DIY: Million dollar mason jar! (hydgrometer jar tek)

TheSpacePope

Badge Hunter
Reaction score
Great idea right?

Most of us while drying and curing our fav. plant tend to put a hygrometer inside the jar with our herbs to make sure everything is good. Usually 1 per 2-3 jars is about average, or even some just eye ball their hard work. But damn that takes up so much room and gets costly, why wing it.

Well for me, I love my girls too much and from a science background. I like precision, clean, and better yet SIMPLE AND CHEAP that works.

"Yeah yeah, okay get on with your idea already" be patient :grin:

NOTE: If you do use this, dont be a A-hole, and just give me a mention is all I ask. SpacePope Jar or something
Disclaimer
Also: You are a full grown adult an you are responsible for your own actions, I will not be responsible for your stupidity if you cut your
canna%20boner%202.gif
off! :grin::grin:

Total cost for this project =$35 USD hell, most people drop that on two hygrometers alone! An no jars to boot!
You will need supplies.jpg
- 1 case of your size mason jars (10-11$ USD)mason.jpg
-1 Dry erase marker (free,everyone has one at home or at work or at school)marker.jpg
-Appropriate amount of ebay hygrometer(will link shortly) with 1-3 in reserve as a backup as JIC its outta sync or goes down(made in china aint what it used to be). For me $21 w/ free shipping for 6 mine is like this, but they have many style like rectangles, just email them to make sure the sensor is on the bottom.
ebay.jpg

- 1 pocket knife you dont care about or drill of appropriate size
knife.jpg

-At least 1 boveda 2-way humidor pack (1$ for 1 or 2) at any local reputable cigar shop.(free usually if you buy a cigar)20140919_124939.jpg

*variant optional, but I'd say just get it an just assume you'll muck up 1 or 2. Either glue or a bonding sealer.If your cuts are tight, it will lock itself in to the sheet metal via the clips.
seal.jpg

Your finished product will look like this:
20140919_124859.jpg
The 2 on the left have boveda 62% humipacks in them to check for accuracy of the hygrometer but middle one is 4-5months old.

***Note there is 1 deviation in the design which I'll mention.

Step 1: After you have all the supplies
1. Remove cap from mason jar and flip the Hygrometer over.
trace.jpg

2. Press down with your free hand and follow the outline.
(After 1 or two, you will be able to just eyeball it)
draw.jpg

Step 3:
Reattach lid and ring to the mason jar for stability for step 4.
reattach.jpg

Step 4:
STAB quickly and sternly in a single strike to the lid like so!

:Nope::Nope: Do not try and push it in or finesse it, this is sheet metal it will bow, and the whole cap will tear! An now you have a jar with no lid! An would have to buy another lid. Trust me :slaps: or you could use a drill but that is no fun
stab.jpg

Step 5:
Work your way around your outline, and remember what I said about sheet metal tearing so cut slow but firmly and we will get through this!
work around.jpg

Step 6:
Finish cut, but remember to leave a little lip like so
notice the lip.jpg

Step 7:
Check room, notice I cut slightly too much (if you mess up w/ a lil more room then expected. Dont panic keep reading)
But if you want not to use glue, make sure it is perfect sized, so you can skip my sealing phase unless you wannabe safe.

check room.jpg

Step 8:
It should sit just like this resting on the lip so it doesnt fall
should sit.jpg

Step 9: (remove lid from jar)
Press your hygrometer 1/2 way with fingers on top putting pressure from the bottom or you'll bend your lid outta shape, but not so the clips catches the sheet metal. If your meter is bending the lid, either you need to shave a touch more off or apply more direct pressure toward that specific spot from the bottom. IT SHOULD NOT BE more force than to break a bread loaf from the supermart!
half way NO.jpg

Step 10:
Now that it is either perfect snug or you notice your knifework isnt the best with slight gaping (like step 7), dont worry. That's why you listened to me and got that sealant/glue........Riiiiiigggghhht?

Start your sealant, we want this to be air tight remember
start glue.jpg

Step 11:
Just the right amount

glue.jpg

Step 12:
Press again from the bottom along the edge of your cut, pressing the sheet metal to make a proper bond
push from bottom.jpg

QUICKLY step 13:
Quickly before it cures, place lid back onto the jar and press firmly and evenly to ensure a deep seat in the lid
press evenly.jpg

Step 14:
Check for any separation gaps and fix em.
check for gaps.jpg

ALL DONE!

Just drop a Boveda in to check your seals and presto your done.

Note: If you used glue or sealant you should leave the lid off the jar for 24hrs before placing storage inside.

I hope you guys like this guide, drop a comment below.

Stay safe guys, n grower girls

The hat commands it!

-The SpacePope
:wiz: :grat:

Last edited by a moderator:
haha you beat me to it spacer pope, top marks. I got 5 of the digital hygrometers from china a couple of weeks a go, just sitting in a draw :) . I have a hole saw of the same size, so gonna use that to make the holes, looks like it should be a pretty snug fit.
Excellent tutorial on how to make your curing jar!
Nice one goauto6 for showing us the mechanical version too.
I got my meters for £1/$1.65 each & £8/$13 postage from China, still have to source my jars as all my current jars are "le Patfait" with flip top, clip glass lids.

:slap:

Last edited:
Back