DIY Couple fast hacks

Kirka88

Hold my beer and watch this!
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Nothing ground breaking but
1. when making solutions funnels tend to create a seal and the whole thing ends up puking at ya so.....
20221204_113633.jpg

And
2. then my tents in the basement and I'm always concerned about fungus gnats finding thier way in (I think its from my French drain??)
So I ahhh "borrowed" these from the wife (to cover my intake exhaust vents). Hahaha shhh don't tell her.
20221204_101303.jpg
20221204_101250.jpg

Nothing ground breaking but
1. when making solutions funnels tend to create a seal and the whole thing ends up puking at ya so.....
View attachment 1544697

And
2. then my tents in the basement and I'm always concerned about fungus gnats finding thier way in (I think its from my French drain??)
So I ahhh "borrowed" these from the wife (to cover my intake exhaust vents). Hahaha shhh don't tell her.
View attachment 1544698View attachment 1544699
Nice tricks! Here's another one. Aside from a single spider mite problem due to locally-sourced clones, the only pest problem I get is gnats. And science used to believe gnats were caused by something called spontaneous generation. The truth is, their eggs are very common in any soil that contains organic matter.

I started mulching with rice hulls, and now I occasionally see one buzzing around, but rarely more than that. The trick is to keep the hulls clean and dry, which means it has to be replaced periodically. But it's a perfect fix. Sand works too, but at harvest time it's all over the buds and impossible to clean off.

I'll have to give that a try. I used to use a product called gnatnix which worked great but have been completely unable to source it over the last few years. I do have a big bag of diatenacious earth but lately I've been quite successful by just sprinkling mosquito bits on top of the soil and watering it in B4 they appear. I do it to my keg cups and after I transplant. I look carefully everytime I check my plants and at the first sign of a fungus gnat I reapply. I've seen some kind of predator they sell in I think a cake? Still so far knock on wood I haven't need those.

The first time I got fungus gnats bad was like 92 from a cheapo bag of potting soil. I was completely clueless what they were hahaha . The little bastards killed all my mother plants and like 35 clones. I tried safer soap but for me it did nothing. Live and learn lol

I'll have to give that a try. I used to use a product called gnatnix which worked great but have been completely unable to source it over the last few years. I do have a big bag of diatenacious earth but lately I've been quite successful by just sprinkling mosquito bits on top of the soil and watering it in B4 they appear. I do it to my keg cups and after I transplant. I look carefully everytime I check my plants and at the first sign of a fungus gnat I reapply. I've seen some kind of predator they sell in I think a cake? Still so far knock on wood I haven't need those.

The first time I got fungus gnats bad was like 92 from a cheapo bag of potting soil. I was completely clueless what they were hahaha . The little bastards killed all my mother plants and like 35 clones. I tried safer soap but for me it did nothing. Live and learn lol
I haven't yet tried diatomaceous earth but have heard it's great stuff!

I hear it works good but has to be dry
Yes, if it gets moist or dirty they can show up again. But usually once I have them under control I can switch to normal mulches and quit worrying for a few months.

Lately Fox Farms happy frog has been problematic with fungus gnats which is a shame b/c I really like the stuff. I guess I could switch to another medium or supplier

Lately Fox Farms happy frog has been problematic with fungus gnats which is a shame b/c I really like the stuff.
Yeah I prefer starting with Happy Frog but try to switch to living soil for transplant. But I no longer consider them a problem since they're so easy to get rid of-at least in my climate, where the biggest problem is low humidity. The only thing that I have learned to fear is spider mites. I have had to shut down whole grows in frustration for them.

Back