Harvest & Curing Cob curing Malawi style

I have a question, how dry or how fresh should the buds be when you first roll and seal them? Say you just cut your plant down. Trim all the big fan leaves off, then how long?

Hey @tangwena

I'd like to get your opinion on my experiment.

I used about two oz each to form these cobs.

I sweated them, then patted them dry and then let them ferment for about 10 days.

So I pulled the cobs out of the bags and I'm letting him dry for a couple of days. I put them in a paper bag and put them with the girl that is drying in the tent and let them dry for a couple of days and then I'll bag it back up.

It's crazy how you can see "crystals" sparkling when you look at it.
img_20230717_125801523-jpg.1615539

img_20230717_125932580-jpg.1615540

After 2 days drying in the paper bag in the tent, both cobs are back vacuum sealed.

I'll store them with my grove bags in my chest of drawers with the other cannabis at 76*F.

They smelled great. Still fairly heavy, s there's still a good amount of moisture. I think I'm gonna wait another two weeks and do the same thing. The temp should slow the fermenting process.

You guys have done this, could you see little sparkles, which I assume is the trichomes?

They sparkle a lot!
img_20230719_171747818-jpg.1616223

Should I let this fermenting process continue? They smell great, just as they should! Opening up and checking them every couple of weeks or so? Or should I halt the process and let them dry out fully? And then vacuum sealing again for an extended period of time?
The fermentation process did start quite well. I thought I had leaks in the bags, but I finally realized it was only gases from the fermentation process!:face: :crying:

I appreciate any advice!
From how dark they look I would fully dry them before sealing them up for aging.
The sparkling diamonds are impressive aren't they?
I believe the oils, resins and waxes all melt and combine during the cure to form a liquid that solidifies to form the shiny waxy look you are seeing.
After a few months aging they turn into crystals that also sparkle in the light I call them angel dust ha ha.
It is a good indication of a well cured cob.
Next time try buds that have been a little more dried it gives another outcome different again from the same plant.
You can get at least 3 different cures from the same buds by varying the moisture content of the buds going into the cob.
Welcome to the new/old world of cob curing my friend its addictive in every way.

I have a question, how dry or how fresh should the buds be when you first roll and seal them? Say you just cut your plant down. Trim all the big fan leaves off, then how long?
They need to be dried anywhere from 3 to 5 days depending on your RH.
The best way I can describe them is when they are dry enough to be able to roll a joint and smoke it but it goes out after every drag and needs relighting.
Once you have experience you can vary this to include moister buds with no problem. But initially its better to try the low slow approach.

I have done this twice now and really like it. I have both smoked it and chewed it. I really like chewing about .3 grams as if it was chewing tobacco. Eventually it gets swallowed. It tastes like good weed and I feel it sweetens your breath. The second time I made it I used a 1:1 cbd/thc strain. I have only chewed a small piece as it has to cure, but I have to say it gave my arthritis a good deal of relief. I highly recommend this cure. It is a daily go to for me. The first cobs I did weree with Mephisto's Cosmic Queen. The second time was their Aunt Ginny's Elixir.
Its the elixir of life my friend. Without my daily chew I'm old sore and tired.
Once I'm high I'm like a 16 year old with the wisdom of old age. I can work all day, laugh all day and no aches and pains.
Its strain dependent of course you can really appreciate the qualities of different strains when you chew them cobbed.

1690245378653.png

1690245459761.png

1690245499493.png

This is a time lapse view of how a cob started, after sweating and now 2 years later.
Its the best high I have come across so far no sedation, no aches and pains just a happy, focused euphoria with heaps of creative energy.
Perfect for the old fart about town ha ha.
1690245499493.png
1690245459761.png
1690245378653.png

From how dark they look I would fully dry them before sealing them up for aging.
The sparkling diamonds are impressive aren't they?
I believe the oils, resins and waxes all melt and combine during the cure to form a liquid that solidifies to form the shiny waxy look you are seeing.
After a few months aging they turn into crystals that also sparkle in the light I call them angel dust ha ha.
It is a good indication of a well cured cob.
Next time try buds that have been a little more dried it gives another outcome different again from the same plant.
You can get at least 3 different cures from the same buds by varying the moisture content of the buds going into the cob.
Welcome to the new/old world of cob curing my friend its addictive in every way.
Thanks for the info man!
I figured they were a little too moist, but I wanted to get those juices flowing when I sweated it to get a good ferment throughout.
I think the little sparkles are cool as hell!

Ha! Much simpler than what I was thinking. Dry ice or self healing port. Hand warming packs apparently have iron in them that reacts with oxygen to form rust. They could possibly use up the oxygen in a closed container. I'll try it your way first. Lol

Back