have 4 autos at 11 weeks old and they are at a late preflower stage. I was swaying towards bad genes and am almost ready to bin them and start over as too much time and effort wasted on them as I could of used photoperiods instead.
Their size isn't astounding for that length of time by any means. They look like any other I've grown. BUT I have changed from the norm to bigger pots. Double the size i usually use!
Maybe the extra room in the soil is making them take longer... its given me a bit of hope for them anyway... interesting read nonetheless! If anyone is interested I will keep updating along with pics etc. Maybe even be able to have a little input to the question too! Happy growing guys! Stay safe!!!

This is actually really interesting for me.. I have 4 autos at 11 weeks old and they are at a late preflower stage. I was swaying towards bad genes and am almost ready to bin them and start over as too much time and effort wasted on them as I could of used photoperiods instead.
Their size isn't astounding for that length of time by any means. They look like any other I've grown. BUT I have changed from the norm to bigger pots. Double the size i usually use!
Maybe the extra room in the soil is making them take longer... its given me a bit of hope for them anyway... interesting read nonetheless! If anyone is interested I will keep updating along with pics etc. Maybe even be able to have a little input to the question too! Happy growing guys! Stay safe!!!
How big of a pot we talking. Idk about 11 weeks.. what genetics? Pic be nice. If got a journal give a tag and I'll take a peek

I'm only on my first grow so I'm not speaking from much experience but I have six 3 gallon canvas pots with the same strain growing in Coco/Perlite, this strain (Northern Lights x Big Buds Auto from Weedseedsexpress.com) was listed as 11-13 weeks to finish and it iis the end of week 14 going on week 15 from today, most will probably finish up this week but some can be left for another week.
I had a 7th plant that started in a small 1/2 L pot and later transplanted in to a 1 gallon (approx) because it was rootbound.
Plant No. 7 I was chopping and smoking from already at week 10 but some of the bigger pots still have a week or even two to go and they even look at 2 or 3 different stages in the same pots, biggest plant of the six will probably yield 3 times as much as the one I chopped down yesterday (268g of proper trimmed dense buds *wet weight* now drying and another 80-90 gram of sugar coated wet trim for the freezer.
I'm sure pot size plays a part but so does Topping, LST, Defoliation and Trimming, 2-3 weeks in finishing difference and big difference in yield is just something we have to accept in Autos I think, some strains more than others probably.

My experience is that the root system appears to roughly mirror the branching up top. I use a large 16L pot full of clay pellets, but then when the roots get to the bottom they can then relax in a separate shallow nutrient soup and also a humid air space as well..

Back