DIY Tests of different DIY household bulb solutions

Max - LEDTonic

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Howdy farmers!

I recently tested the PPFD (umol/m2/s) of a few different household bulbs to figure out how they perform compared to each other at a certain height. As we (humans) can perceive a lamp to be very bright, plants can sometimes experience a different reality. I also tested a couple of homemade reflectors and how they affect a lamps light footprint.

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about the test if anyone wants to read the summary.
https://www.ledtonic.com/blogs/guid...ht-test-ppfd-amp-footprint-for-indoor-growing

I am currently in the process of gathering new lamps and bulbs to test and I am wondering if any of you have any ideas of what would be interesting to test? Is there any regular generic type of household light that would be interesting to know the output and footprint of? Is there any lamp out there that is not intended for growing, that many still use for that purpose?
ocL04Cn.jpg

I have an idea that the propagation/seedling period and maybe even early veg-period, could potentially be covered with a small bulb when the intensity requirement is low (50-300 PPFD). There is a possibility to save some electricity in the process, save some additional heat from being produced, and save some hours from being taken of your big and expensive grow lamps' life.
If the plants' canopy hasn't yet reached the size of 1inch x 1inch (2,5cm x 2,5cm), we might not need to light up a whole room in the process of keeping that sucker alive at that size.

Obviously, this idea is based on that you only need to light up a small area of only one plant or a couple of small plants in small pots. A big lamp is obviously more practical if you have a big area to illuminate.

Please, share your thoughts :)

Howdy farmers!

I recently tested the PPFD (umol/m2/s) of a few different household bulbs to figure out how they perform compared to each other at a certain height. As we (humans) can perceive a lamp to be very bright, plants can sometimes experience a different reality. I also tested a couple of homemade reflectors and how they affect a lamps light footprint.

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about the test if anyone wants to read the summary.
https://www.ledtonic.com/blogs/guid...ht-test-ppfd-amp-footprint-for-indoor-growing

I am currently in the process of gathering new lamps and bulbs to test and I am wondering if any of you have any ideas of what would be interesting to test? Is there any regular generic type of household light that would be interesting to know the output and footprint of? Is there any lamp out there that is not intended for growing, that many still use for that purpose?
I have an idea that the propagation/seedling period and maybe even early veg-period, could potentially be covered with a small bulb when the intensity requirement is low (50-300 PPFD). There is a possibility to save some electricity in the process, save some additional heat from being produced, and save some hours from being taken of your big and expensive grow lamps' life.
If the plants' canopy hasn't yet reached the size of 1inch x 1inch (2,5cm x 2,5cm), we might not need to light up a whole room in the process of keeping that sucker alive at that size.

Obviously, this idea is based on that you only need to light up a small area of only one plant or a couple of small plants in small pots. A big lamp is obviously more practical if you have a big area to illuminate.

Please, share your thoughts :)

You are performing a valuable service.
If you can find some cheap store-bought LEDs that come close to the sun's spectrum, are bright enough, and cheap enough, then it might entice more people to start growing.

You are performing a valuable service.
If you can find some cheap store-bought LEDs that come close to the sun's spectrum, are bright enough, and cheap enough, then it might entice more people to start growing.

Finding a bulb like the one you mentioned would absolutely be a homerun. I guess that the most similar bulb to be found in a regular store that matches your description would be a 5000k-6500k "daylight", but it doesn't match the spectrum of the sun, not even slightly. Although it performs just fine in providing "sunlight spectrum" for us humans since the kelvin is the most crucial part for us. Adding FR and UV would create a bulb that would be very impractical and expensive for regular human use.

The different bulbs available where I live are also somewhat limited. 95% of them are 2700k, for example.
Let me know if you ever find the bulb that we are looking for. I would happily test it, for the benefit of everyone :)

Finding a bulb like the one you mentioned would absolutely be a homerun. I guess that the most similar bulb to be found in a regular store that matches your description would be a 5000k-6500k "daylight", but it doesn't match the spectrum of the sun, not even slightly. Although it performs just fine in providing "sunlight spectrum" for us humans since the kelvin is the most crucial part for us. Adding FR and UV would create a bulb that would be very impractical and expensive for regular human use.

The different bulbs available where I live are also somewhat limited. 95% of them are 2700k, for example.
Let me know if you ever find the bulb that we are looking for. I would happily test it, for the benefit of everyone :)

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford good lights for a personal grow space, but am interested in this.
Maybe some combination of the 6500 K and 2700 K would work, but I lack the expertise to know.
The sun's spectrum is about 5800 K, but its daily average that includes dusk and dawn is probably about 4500-5000 K.

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford good lights for a personal grow space, but am interested in this.
Maybe some combination of the 6500 K and 2700 K would work, but I lack the expertise to know.
The sun's spectrum is about 5800 K, but its daily average that includes dusk and dawn is probably about 4500-5000 K.

um, don't mind me, jus chimin in here fer no particular reazon :biggrin: but ya, 4700k is considered the all-around mid, or wide, spectrum, and if that'z all plantz had to grow under from seed to chop, they'd do so jus fine :thumbsup: ok, carry on.... :smoking: ppp

Just be sure to remove the plastic covers. Those of us already using screw-in LEDs always pop the cover off first.
Indeed! By the way, I did test 9,5w led, both with and without "plastic cover" at the same height, for anyone interested in how and where it alters the intensity.

Although, before anyone removes their plastic covers, please remember to stay safe and know what you are doing:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/gfci-outlet-please-use-one.72191/

If there is one thing I have learned it is that there is no such thing in sizing up wattage, you buy a 10 watt bulb you get a 10 watt bulb, even cobs are bs in terms of what they say there the equiv of... Quantum boards are more true to that claim than any. I am not just talking about it I proved it, I started with around 330 watts of cfl (From wall) and this was my first crop in the pic and it was also my best, I've grown about 30 auto's and even after switching to a double cob I could not get close to this result these are in 3 gal. Not that I would go back to it obviously just because there more work to operate and the heat but it did the job for starting up, I did extensive research on what would be cheapest and to get enough of those compact leds to match cfl wattage at low cost you mine as well get cobs I am guessing that's the point here in using tons of small bulbs because there is no way you would get any sizeable crop with just a few of these not trying to be a prick just being realistic there are certain wattage requirements for certain grow areas regardless of light type if you want yields. I have journals all over the site showing the differences in wattage also boognelson on here started with a blurple (similar to the leds in the bulbs) switched to quantum boards and his plants are about double the size, the compact leds and reg led boards (Blurples) do not live up to there claims in equiv the cob is a bit better but the quantum the best and will be my next light. Something like these would be great in a micro grow though, there is a guy on youtube that grows in a computer case with compact led.

Attachments

• 67545977_503744023740763_1425057092112220160_n.jpg
    67545977_503744023740763_1425057092112220160_n.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 134
Back