Boveda packs - myth or real?

What is it that you guys seem to like about the boost over the boveda

Their website doesn't work for me. I tried clicking on the "Technology" menu but it just reverts back to the home page.

Click TerpLoc under Technology.

I've used Boveda packs for years with some pretty expensive cigars. They do work. I did not know about them absorbing the terpenes. I also don't know that my patient or I could tell the difference.

Interesting data for sure. That said I am using the Grove bags. Wonderful product. Much easier than jars.

I've used Boveda packs for years with some pretty expensive cigars. They do work. I did not know about them absorbing the terpenes. I also don't know that my patient or I could tell the difference.

Interesting data for sure. That said I am using the Grove bags. Wonderful product. Much easier than jars.
I can't find a link that gives instructions on how these Grove Bags are to be used.
Their website isn't working for me.
I sent them an email.
Waiting.

Lots of good info here:

Basically dry like normal, then instead of jars, just bag your buds and seal. The membrane is supposed to preserve your buds better and longer while regulating humidity in the bag.

I tend to drop a boveda pack in mine since I don't quite trust my drying skills yet.

Lots of good info here:

Basically dry like normal, then instead of jars, just bag your buds and seal. The membrane is supposed to preserve your buds better and longer while regulating humidity in the bag.

I tend to drop a boveda pack in mine since I don't quite trust my drying skills yet.
However, long term they will dry your bud out if RH in the storage area is low. They do not, somewhat contrary to claims, regulate humidity in both directions, or in my opinion, well. I doubt that they under any circumstances cause moisture to move into the bag from lower RH outside it. If increases in RH happen in the bag, they are redistribution within the plant material and between it and the air in the package, or moisture migrating into the bag from outside it.

One of these days, I am going to do some testing, but I suspect that Grove Bags are standard stand-up pouches with pretty labelling, and in which available layering from the manufacturer (of which there are man) was selected to allow somewhat variable permeability of water vapour (perhaps), plus permeability to oxygen (maybe unavoidable except for metalized layers). I think that it is permeability to oxygen that makes them avoid burping.

Just my 2 cents until I do the testing. :pighug:

Last edited:
However, long term they will dry your bud out if RH in the storage area is low. They do not, somewhat contrary to claims, regulate humidity in both directions, or in my opinion, well. I doubt that they under any circumstances cause moisture to move into the bag, increases in RH are redistribution within the plant material and between it and the air in the package.

One of these days, I am going to do some testing, but I suspect that Grove Bags are standard stand-up pouches with pretty labelling, and in which available layering from the manufacturer (of which there are man) was selected to allow somewhat variable permeability of water vapour (perhaps), plus permeability to oxygen (maybe unavoidable except for metalized layers). I think that it is permeability to oxygen that makes them avoid burping.

Just my 2 cents until I do the testing. :pighug:
Good points.

I know man O green swears by them and that's a pretty good endorsement. I do think they have something more to them as I cannot smell a thing through the bags once sealed.

Good points.

I know man O green swears by them and that's a pretty good endorsement. I do think they have something more to them as I cannot smell a thing through the bags once sealed.
I think that they work as long as you understand that they are not the equivalent of a Boveda or Boost pack. They will not draw moisture into the bag from lower RH, and they will gradually let bud in them dry too far in the long run if the bags with bud are stored in a dry environment. Also, the rate at which moisture can escape the bag is slow, hence the reason that you need your bud dried close to ~60% or so before putting it into bags, just as you do with jars. I think the key to their protection of terps is that they allow oxygen into the bag during the cure, whereas replenishing O2 in jars requires burping.

I am going to run some tests to check behaviour with moisture, and compare with standard stand up pouches I have been saving from nuts and other products. I don't have a way to measure O2, so I can't test behaviour with O2.

Bottom line for me is that I will use them for the cure, but once the cure is done, buds will go into glass jars and into the freezer. If they escape the press that is. :biggrin: Another solution for the long term drying issue is to put a fresh leaf in the bag for a while to bump up the RH. This works if they get just a tad too dry before a long cure is done.

Happy Groving. :biggrin::pighug:

I'm not denying anyones findings of less smell, but I don't understand how that would happen.

Aren't terpenes all oil soluable? How could a water gel absorb that?

I have used Boveda packs many times. But I'm another one. Not sure exactly if they are robbing terpenes, but that definitely robbed the smell - for me. I went to Grove bags and never looked back. I have some stuff I bagged up over a year ago and it is still just like it was when I bagged it. I do find that it is best to heat seal them. If you are careful enough you can open and re-heat seal them a few times.

Back