Bigger Pot = Longer Grow Time

bigger pots = longer growth cycles ?

• YES

Votes: 69 74.2%
  • NO

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters
Might be a coincidence, but from my limited experience autoflowers on larger container size trigger flowering later.

I've grown autos on 11L pots and they always started pre-flower day 21, all of them. But this time i used 20L and 30L pots and they started flowering much later..

All of my 4 autos were growing at same rate, but the ones in 20L pots started flowering day 35, and the one in 30L pot only started pre-flower day 45 (!) the breeder said seed-to-harvest was 55-60 days lol.

Hello fellow AFNers, contrary to what some people say and think about autoflowers having some kind of programmed life cycle, i have found over the years certain factors can speed up and slow things down. Just as their photoperiod brothers and sisters i believe a stunted autoflower does not necessarily mean a decline in final product and yield but only a delay in getting there. I feel an autoflower will switch the flower switch when its ready.

One factor i am curious to get other peoples opinions on is pot sizes, particurlary in soil. I think there is a correlation ie. Bigger pot longer veg and flower time. For me over the years i have increased the pot sizes i used from 12l up to 30l over time and think these larger plants in larger pots seem to take considerably longer to finish.

This is an open discussion so please feel free to throw in you 2 cents and cast your votes.:pass:
Thanks for asking this. I have watched several grows with mixed pot sizes and my 3g autos seem to jump out of the pot at 5 weeks but 5's and 7's can take much longer. To be honest, I have been guessing it is about the roots hitting the perimeters of the pots, sides and bottoms. This is what I am watching now.

Attachments

• AMike5and3.jpg
    AMike5and3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
i'm new to autos. 5 gallon grow bags are my go to. i have used every size from 1" pots (this was my multiple, up potting phase) to 7 gallon.

my autos all flowered around day 21 to late 20s. i wasn't paying much attention to them. they did all have roots hugging the bottoms of the pots and more roots is a good thing.

i did 3 gallons for a long time as i squeezed way too many plants in closets looking for that perfect genetic to make mother plants.

i averaged 3 oz per plant under xs2000 lights. i just got a KS5000 and am curious what the difference may bring.

gotta go with 5 gallons as i'm limited to 6 plants in flower. the limit sucks but it's much better than jumping a bit everytime someone rang the front door bell!
1674667666399.png

Been growing WW autos in 5 gallon fabric pots. They always were late flowering in the 45-55 day range. This time I went with a 2 gallon fabric pot and the same results…late flowering. So I’m going to have to say this is a myth somewhat. The other autos the same age are flowering but they flowered in 5 gallons around day 35 also. So I see no difference in speed or size for that matter

Im not convinced its as simple as bigger pot longer veg. Ive seen 20l potted autos flower show sex at day 21 . Deep pots however may delay flowering from what Ive seen/heard.

The grow I am finishing up, I used 4 tall 7 gal fabric pots and 2 tall 5 gal .
Both fives and 2 of the sevens flowered in 22 or 23 days. The other 2 sevens
flowered around 35 days. Some of it is strain dependent, I'm sure lighting and nutrition
play a part.

I’m only on my 5th grow but always grew in 3gal so this run I have a 3 and 5 side by side. They’re in coco and they sprouted within an hour of each other and have been growing at an IDENTICAL pace but immediately proportional in size to their pots. For example on each plant the 2nd node fan tips reached the pot’s edge at the same time but the 5g was about 30% larger in dimension. I have no idea yet how this relates to age of maturation or yield but it was eye opening for me to see the 5gal plant be IMMEDIATELY larger in size while exactly on pace with the 3gal. I expected to see a size difference later I guess, but that’s the fun part of being a new grower, always surprised at something! They’re 32 days and I’m gonna start some training today.
F4412FBE-AA27-46F9-8AFD-5CD94C87B51C.jpeg
4D57A189-13A5-4A0C-B736-04FEB5F45B3D.jpeg
C64BB94C-B3F1-407F-ADD2-4028E14D795D.jpeg

There is some methodology in a bigger pot the flower cycle will start a little later. It is not massive though to be honest the bigger pot is going to give you a larger yield, but not because veg time is longer. It has more to do with larger root mass and nutrient uptake. Genetics and random phenos will effect it as well. IE going from a 3 gallon to a 5 gallon will show a big difference. Going from 7 to 10 not as much. There is a diminishing return unless your in coco just dumping mass amounts of salt. I know with soil you definitely see the yield. If I grow in a 30 gallon it is not like i am going to push out veg to 30-45 days. There used to be a guy on here that had some journals where he was most successful extending veg by aggressively topping and LST. I think it just stressed the plant enough to hold it back. Even then it wasn't really worth the effort in my opinion. If you want yield get a bigger pot and and XXL strain. There are plenty of them out there now. Though most of them take forever to finish, but that is another topic.

Back