Boveda packs - myth or real?

I have used Boveda packs many times. But I'm another one. Not sure exactly if they are robbing terpenes, but that definitely robbed the smell - for me. I went to Grove bags and never looked back. I have some stuff I bagged up over a year ago and it is still just like it was when I bagged it. I do find that it is best to heat seal them. If you are careful enough you can open and re-heat seal them a few times.
What do you use to heat seal them?

What do you use to heat seal them?

They have a nice ziplock style of closure at the top, above that is an inch or so of just plastic bag material. I use the edge of a clothes iron on a wood cutting board VERY CAREFULLY. You want to seal but not melt and destroy.

Fan of the boost packs and also use food grade O2 removing packs to help minimize oxidation during long term storage (1yr +)

What's the difference between Boveda and Boost packs?
As far as I know, Boveda packs are filled with a mix of salts. Specific salts are mixed to determine the equilibrium RH that they support. I have read that Boost isn't salt, it may be sugars. Dunno though. :biggrin:

What's the difference between Boveda and Boost packs?
Not sure of the chemical makeup but I’ve noticed the boveda seem to remove the aroma in my jars.

I think that they work as long as you understand that they are not the equivalent of a Boveda or Boost pack. They will not draw moisture into the bag from lower RH, and they will gradually let bud in them dry too far in the long run if the bags with bud are stored in a dry environment. Also, the rate at which moisture can escape the bag is slow, hence the reason that you need your bud dried close to ~60% or so before putting it into bags, just as you do with jars. I think the key to their protection of terps is that they allow oxygen into the bag during the cure, whereas replenishing O2 in jars requires burping.

I am going to run some tests to check behaviour with moisture, and compare with standard stand up pouches I have been saving from nuts and other products. I don't have a way to measure O2, so I can't test behaviour with O2.

Bottom line for me is that I will use them for the cure, but once the cure is done, buds will go into glass jars and into the freezer. If they escape the press that is. :biggrin: Another solution for the long term drying issue is to put a fresh leaf in the bag for a while to bump up the RH. This works if they get just a tad too dry before a long cure is done.

Happy Groving. :biggrin::pighug:

I think that is a pretty accurate statement. I have never seen them allow RH to increase, but have had them lower it before I sealed them properly. I have also added a few fan leaves, when I overdried. I do not heat seal until I am exactly where I want to be in regards to RH and it is stable for a couple weeks. After that, I heat seal them with a mini hygrometer in the bag and store them in a large 20 gallon tote. I mostly use the 1 lb bags it seems.

Once I have them heat sealed and stored, they seem to hold RH really well for a long time though.

Nice to have stumbled across this thread.

I found boveda packs definitely diminished my terp profiles, I used them in conjuction with Grove bags. I still use grove bags from time to time, but boveda no longer has a place in my wheel house.

Back