Harvest & Curing Cob curing Malawi style

Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been busy with home renovations.
A good member on ic Chilliwilli posted these pics which with the attached time lines that show exactly what we are after achieving with this cure technique.
Here are the pics with 3, 6, and 24 hours at 30c it illustrates well the changes you should look for.
Starting with the green buds part dried.

20230608_113819~2.jpg

After a few hours the beads of sweat are starting to form.

20230608_114152~2.jpg

And a few hours later more sweat and the buds are starting to change color.

20230608_152437~2.jpg

Then again a little further along sweating well.

20230608_181606~2.jpg

The final color out of the bag.

20230608_191254~2.jpg

Then after slow drying over night.

20230608_200134~2.jpg

The results of two batches one on the left was a shorter sweat than the one on the right.
20230610_183638~2.jpg

From here it is best to dry slowly until only the core is slightly moist then reseal to age at least 3 months.
This is only one variation on the same theme, you can vary the temps and the moisture content to achieve differing results.

Here is a pic of some Golden Tiger from another master curer Hombre del Monte.
This cob is a dryer type of cure and the cob in the picture is 12 months aged.

IMG_20230613_093648.jpg
IMG_20230613_093704.jpg

Once aged the result is a smooth smoking hard hitting joint usually if its made from the good gear its a 2 or 3 tokes and thats enough sort of effect.
Or in my case chewed but thats another story ha ha.

Thanks for the good vibes my friends this technique suites small personal growers very well.
Once cured and aged properly the resulting weed lasts a lot longer than jar cured with the added benefit that it is edible without further actions.
I gave up smoking about 8 years ago for health reasons and now only chew very small pieces of cob daily.
By small I mean less than a quarter of gram. 1/10th of gram is enough for me to get high for about 8 hrs.
If I want to get really high I go to a quarter of a gram no more than that.

I have found smoking creates a high tolerance to chewing, so smokers seem to need up to 4 times as much to feel anything at all.
Given the low dosage used by non smokers you can see a modest harvest once cured can last years.
I regularly give away large amounts of cob just so I can justify growing more plants.
Now I find the high from chewing exclusively preferable to the high from smoking and after smoking for over 35 years my lungs agree ha ha.

On other forums there are a few who like me chew exclusively and though their dosage may be higher than mine they agree the long lasting feeling of euphoria is well worth the change.
After all your digestive system is tailor made for enjoying this form of medication unlike your poor lungs.

I am a bit blown away at this ‘cob dry’ method. What is the theory (or goal) behind this curing methodology?

@tangwena ? You chew it? (How interesting)

How does it taste? Do you eventually ‘eat’ it, or more so, treat it like a chewing tabakky ? How is the odors, like is it loud out the bag and does it give ya bad breath ? do you get munchies later… any medicinal benefits you think it helps with? etc..[after the re read, appears u eat yours]

can you smoke this cob‘d herb? (Would one even want to?) [I re read the thread, nvm, lol)]

At any rate ill stop here and wait for a reply.
This sounds like it could be in one of my summer-time lanes and a path to smoke-free canna options for my tool kit.

Last edited:
I am a bit blown away at this ‘cob dry’ method. What is the theory (or goal) behind this curing methodology?

How does it taste? Do you eventually ‘eat’ it, or more so, treat it like a chewing tabakky ? How is the odors, like is it loud out the bag and does it give ya bad breath ? do you get munchies later… any medicinal benefits you think it helps with? etc..[after the re read, appears u eat yours]

can you smoke this cob‘d herb? (Would one even want to?) [I re read the thread, nvm, lol)]

This sounds like it could be in one of my summer-time lanes and a path to smoke-free canna options for my tool kit.
I have done this twice now and really like it. I have both smoked it and chewed it. I really like chewing about .3 grams as if it was chewing tobacco. Eventually it gets swallowed. It tastes like good weed and I feel it sweetens your breath. The second time I made it I used a 1:1 cbd/thc strain. I have only chewed a small piece as it has to cure, but I have to say it gave my arthritis a good deal of relief. I highly recommend this cure. It is a daily go to for me. The first cobs I did weree with Mephisto's Cosmic Queen. The second time was their Aunt Ginny's Elixir.

Hey @tangwena

I'd like to get your opinion on my experiment.

I used about two oz each to form these cobs.

I sweated them, then patted them dry and then let them ferment for about 10 days.

So I pulled the cobs out of the bags and I'm letting him dry for a couple of days. I put them in a paper bag and put them with the girl that is drying in the tent and let them dry for a couple of days and then I'll bag it back up.

It's crazy how you can see "crystals" sparkling when you look at it.
img_20230717_125801523-jpg.1615539

img_20230717_125932580-jpg.1615540

After 2 days drying in the paper bag in the tent, both cobs are back vacuum sealed.

I'll store them with my grove bags in my chest of drawers with the other cannabis at 76*F.

They smelled great. Still fairly heavy, s there's still a good amount of moisture. I think I'm gonna wait another two weeks and do the same thing. The temp should slow the fermenting process.

You guys have done this, could you see little sparkles, which I assume is the trichomes?

They sparkle a lot!
img_20230719_171747818-jpg.1616223

Should I let this fermenting process continue? They smell great, just as they should! Opening up and checking them every couple of weeks or so? Or should I halt the process and let them dry out fully? And then vacuum sealing again for an extended period of time?
The fermentation process did start quite well. I thought I had leaks in the bags, but I finally realized it was only gases from the fermentation process!:face: :crying:

I appreciate any advice!

I have done this twice now and really like it. I have both smoked it and chewed it. I really like chewing about .3 grams as if it was chewing tobacco. Eventually it gets swallowed. It tastes like good weed and I feel it sweetens your breath. The second time I made it I used a 1:1 cbd/thc strain. I have only chewed a small piece as it has to cure, but I have to say it gave my arthritis a good deal of relief. I highly recommend this cure. It is a daily go to for me. The first cobs I did weree with Mephisto's Cosmic Queen. The second time was their Aunt Ginny's Elixir.
I didn't get any Aunt Ginny's Elixir before this current grow! She will definitely be in my next auto grow.
Twenty20 Vidamints, the fat cob above, made some outstanding dry ice hash and the rosin is simply beautiful. Vaping it in my Swordfish definitely helps my pain.
She was very frosty, productive and very easy to grow.
100_0825.JPG

This is the cob I unwrapp
20230720_063857.jpg
ed this morning. I let it dry slowly for 5 or 6 days and then seal it back up for at least a month.

This method is the standard way pot is cured in central Africa. I never saw green dried buds until I left Africa as a young man years ago.
It is cured this way to produce a mild smoking strong acting smoke.
Cured this way it is smooth and pleasant to smoke with less coughing than dried green bud.
Cured properly it can be chewed and swallowed after chewing giving you an alternative method of getting high to smoking or vaping.
The high chewed is deeper and lasts all day on the right pot from one dose, meaning your pot lasts forever.

Back