DIY CBD capsules, ongoing journey

I appreciate your detailed journey into DIY CBD capsules; it's fascinating how you're exploring the process.
It's true that medical cannabis and its various components can have unique effects on individuals, and it's all about finding what works best for you. Keep up the experimentation and documenting your findings – it might lead to some exciting discoveries!
If you're interested in alternative ways to manage your well-being, you could also check out what is HHC Gummies. They've been getting some buzz lately. But as you rightly mentioned, it's all about personal preferences and what works for you in the end.

I'll continue to throw stuff up here, as I learn or encounter new things. Earlier my experience was that the CBD (taken an hour prior to THC) seemed to occupy brain receptors blocking access to THC and seemingly preventing me from getting truly stoned -- that is no longer the case. Not sure why, but in the last few months I've been easily able to get way too stoned. I'm not sure if it has to do with CBD tolerance or physiological adaptation, but I'm considering a total cannabinoid tolerance break for a full reset. A few days of ibuprofen and Tums won't kill me.

I understand your desire for utilization of whole Flower. Kind of holistic.
I have spinal injuries with damage to the nerves and all the associated crap that goes with it!
I think concentrates are the way to go! Since ice water hash is messy and you have to dry it, I use Fresh froze buds and dry ice and bubble bowls for my extraction of the hash. I then press it for live Rosin. I then decard my rozin in a silicone cup placed in machined aluminum Decarboxylation Capsule And put it between the plates of my press with the temperature set.
The resulting product is extremely consistent, about as consistent as you can with cannabis from plant to plant and grow to grow. You can easily duplicate your process about as well as we can without instruments.

The guy doesn't make bubble bowls anymore and no one has stepped up to take his place. Ice water hash , wow extremely productive, it's messy as hell and you really need a freeze dryer.

But all hope is not lost for you to simply use concentrates.
ExtractCraft Source Turbo Uses ethanol extraction for your concentrates. It does require dried Flower and you can either decarb the flower before or the decarb the concentrate afterwards.
You basically put your flower and ethanol, like Everclear, in separate Jars in the freezer for 24 hours. You combine the two jars, shake it and place it back in the freezer. And for what you're doing, I think a few cycles of this with 5 minutes or so in the freezer each time 20 or 30 minutes till time will get a extremely large percentage of the cannabinoids dissolved in the ethanol. You can just filter this combination in a simple coffee filter, but that's going to take a very long time and not get as well filtered as using a Buchner Filtration Flask. A vacuum draws the liquid material into the flask through the filter media. It's much quicker!
You need to evaporate the alcohol to get your end product. And that's where the ExtractCraft Source Turbo comes in. It uses a vacuum to evaporate the alcohol from the mixture and recover it. You are left with a nice pure extraction. You can then put that extraction into capsules directly or in your oil or make a tincture.

Yes, the fat in the oil does help the uptake of the cannabinoids. You can enhance that even further by using the oil in a complex carbohydrate such as a potato, rice or a pasta. I think the potato kicks ass. You can also lecithin to your oil to enhance your oil uptake. I think having a tincture On hand is valuable when the pain hits bad, it will get you some relief quicker than with the oil. Just let it sit underneath your tongue for as long as you can. That can also work to some degree with just the oil.

There's the process!

Now the strains.

Everybody is different and everybody's ailment is different.
Twenty20 Vidamints Is supposedly a 1:1 THC/CBD. I think it's a bit heavier on the THC. A very easy girl to grow with nice firm pretty easy to trim up buds and is frosty as hell. I mainly use her as Live Rosin and vape it. I have made oil with her in MCT oil.
Jean_O's CBD Haze also has T H C and C B D. Her buds were not quite as frosty, but she was not fully optimized in the grow with an outbreak of gnats pretty much as she sprouted. Despite that, she did produce nice rock hard buds and was fairly productive given what she was fighting.
Super Sativa Club Auto Elephant Here's another quite good Medicinal girl. She is usually 12 weeks in life cycle and can get fairly big and She is 60% Sativa / 40% Indica. I turned all of her into some pretty powerful chocolates using cacao butter. Those chocolate kicked some serious ass!
I do think it is helpful to have both THC and CBD.
I do have some other genetics that I haven't tested yet that were gifted to me, although I have made more seeds from wind strain to eventually test later on. Some have some of Mossy's Dragon genes in them.

Those have all been autos. This next run will be all photos with 2 or three medicinals. After growing Dutch Passion auto version of CBG Force, I went to them to get the photo version and also other medicinal strains.
That CBG was quite interesting. She was all made into live rosin. I raped some of it and it was an extremely calming and chill high. Just a really good feeling of well being. I have a veteran friend here close that has fairly significant PTSD. I just knew that this would be something that would be beneficial for him when the anxiety attacks hit him. I gave him some live Rosin and I also made him a tincture. With him it was quite dramatic. He hit his dab rig with it and it was so calming that he had to call me immediately. I went ahead and gave him all that I had made.
I highly recommend you look at Dutch Passion Seed Company website with their huge selection of various medicinals. They were pretty much the first to delve into the medicinal aspects of cannabis and I think they've done quite well.

My next cannabis toy/tool will be the ExtractCraft. It will give me the ability to make concentrates From dried Flower and a better product for making vaping carts. And it adds some flexibility into the utilization of what I grow. And it would fit in perfectly of what you want to do.

I would highly recommend getting an ArdentFX And with the silicone sleeve for extremely easy cleanup. I've had mine now for three years and it has been an extremely invaluable tool! I would suggest buying it first.
It's extremely easy to make infused oil! Either coconut or MCT. It is a one button touch with both decarb cycles for THC and CBD. I use the CBD cycle for the CBG A.and it was quite effective. After the decarb cycle has ran , all you do is add your oil and run the infuse cycle And then press and strain the results in a French press coffee maker. It's ridiculously simple and extremely effective! I think it is more valuable than my nug smasher press.

Here's the links to the products

Be sure to get the silicone sleeve! It makes cleanup so easy!

My main thread where I document my growing is in my signature. I also have Live medicinal thread where I talk about the use of what I grow medicinally.

Feel free to ask me any questions here or in either one of my threads or in PM 's,

Nerve pain can be a BITCH to control, as you will know. In your case, without the ability to smoke or vape , I do think you need the flexibility and quick acting with tinctures For when it's really bad and you need the relief fairly quick without having to wait for the oil to be absorbed r as a booster.
I think for the best results you need to have a decent level of CBD in your bloodstream, so that kind of means you have to take it just like medicine. Inflammation is a huge problem in their pain at least in my case. If I'm fighting an infection someplace else, I can definitely tell that my inflammation level is higher. That means you have to have a consistent product. I think this is your best way of doing so.
Bill -- how do you calculate how many MG's your doses have? Are you ever concerned with taking too much CBD?

Bill -- how do you calculate how many MG's your doses have? Are you ever concerned with taking too much CBD?
I've just got to test it manually. I've got two just test it one drop right at a time and see how it affects me. That's kind of why I like to make large batches, so I can easily dial in that batch to my needs.
I tell the people that I give the oil to the same thing. I tell them to take a dropper in various methods and see how it affects them.
And I'm not really concerned about even the one to one THC/CBD I grow, much less any straight CBD.
Now if I made RSO with my one to one THC/CBD I'd be very cautious. I still have the test RSOI made in preparing to make a large one For my old classmate that was dying of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Now that was all THC but I used just a tiny amount and it got me high for a very long time. It's what I use as a last resort to calm my pain before I have to go to ER. I've had to use it 4 or 5 times and it worked but it basically made a couch potato out of me! :biggrin: :rofl:

I'll eventually get a Tcheck so I can make more accurate medication. It probably really doesn't matter in the end , because everyone's dosage will be different and different with different pain levels

I've just got to test it manually. I've got two just test it one drop right at a time and see how it affects me. That's kind of why I like to make large batches, so I can easily dial in that batch to my needs.
I tell the people that I give the oil to the same thing. I tell them to take a dropper in various methods and see how it affects them.
And I'm not really concerned about even the one to one THC/CBD I grow, much less any straight CBD.
Now if I made RSO with my one to one THC/CBD I'd be very cautious. I still have the test RSOI made in preparing to make a large one For my old classmate that was dying of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Now that was all THC but I used just a tiny amount and it got me high for a very long time. It's what I use as a last resort to calm my pain before I have to go to ER. I've had to use it 4 or 5 times and it worked but it basically made a couch potato out of me! :biggrin: :rofl:

I'll eventually get a Tcheck so I can make more accurate medication. It probably really doesn't matter in the end , because everyone's dosage will be different and different with different pain levels
THC is a no-brainer, every batch I make gets the "try it" test, start small, work my way up, the results are obvious. I've done that enough times that at this point I'm usually spot on. But CBD is trickier for me, because I think it's possible to throw too much product at the problem, and over time that could have negative impacts. Between building up a tolerance and possibly negatively impacting my liver, I'm trying to figure out how much I actually need to get by. Since edibles are my only option, at least I have a consistent platform.

According to an online potency calculator, my last batch came to about 50mg per capsule. That's 4oz of flower made into 8oz of oil filling 350 size "0" capsules. I take four caps per day, but they aren't all that strong, some of my earlier batches were only about 30mg per cap and I mix up the batches every day for variety. Those numbers are rough, there are a lot of variables, but it's a starting point. I suspect that my last batch probably came near coconut oil's capacity for absorbing/bonding with melted trichomes, and I don't think I'll try to push the concentration further than that.

I think it's good to have reference points along the way, I'm not sure how many years I'll be doing this, it's been over a year and a half so far. I don't know if it's the same thing, but I've been getting (THC) high with edibles every evening for the last 18 years, and I'm taking roughly the same amount I always have, so my tolerance hasn't changed significantly. Maybe (if I'm lucky) my tolerance for CBD will plateau similarly.

Some of it's guessing, some is "flying by the seat of my pants", but so far this is working and I'd like it to keep doing that for as long as possible.

I read about Tchecks a while back in some thread, is the consensus that they are accurate? Looks like they can test oil based cbd products... interesting.

Last edited:
I like to keep things varied also. I utilize two types of THC/CBD Oil. One is made from properly dried flower or fresh froze and dry ice Shaked then squished. Decarbed and then infused into MCT oil.

The second is recovered medicine from the worked material of a dry ice shake. I shake for quality, so there is plenty more left in the material. I fan dry it, decarb, and then infuse in coconut oil. I do all my decarbing and infusing in my Ardent FX........... Except for the live Rosin which I do in my decarb capsule in my Nugsmaster mini. That will usually take three or four cycles to finish up the worked material. I strain and that infused oil in the next cycle and add a little fresh to make up the loss of the oil in the material.

The end result is usually quite potent. And the point is it's never the same, so it must be tested thoroughly! :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

A lot of times the coconut was much more potent and I think it was a bit more difficult to dose the way I was utilizing it for quite a while. I'd leave it in the big jars that I bought it in and keep it in the refrigerator. Naturally it would be hard so I just basically scrape it with a spoon or fork and then put that into whatever I was going to take it with. Sometimes my eyes were just too big! I'd be a lot of higher for a lot longer time than intended. :face: :face: :haha: :haha: :haha:
That's when I just started bottling everything up and eyedroppers and dosing in that fashion. I take a little time to let it warm up.
Now what is so good about the coconut oil is that, sometimes I get more than one strain and infused into that oil. That's really interesting things happen. And that's pretty much the way my THC in coconut oil is and has many many strains usually.

As far as tolerance goes, I think mine has been pretty stable for quite a while. Before I started growing my own, I made trips to Colorado to get what I considered quality rosin in carts. I did that one time and was good for about 6 months until I decided I'd rather grow my own. That's going on 5 years now. I still don't smoke or vape that much weed. I can still very easily get way too high! Way too easy sometimes!:funny::funny::funny::funny::haha:

This current grow is going to be exploring the world of CBG. This one will be a photo version of the auto that I grew. It seem to me the effect that I got from CVG was an extreme calming effect which seemingly also help me to breathe a bit better. My bronchial tubes just didn't feel as tight. This got me to thinking about my veteran friend in Dallas. He has quite severe asthma attacks that are brought on by the nerve damage the army caused him when they done surgery on him. He frequently has to go into the Dallas VA ER for treatment. So he and I are going to explore to see if this can be an aid in helping him avoid getting into serious trouble and is breathing. Now this will entail me changing my procedure. In order for this to be effective, it must be quick acting. This means it must be a tincture. Since I've read and kind of experience that CVG strains don't really squish very well, flower or hash, I will try it normally and decarb in my Arden FX and then alcohol extraction and final process in the ExtractCraft.
It should be a more potent and readily available product.
With the calming effect, it would seem likely it may be good for anxiety also..

This current grow is going to be exploring the world of CBG. This one will be a photo version of the auto that I grew. It seem to me the effect that I got from CVG was an extreme calming effect which seemingly also help me to breathe a bit better. My bronchial tubes just didn't feel as tight. This got me to thinking about my veteran friend in Dallas. He has quite severe asthma attacks that are brought on by the nerve damage the army caused him when they done surgery on him. He frequently has to go into the Dallas VA ER for treatment. So he and I are going to explore to see if this can be an aid in helping him avoid getting into serious trouble and is breathing. Now this will entail me changing my procedure. In order for this to be effective, it must be quick acting. This means it must be a tincture. Since I've read and kind of experience that CVG strains don't really squish very well, flower or hash, I will try it normally and decarb in my Arden FX and then alcohol extraction and final process in the ExtractCraft.
It should be a more potent and readily available product.
With the calming effect, it would seem likely it may be good for anxiety also..
CBG is something I lost sight of. There was a lot of talk about it awhile back, but everything was so anecdotal, fuzzy, and inconclusive I sort of forgot about it. I should revisit that. Sounds like it can help with inflammation and muscle soreness.

Do you work much with "a" / un-decarbed plant matter? I've been reading about the benefits of mixing CBD with CBDa. It's probably not possible to process with oil infusion since that's a heat based process, so it fell off my radar. I was thinking that I could add CBD kief to the mostly cooled oil just before I fill the capsules, as a way of adding CBDa to the mix. Might try that next round.

CBG is something I lost sight of. There was a lot of talk about it awhile back, but everything was so anecdotal, fuzzy, and inconclusive I sort of forgot about it. I should revisit that. Sounds like it can help with inflammation and muscle soreness.

Do you work much with "a" / un-decarbed plant matter? I've been reading about the benefits of mixing CBD with CBDa. It's probably not possible to process with oil infusion since that's a heat based process, so it fell off my radar. I was thinking that I could add CBD kief to the mostly cooled oil just before I fill the capsules, as a way of adding CBDa to the mix. Might try that next round.
I haven't heard of doing that, but it might have some Medicinal benefits. It's not gonna hurt anything!

Back