Calling out bad Autoflower genetics/actors

Quickest way to seperate a breeder from a phony is check to see if they have a presence on AFN and check to see if they have a vendor badge.

Buying anything else is a gamble.

When growing autos everything is germed from seed. There is no such thing as 100% stability in any generation of seed. The plant will always pass on genetic variances within its offspring. A breeder can narrow this scope down but never will it be 100 % stable. The more generations and the higher the number of plants to select from the more narrow this scope becomes. So when a breeder release millions of seeds for the public to grow it's inevitable that some of seeds will perform differently than others will.

If you buy seed from an official breeder like FB, DP or Meph then you are guaranteed a certain level of quality because these strains have been developed over several generations using thousands of specimens. If somebody is ragging on the well known successful breeders is gonna one of 2 things or both. They are not a skilled grower and did not get the true potential from the genetics or they are trying to promote their own genetics and thinks it's a good tactic to put down others.

Personally I would avoid any breeder who puts down the work of others. If they are on their game then let the genetics do the talking.

sorry but no. I don’t like to do business with anyone who puts down another business, we’re BEYOND that discussion.

AFN badge? Again sorry, there’s a couple “forum sponsors” here that due to personal past experiences I’ll never do business with again, especially on the LED side, do we want to go down that road? Forum sponsors that have literally stalked me. I don’t dabble in those posts.

This is becoming bizarre.

With respect to FB, on what do you base that conclusion?
FB is know for creating auto flowering forms of well known photo strains. You can't do this without running at least 4 gens and having large plant numbers to pheno hunt from. If they tried to take short cuts and then release millions of bad seeds to the public they would risk destroying their brand. This does not make sense as a business. Ive grown several of their strains and they are pretty spot on.

I don't think the blue dream matic is entirely blue dream but they do say that I've never gotten their auto version of photo strains so I can't say. I liked everything from them so far. Blue dream matic is a nice strain

FB is know for creating auto flowering forms of well known photo strains. You can't do this without running at least 4 gens and having large plant numbers to pheno hunt from. If they tried to take short cuts and then release millions of bad seeds to the public they would risk destroying their brand
Thank you. This is all assumption.

Ive grown several of their strains and they are pretty spot on
My experience as well.

I find the conversation interesting, but let's keep it civil folks.
sorry but no. I don’t like to do business with anyone who puts down another business, we’re BEYOND that discussion.

AFN badge? Again sorry, there’s a couple “forum sponsors” here that due to personal past experiences I’ll never do business with again, especially on the LED side, do we want to go down that road? Forum sponsors that have literally stalked me. I don’t dabble in those posts.

This is becoming bizarre.

Have you posted about these experiences on the forum? We can't fix what we don't know about. :pighug:

Edit* You've been a member here since Jul 10, 2021. In 2 months, vendors on AFN have stalked you?

So, here's my question: what are the collective thoughts here on less-than-100%-verified auto genetics? I know small breeders like Mephisto, Night Owl, Mando, Brother Mendel Selections, etc show or describe their breeding efforts to F4 for fems, but what about the others? Is it time to start calling out breeders (and by extension seed banks) selling fake or subpar autos, or do we continue to let new growers get ripped off and let autoflowers' reputation continue to struggle? To be honest, I'm pretty salty to have bought possibly not-real auto genetics from a very lauded seed bank, who also sells quality auto genetics.

I've had thoughts on both sides of the fence on this (a year or two ago I created a thread on integrity of breeders, those that won't/don't show their work, etc.)

IMO I think it's more in the integrity of the person selling the seeds.

Resellers are just reselling genetics, that's a seed bank. We -NEED- seed banks. That's good for EVERYONE because it creates accessibility for products that might otherwise not exist (look at Brother Mendel's Phenotypes for example, that we're about to start up a test for; he won't ship internationally. But, if he sold seeds to a bank that has no problem doing this, suddenly he's increased HIS reach, and growers have a chance to try out new things.

White label resellers are taking others genetics and putting their OWN name on it. If you're going to batt an eye at anyone, these are the ones to batt an eye at (IMO.) Because literally this is taking bulk stock genetics and just putting a name on them. There is no quality control, they didn't breed them. But half the time they don't want to admit they are just white labeling, so then it turns into "the growers are the problem, clearly." And we've seen this rinsed and repeated many times, with many companies.

The problem with any model is still the person behind them running them. Look at Robin Curtis with Greybeard Seeds; he was busted MULTIPLE TIMES now for taking existing genetics (Dutch Passion in this example, among other breeder packs he was known to tamper with,) and putting them in his own Greybeard Private Label brand (his own sleeves, his name on it, no mention of where the seeds came from.) That makes it look like Greybeard is a breeder, and he said out of his own mouth "I have permission from these companies to do this," and so we asked Dutch Passion at the time and they said "no way would we give permission to do that."

You've got the Puff Puff Pass guys (Southwest Bakery,) he used to do huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge drops of autoflowers at once on Facebook, like 10+ in a go, all with artwork and cool ass sounding tasty names. Never once showed his work. Refuses to show his work. Shit talks anyone (and I mean ANYONE) that has problems with their genetics, orders, customer service, etc. But yet there are members even here that still feed him business.

Another common model is for these breeders to operate on Facebook, where they can control every comment. Maggies Auto Farm is a great example of this; I was actually banned from their group for asking questions about the lineage of their genetics (they ripped off Dutch Passion on ALL of their crosses for the record lol...) When I messaged their moderator "why was I banned," he replied "because we know who the bad riff raff is." :rofl: There are also screen shots of Maggie Freier (owner of Maggie's Auto) shipping cannabis flower illegally in the mail to their customers (someone didn't get their package and it turned into a public display. Whooopsie. Hey, not only can you buy seeds from Maggie's Auto Farm, she will flat out send you weed in the mail!)

Look at Kyle Cornelison with Master Sensei Seeds out of Michigan; he came on the forum and literally told us publicly he was just reversing existing genetics and selling the offspring. Should we be okay with that? Do the pro's outweigh the con's for allowing people to operate this way? What if they are public about what they are doing, do we still grab the noose and find the tree?

Back