Broken branch in flower

darknight_420

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I'm absoloutely gutted! It always happens and I'm sick to death of accidents that happen

I grow in a crap 90x50 tent in my wardrobe, I can't fit any bigger in except an 80x80 and after this I'm going to look online for a bigger tent and stop this shit happening!!

Long story short the water bottle I wedge between my wooden frame and tent material to expand the tent wider so the negative pressure doesn't push the plants together has fallen on my terp and tonic snapping a branch!!

Trying to find duct tape was a no go!! Seriously a grower for 3yr and not a fecking single strip of duct tape to.be found.. the only thing I could find was insulation tape so I tried my best to fix the branch. And stuck a splint of wire over it but it's shite!!

On close inspection is wasn't a full snap but more of a serious case of super cropping at the extreme level and the sides were split open!

I'm now super paranoid she's going to hermie on me and I've moved the fan that was blowing in front of her.

Shes day 24 and was doing amazing. What's people's thoughts on this?

does it actually stress them out?
Am I better just cutting my loss on this 1 plant and starting again than risk losing the other 2 if she chucks pollin?
Am I worrying over nothing and lesson learnt?

This hasn't happened to autos before but seems to happen all the time when growing photos during veg and its either filters or fans falling down

Any advice appreciated
20230829_211744.jpg

She looks so battered and wilted over
20230829_211723.jpg

20230829_211704.jpg

Shes sad I don't even know if I should cut it off completely...
20230829_211732.jpg

If I don't laugh I'll cry.... lol not! Haha

Last edited:
i doubt the plant will 'hermie' just because 1 trivial, one of many branches cracked, didn't even fully break off/separate. The plant is still rather "amazing" for its age without that branch.

Even if you lose that branch, the amount of biomass (leaves, buds) lost looks to be maybe ≤5% of the whole plant with 2-3 early bud sites. It looks like you have well over a dozen remaining branches (from LST?). A trivial loss, which the plant will deal with. Many growers purposely stress their plants with extreme defoliation, removing way more plant biomass than that small branch.

Plus, presuming that the branch was straightened with top and bottom broken sections of woody tissue in good contact, the branch will likely mend itself.

[Get some other opinions from more experienced growers].

join it together and wrapp it tight with pvc tape and it will be ok.
ive joined a branch off 1 strain to a branch off another and it grew, Autos are hard as feck

Thanks @BII and @NORBY I think I just panic when that happens as I read autos are harder to fix due to the short life but I also read like you said they're hard plants as I did a bit of researching since first posting.

You're right I think its probably 5% of the whole plant when looking at pics below. I was just worried she would turn on me and then I lose my others.

20230829_223714.jpg
20230829_223816.jpg
20230829_223918.jpg

The intial shock has worn off and I'm heading to bed now so I'll see how she's looks in the morning,

Thanks for your reassurance I'll sleep better

Also, some (many?) growers would have simply removed that branch when it started, or will do it later, with the branch at the bottom and shaded. So again, even it the branch dies, not much lost.

I'd prop up/tie the branch (below its wound) so it stands and grows taller, not horizontal.

if its damaged really bad, cut it off,
It will create more space for the other branches and the bud loss energy will go to the other buds.
Alot of ppl remove the bottom 4 node branchs to get more growth at the remaining budsites
I do schwazze on my plants and has no adverse effects. id remove double or more of the biomass that branch has in one session and the plant just keeps growing,

I'm absoloutely gutted! It always happens and I'm sick to death of accidents that happen

I grow in a crap 90x50 tent in my wardrobe, I can't fit any bigger in except an 80x80 and after this I'm going to look online for a bigger tent and stop this shit happening!!

Long story short the water bottle I wedge between my wooden frame and tent material to expand the tent wider so the negative pressure doesn't push the plants together has fallen on my terp and tonic snapping a branch!!

Trying to find duct tape was a no go!! Seriously a grower for 3yr and not a fecking single strip of duct tape to.be found.. the only thing I could find was insulation tape so I tried my best to fix the branch. And stuck a splint of wire over it but it's shite!!

On close inspection is wasn't a full snap but more of a serious case of super cropping at the extreme level and the sides were split open!

I'm now super paranoid she's going to hermie on me and I've moved the fan that was blowing in front of her.

Shes day 24 and was doing amazing. What's people's thoughts on this?

does it actually stress them out?
Am I better just cutting my loss on this 1 plant and starting again than risk losing the other 2 if she chucks pollin?
Am I worrying over nothing and lesson learnt?

This hasn't happened to autos before but seems to happen all the time when growing photos during veg and its either filters or fans falling down

Any advice appreciated View attachment 1627775

She looks so battered and wilted over
View attachment 1627776

View attachment 1627777

Shes sad I don't even know if I should cut it off completely...
View attachment 1627778

If I don't laugh I'll cry.... lol not! Haha
:pass: This is very minor and not a cause for concern. That branch will be standing up tomorrow! I stumbled while working in my space and broke the trunk of one of my plants a couple of inched above the net pot and it was 90% decapitated. I keep grafting tape on hand because shit happens. I stood it up put a chop stick along the trunk and wrapped it up with the grafting tape. That plant barely skipped a beat and the quality was the best of the grow. You will be fine!

ScreenHunter_250 Mar. 05 18.18.jpg

:toke:

I think you will be fine as there tough plants and if you look in my thread I've just supercropped 4 plants that look extreme to say the least plus I recon it can make your plant stronger in general as the plant must release some type of stress reliever as some of the best yield s I've had have been supercropped .I added a pic from yday for you 20230829_174601.jpg

Thats mental @St. Tom I've always fancied it but I dither so much by the time I'd do it the branch has hardened up and would snap..

Needless to say @Mañ'O'Green was right and my branch is now standing upright again and her leaves have picked up.

I'm well happy and back to my diary and I've bought some of that grafting tape lol I can see it becoming my best friend

Thanks all

Thats mental @St. Tom I've always fancied it but I dither so much by the time I'd do it the branch has hardened up and would snap..

Needless to say @Mañ'O'Green was right and my branch is now standing upright again and her leaves have picked up.

I'm well happy and back to my diary and I've bought some of that grafting tape lol I can see it becoming my best friend

Thanks all
All good. Just because you have some grafting tape is no reason to torture your plants, unless you want too :naughtystep:

Back