DIY: Million dollar mason jar! (hydgrometer jar tek)

Great stuff@
I love mine and use it all the time. Need to make a few more so I can stop swapping it around!!

Very nice guide; I have one digital meter, but this looks so handy I might splurge for a number of manual meters and make several jars for storage as well as curing (that way I don't have to worry about the battery dying six months later).

I have some nice sealing caulk on hand, I imagine that will work just as well. Not sure about the knife; I may have to invest in a dremel rotary cutter for this one. Sending some rep your way for this simple but super effective DIY tip!

Great idea right?

Most of us while drying and curing our fav. plant tend to put a hygrometer inside the jar with our herbs to make sure everything is good. Usually 1 per 2-3 jars is about average, or even some just eye ball their hard work. But damn that takes up so much room and gets costly, why wing it.

Well for me, I love my girls too much and from a science background. I like precision, clean, and better yet SIMPLE AND CHEAP that works.

"Yeah yeah, okay get on with your idea already" be patient :grin:

NOTE: If you do use this, dont be a A-hole, and just give me a mention is all I ask. SpacePope Jar or something
Disclaimer
Also: You are a full grown adult an you are responsible for your own actions, I will not be responsible for your stupidity if you cut your
canna%20boner%202.gif
off! :grin::grin:

Total cost for this project =$35 USD hell, most people drop that on two hygrometers alone! An no jars to boot!
You will need View attachment 384214
- 1 case of your size mason jars (10-11$ USD)View attachment 384215
-1 Dry erase marker (free,everyone has one at home or at work or at school)View attachment 384216
-Appropriate amount of ebay hygrometer(will link shortly) with 1-3 in reserve as a backup as JIC its outta sync or goes down(made in china aint what it used to be). For me $21 w/ free shipping for 6 mine is like this, but they have many style like rectangles, just email them to make sure the sensor is on the bottom.
View attachment 384217

- 1 pocket knife you dont care about or drill of appropriate size
View attachment 384220

-At least 1 boveda 2-way humidor pack (1$ for 1 or 2) at any local reputable cigar shop.(free usually if you buy a cigar)View attachment 384218

*variant optional, but I'd say just get it an just assume you'll muck up 1 or 2. Either glue or a bonding sealer.If your cuts are tight, it will lock itself in to the sheet metal via the clips.
View attachment 384219

Your finished product will look like this:
View attachment 384203
The 2 on the left have boveda 62% humipacks in them to check for accuracy of the hygrometer but middle one is 4-5months old.

***Note there is 1 deviation in the design which I'll mention.

Step 1: After you have all the supplies
1. Remove cap from mason jar and flip the Hygrometer over.
View attachment 384221

2. Press down with your free hand and follow the outline.
(After 1 or two, you will be able to just eyeball it)
View attachment 384222

Step 3:
Reattach lid and ring to the mason jar for stability for step 4.
View attachment 384223

Step 4:
STAB quickly and sternly in a single strike to the lid like so!

:Nope::Nope: Do not try and push it in or finesse it, this is sheet metal it will bow, and the whole cap will tear! An now you have a jar with no lid! An would have to buy another lid. Trust me :slaps: or you could use a drill but that is no fun
View attachment 384224

Step 5:
Work your way around your outline, and remember what I said about sheet metal tearing so cut slow but firmly and we will get through this!
View attachment 384225

Step 6:
Finish cut, but remember to leave a little lip like so
View attachment 384226

Step 7:
Check room, notice I cut slightly too much (if you mess up w/ a lil more room then expected. Dont panic keep reading)
But if you want not to use glue, make sure it is perfect sized, so you can skip my sealing phase unless you wannabe safe.

View attachment 384227

Step 8:
It should sit just like this resting on the lip so it doesnt fall
View attachment 384228

Step 9: (remove lid from jar)
Press your hygrometer 1/2 way with fingers on top putting pressure from the bottom or you'll bend your lid outta shape, but not so the clips catches the sheet metal. If your meter is bending the lid, either you need to shave a touch more off or apply more direct pressure toward that specific spot from the bottom. IT SHOULD NOT BE more force than to break a bread loaf from the supermart!
View attachment 384235

Step 10:
Now that it is either perfect snug or you notice your knifework isnt the best with slight gaping (like step 7), dont worry. That's why you listened to me and got that sealant/glue........Riiiiiigggghhht?

Start your sealant, we want this to be air tight remember
View attachment 384243

Step 11:
Just the right amount

View attachment 384244

Step 12:
Press again from the bottom along the edge of your cut, pressing the sheet metal to make a proper bond
View attachment 384245

QUICKLY step 13:
Quickly before it cures, place lid back onto the jar and press firmly and evenly to ensure a deep seat in the lid
View attachment 384247

Step 14:
Check for any separation gaps and fix em.
View attachment 384248

ALL DONE!

Just drop a Boveda in to check your seals and presto your done.

Note: If you used glue or sealant you should leave the lid off the jar for 24hrs before placing storage inside.

I hope you guys like this guide, drop a comment below.

Stay safe guys, n grower girls

The hat commands it!

-The SpacePope
:wiz: :grat:

Whats the ideal humidity to start smoking the buds?

If i may...
All depends on preferences, I prefer a bit dryer than some at 53 to 56% but I start smoking them at 62 (I cure it with the boveda 62s) out of the jar and they fall to what I like pretty quick with some air flow, just seems to taste better when slightly dryer but it cures wonderfully at 62%.

If i may...
All depends on preferences, I prefer a bit dryer than some at 53 to 56% but I start smoking them at 62 (I cure it with the boveda 62s) out of the jar and they fall to what I like pretty quick with some air flow, just seems to taste better when slightly dryer but it cures wonderfully at 62%.
Wow. Thanks surffreak! very informative. will do as i just ordered a hygrometer. I love this web site and comunity! I have already had fun, learned things and its only been a few hours. so cool.

Back