DIY Cheap Bulb Experiment - Mega Budget Grow

@parsing_trees ok that's a very good point I had not yet think about, so thanks for pointing it out.

This experiment is done in an environment that is not enclosed, where RH does not rise over 50%, and only when I can monitor the grow constantly. The DIY nature of the setup means I have to keep a close eye on it.

More things to consider..

@parsing_trees ok that's a very good point I had not yet think about, so thanks for pointing it out.

This experiment is done in an environment that is not enclosed, where RH does not rise over 50%, and only when I can monitor the grow constantly. The DIY nature of the setup means I have to keep a close eye on it.

More things to consider..
I am not an electrician myself, but I've done electronics work (battery-powered electronic devices, not wall power) and thought of removing the plastic covers immediately raised major red flags given how cheaply manufactured LED bulbs are now.

Another good pull quote from the linked post:
In many LED light bulbs that I've opened they'll be two prongs sticking out and that is a great way to get snagged up on an energized light bulb.

Be safe. Getting a bit more PAR from cheap light bulbs is not worth the added fire / electrical shock hazard.

U can cut the bulbs off w no issues. I did it to a porch light that would get moisture from heavy rain and it lasted years

On average u can expect 1gram per watt if u get it dialed in

U can cut the bulbs off w no issues. I did it to a porch light that would get moisture from heavy rain and it lasted years
That one may have been fine, but LED bulbs are probably made more cheaply now, with fewer safeguards. Are some safe? Maybe. Are all safe? Extremely unlikely.

I recommend Phillips CorePro bulbs for maximum efficiency per watt (12,5/13W (100W equivalent) 1521 Lumen). Lots of people recommend them on another forum. And yes, remove the shield/bulb cover. You'll need active cooling, but pc fan/s will do.

EDIT: be sure to protect the bare contacts (easy to spot) of the led surface with some drops of your glue pistol if you remove the cover of led bulbs. If not, do not touch the surface when the lights are still connected to mains.

Last edited:
That one may have been fine, but LED bulbs are probably made more cheaply now, with fewer safeguards. Are some safe? Maybe. Are all safe? Extremely unlikely.
This was a dollar tree bulb . ive done it multiple times w the cheapest bulbs possible. Try an experiment w it if u doubt it. I have a business dealing w electronics all day

Hey lovely people.. Coming this weekend, harvest of the second and latest experiment Michtoli. It was still a little mistreated but it still grew some buds, and surely better than the previous. Skinny is the word here. Here are a couple pictures from today.

Darn, edited the post for a minute, and left it hanging for at least ten, buzzing on the shape of theses little buds and actually making things out of their weird shapes. Just like you'd do with clouds. Hahaha, sorry. I saw a troll, a chinese dragon's face. Foreal :baked:
IMG_20220601_165531b.jpg

IMG_20220602_183746.jpg

IMG_20220602_183657b.jpg

Last edited:
Chopped down baby.. A looot of trim, and loads of little buds. Dropped the smallest ones in the trim bag, and was left with this lovely lot..
Anyways for these experiments, I like to wet trim quite a bit to dry almost neat buds, so I can leave RH at 50 for longer

IMG_20220604_074830b.jpg

IMG_20220604_074925b.jpg

See youz in 2 weeks for the weigh up...
*Next Bulb grow will be updated "live" in this thread

Back