Gnome Automatics Blessings Be to the Black Strap

Reaction score
Alright folks, first time grower here so any advice is welcomed and encouraged. That being said, I believe I've put in the prep work and materials needed to do this plant justice.

Pictured: The Black Strap is in the back and 17 days old. The plant in front is a 20 day old Witch Doctor.
PXL_20210530_214011597.jpg PXL_20210530_214033870.jpg

Here's the situation:
-Indoor tent (2x2x5)
-SF1000 LED light (ran 24/0 for the seedlings but switched over to 20/4 after the first couple weeks), started out at 60% but have gradually worked my way up to 100%.
-2 honeywell fans
-carbon filter
-Medium is a 3 gal fabric pot, 75% Roots Organics original 25% worm castings with 3 tbsp/gal of dry amendments (Mother Earth brand) mixed in (bottom half has a bloom mix and top half has a rooting mix).
-Watered the seedlings with Deer Park spring water, switched to tap water filtered through a Brita Longlast and dechlorinated by letting it sit for 24 hours, and PH'd down to 6.5. I've been watering 750ml every 3-4 days.
-Tent is in my basement but the temp/humidity has been great sitting around 75 degrees F, 50-60%
-I top dressed both plants with a tbsp of DynoMyco at about week 1

Thanks to everyone that's helped me out already, this has been a great community to stumble into.

I'll try to update here every week or so but I'd love to hear from people not only growing this F1 but also the Black Label Cookies III and Anvil F7. Also, like I said I'm growing a Witch Doctor if anyone has any experience with that or the Dinafem or HSO Bubba Kush but I might post another thread in Magic's section to focus on that.

Alright folks, first time grower here so any advice is welcomed and encouraged. That being said, I believe I've put in the prep work and materials needed to do this plant justice.

Pictured: The Black Strap is in the back and 17 days old. The plant in front is a 20 day old Witch Doctor.
View attachment 1324559 View attachment 1324560

Here's the situation:
-Indoor tent (2x2x5)
-SF1000 LED light (ran 24/0 for the seedlings but switched over to 20/4 after the first couple weeks), started out at 60% but have gradually worked my way up to 100%.
-2 honeywell fans
-carbon filter
-Medium is a 3 gal fabric pot, 75% Roots Organics original 25% worm castings with 3 tbsp/gal of dry amendments (Mother Earth brand) mixed in (bottom half has a bloom mix and top half has a rooting mix).
-Watered the seedlings with Deer Park spring water, switched to tap water filtered through a Brita Longlast and dechlorinated by letting it sit for 24 hours, and PH'd down to 6.5. I've been watering 750ml every 3-4 days.
-Tent is in my basement but the temp/humidity has been great sitting around 75 degrees F, 50-60%
-I top dressed both plants with a tbsp of DynoMyco at about week 1

Thanks to everyone that's helped me out already, this has been a great community to stumble into.

I'll try to update here every week or so but I'd love to hear from people not only growing this F1 but also the Black Label Cookies III and Anvil F7. Also, like I said I'm growing a Witch Doctor if anyone has any experience with that or the Dinafem or HSO Bubba Kush but I might post another thread in Magic's section to focus on that.
Welcome! You have done an excellent job choosing cultivars from top breeders. Seems you did your homework. I have grown all you mentioned except Black Strap, but plan to get one in dirt this Fall.
Looking great so far. New growers (old ones too) tend to overwater, so adding a bit of perlite helps and prevents compaction that occurs after weeks of watering. Don’t be afraid to fill your pots to the top..... more medium= more root space.
You might consider topping, as both of Black Strap’s parents get to be 3footers in 3g. bags. Subbed for your grow!
BTW....Anvil and WD are in my top 5, and always in my tent.

Welcome! You have done an excellent job choosing cultivars from top breeders. Seems you did your homework. I have grown all you mentioned except Black Strap, but plan to get one in dirt this Fall.
Looking great so far. New growers (old ones too) tend to overwater, so adding a bit of perlite helps and prevents compaction that occurs after weeks of watering. Don’t be afraid to fill your pots to the top..... more medium= more root space.
You might consider topping, as both of Black Strap’s parents get to be 3footers in 3g. bags. Subbed for your grow!
BTW....Anvil and WD are in my top 5, and always in my tent.

Much appreciated! I honestly didn't even think about soil level until a week ago, I was too concerned with having correct ratios lol. That WD is already really tall, could I add soil at this point? The BS is still a little too close to the ground to do that at least right now. The Roots Organic has a good bit of perlite but I've been watering when the soil is dry up to a knuckle. Is that a good measure of when to water you think?

I've been going back and forth in my head about topping but I think I've decided I'm going to top both above the 4th node. I'm definitely going to start training hopefully this week, just want to make sure the stems are thick enough.

Much appreciated! I honestly didn't even think about soil level until a week ago, I was too concerned with having correct ratios lol. That WD is already really tall, could I add soil at this point? The BS is still a little too close to the ground to do that at least right now. The Roots Organic has a good bit of perlite but I've been watering when the soil is dry up to a knuckle. Is that a good measure of when to water you think?

I've been going back and forth in my head about topping but I think I've decided I'm going to top both above the 4th node. I'm definitely going to start training hopefully this week, just want to make sure the stems are thick enough.
I would save the pot filling for the next round, as the WD and BS both have genetics that will challenge your height restrictions....so less medium will help with that. Topping with also control height.
Don’t be afraid to lift the pots and get an idea as to weight. If they feel light, time to water. In another week or so, you can comfortably water until fully saturated.
Very nice start!

Quick photo update for the followers. Things are going great, I topped both plants: 5th node for the BS and 4th node for the WD. I also tied down both stems and have just been tucking leaves for the past week. I'll start tying down branches when they get long enough.

Black Strap (left) Day 26, Witch Doctor (right) Day 29
PXL_20210608_213432507.jpg

Here's your regular BS/WD update. I've just been watering with dechlorinated tap water PH'd down to 6.2 and yesterday I top dressed both plants with 3tbsp each of 4-5-6 and 1/2 cup of worm castings. The Witch Doctor is flowering like crazy but the Black Strap is still chugging along. Very happy with the growth so far and mildly terrified about their potential size in my 2x2x5 tent, what do y'all think? I'm gonna eventually remove the in-line fan so I can move the light all the way up tot the ceiling.

Pictured: Black Strap (left) Day 34, Witch Doctor (right) Day 37

Attachments

• PXL_20210616_140558259.jpg
    PXL_20210616_140558259.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 108
Here's your regular BS/WD update. I've just been watering with dechlorinated tap water PH'd down to 6.2 and yesterday I top dressed both plants with 3tbsp each of 4-5-6 and 1/2 cup of worm castings. The Witch Doctor is flowering like crazy but the Black Strap is still chugging along. Very happy with the growth so far and mildly terrified about their potential size in my 2x2x5 tent, what do y'all think? I'm gonna eventually remove the in-line fan so I can move the light all the way up tot the ceiling.

Pictured: Black Strap (left) Day 34, Witch Doctor (right) Day 37

Looking nice and healthy!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're doing everyhting right! ^_^

:greenthumb:

It is Day 40 for the Black Strap (front right), thought I'd do a quick update. I'm loving the color on these stems.

Did some very minor defoliation after these pics were taken and I might put a trellis in soon.

I also added a cob to give these plants some extra light going into flower.

Also thinking about doing a compost tea with some of the autoflower mix from nature's living soil company. I don't want to overload the plant with nutrients but I do want to re-up the microbes. I'm also planning on doing one more top-dress before harvest around week 10. Would love any advice re feeding schedules/ combining dry nutes with compost tea.

PXL_20210622_212804261.jpgPXL_20210622_212748312.jpgPXL_20210622_212736243.jpgPXL_20210622_212814046.jpg

I'm picking up some black strap seeds tomorrow. Great journal here!

Back