New Grower Coco and dry amendments?

Coco is not my favorite medium. If you search peat vs coco on google, I posted a blog on why. From your original recipe, I noticed a lack of Ca in the form of gypsum so as not to raise pH. That could have contributed to some of your issues as well as lacking S for terpene expression (hence why gypsum is great). RO is not ideal due to it's lack of buffering capacity (water wants to be bonded with other minerals).

All that being said, many growers are using coco successfully so it definitely is possible. If you want to experiment and mix your own mixes then a soil test is your best friend to determine your getting the right nutrients in the soil in the right ratios.

I'm running the Gaia green and having similar issues with the droopy leaves. I have to think my balance is off and likely used too much Phosphorus having added extra guano in pre-amending. so It now looks like magnesium or zinc deficiencies. added 1 ml/gallon organic liquid calmag and it started showing slightly darkened leaves. plant is developing slowly but still growing. I'm in week 5. anyway I popped more seeds and went back to basics with them at 3 tablespoons per gallon 70/30 grow n bloom and mycorrhizae. I'm not giving u on this method just yet 3 runs in having gotten over a gram per watt in my other grows. I'm guessing based on https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...nclude-other-issues-as-well.43164/post-846879. good luck and keep us posted. oh and I decided the calcium was ok so I used epsom alone. that was last night, so wait and see

Last edited:
Glad you were able to make something out of the problems you had. I was going to say, it looked similar to my magnesium deficiency, but with no newer pics I was guessing. :) Just found this site, so wasn't around for the original post.

Coco with dry amendments is a totally different animal than cocoponics or soil, and yes as Arthur mentioned, each one treats problems and deficiencies differently. I learned the hard way early on, you can't flush coco with dry amendments like you can in hydro, or you'll just starve the roots and stunt the plants. Also, yes, I did join Mr Canuck's Patreon for a few bucks a month for direct access to information. I think it's a SCREAMING bargain for me when I consider the hundreds of dollars investment in tent/light/etc. Good luck with whatever medium you end up using!

added 1 ml/gallon organic liquid calmag and it started showing slightly darkened leaves. plant is developing slowly but still growing.
My packaging recommends 5ml/gal calmag, which is what I ended up having to run for my setup. Leaves are great now.

Issues with treating coco as soil. Not at all uncommon. Old rule is pick one. Issues with coco and soil are addressed differently. PH needs of each medium is different as well. Soil grows 6.2 to 6.8
Coco 5.8 to 6.2

Which to use?

Issue with following some guys advise on YT, if it's out of the norm, is you end up needing that guy to help with issues.
Actually when I grew my cookies auto from dinafem I used organic super soil amendments and roots organic terp tea watered at 6.5ph any lower it caused problems for me. I got 2nd place with it in Dinafem Grower Of The Year ,wat ph were u feeding the coco @. Good luck with the new ones but if you would like me to help with anything just lmk tag me pm either way sending good vibes and good karma

I like sowing direct to my final pot for my autos with coco and dry amendments. works great, to a point. can I add earth worm castings to my coco and dry amendments and immediately sow? I see people use coco/ewc/perlite but I'm unsure about amending and how to get started. what would I even call this method to track down info? I'm assuming even if I used promix instead of coco it would act the same in terms of needing to cool or good to go. anyone? thanks

I like sowing direct to my final pot for my autos with coco and dry amendments. works great, to a point. can I add earth worm castings to my coco and dry amendments and immediately sow? I see people use coco/ewc/perlite but I'm unsure about amending and how to get started. what would I even call this method to track down info? I'm assuming even if I used promix instead of coco it would act the same in terms of needing to cool or good to go. anyone? thanks
I amended mine bottom half a super soil like mix with ewc and the rest coco here is some pics
20191223_160908.jpg
20191201_120035.jpg
I don't no wat u would call it though

Attachments

• 20191201_120103.jpg
    20191201_120103.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 67
thanks @Fitzy looks like it works real good. with every grow (2yrs) I'm happier with the results but hoping ewc will make it even better. I'm gonna jump right in and give your method a go. makes a Lot of sense and addresses my sowing concern. would you say you amend all the coco? and only add the ewc to the bottom half? and maybe are you using individual amendments or pre-mixed dry grow and bloom formulas at what ratio 50/50 or 70/30? I'll go check out your grow journal and I appreciate any secrets your willing to share. probably help a lot of people out too. I think it's a great way to grow. peace

thanks @Fitzy looks like it works real good. with every grow (2yrs) I'm happier with the results but hoping ewc will make it even better. I'm gonna jump right in and give your method a go. makes a Lot of sense and addresses my sowing concern. would you say you amend all the coco? and only add the ewc to the bottom half? and maybe are you using individual amendments or pre-mixed dry grow and bloom formulas at what ratio 50/50 or 70/30? I'll go check out your grow journal and I appreciate any secrets your willing to share. probably help a lot of people out too. I think it's a great way to grow. peace
So it's a pre made super soil style nag says it does 96gal of super soil I mix in about 1 to 1.5 cups (solo cup) this is for 3gal fabric pots I also add atzomite @ 2table spoons and I just tried that last time using roots organic terp tea bloom but I didn't measure that one I only fed calmag @ 2ml a gal of caylax magnum I also top dressed twice in flower the simplest coco grow I've done the buds could have been denser but I didn't figure out that I couldn't feed ph6.0 (water) it had to be 6.5 I never went more than that but it took me awhile to figure out why it looked hungry I new there were plenty of available nutrients also don't let it fully dry out that happened to me and I also think that hurt overall density but the quality is there here is a pick of some of the concentrates I've made with it. I've ran both bho and rosin from it and got better returns(20% to 22% for the cookies and 17% to 18% from dispensary)than similar bud from the dispensary. It's odd I don't see many people trying it if I can do another grow soon I will do another as I would do things a bit differently lmk if you have any ? I love giving back to our awsome community so just tag me anytime or wat have you
20200122_191412.jpg
20200112_120730.jpg
20191231_090718.jpg
20200106_131020.jpg

Back