Does Feed / Runoff pH matter in soil?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My hay like harvest from earlier this year
I have been under the impression that your feed pH as well as runoff pH is one of the most important pieces to do correctly. I have read that if your pH is not in the correct range for your medium, uptake of certain nutrients will fail. I saw a post on a forum that said your feed and runoff pH don't matter if you're growing in soil because the soil will buffer and correct the pH. Is this accurate?

Coco is the medium where one normally doesn't check runoff. Soil grows you check runoff.

I have been under the impression that your feed pH as well as runoff pH is one of the most important pieces to do correctly. I have read that if your pH is not in the correct range for your medium, uptake of certain nutrients will fail. I saw a post on a forum that said your feed and runoff pH don't matter if you're growing in soil because the soil will buffer and correct the pH. Is this accurate?

That mainly applies to living soils and super soils..

No I personally check both weather it's soil or not when using a salt based nutrient bc of salt build up, also its the best way to see how much ur plant is eating if ur feeding 500ppm and u test run off and it's at 1000ppm it's not eating all of ur feed so now u no to drop nutes for a few days ect. Can you grow big beautiful plants with out doing this of course but it's very good for diagnosing lock out or ph problems ect.

go LOS n let the soil worry about it...

Even a completely organic soil can have pH issues. Also, having an excess or lack of salt based nutrients can drastically affect any soil. Being resiliant enough to survive a harsh medium is one thing. Thriving in a well balanced medium is another. Checking the runoff is an easy and quick way to assess your medium. It can also stop problems before they start. Just my opinion.

He asked if ph matter if growin in soil. The answer is no cause that is how soil works. The ph is written on the soil bag. I

Yes I adviced someone like that cause it is the right answer for all plants. You don't need to measure runoff for any plant!
I've changed the pH inadvertently in my soil once before and I don't use nutrients. If your soil recipe is incorrect in the beginning it can lead to pH probs later in your grow. Eg, blood Meal - feather meal.

Did not mean to start a war here. Just a new grower that enjoys growing. I don't use cannabis, but my wife does. She deserves the best stuff I can possibly grow. I am going to continue performing "bro science" and pH'ing my water, because that has worked for me in the past. Thanks guys!

He asked if ph matter if growin in soil. The answer is no cause that is how soil works. The ph is written on the soil bag. I

Yes I adviced someone like that cause it is the right answer for all plants. You don't need to measure runoff for any plant!
It's not about weed man, it's about soil and all plants. They thrive in soil without someone foolin around with a ph pen.
If a beginner ask, is it important to measure ph water in and ph water out, what is correct, answer is just no cause soil is not hydro.

Prepare the pot, water it, grow it and harvest it, adjust the next pot, no pourin this or that or measurin runoff, it's advanced growin not for beginners.

These are your quotes... You don't have a ph problem.. Ph doesn't matter, there's only one answer, remember, lol. Ph has ALWAYS mattered. It sounds like you grow outdoors and that you don't by bagged soils. Most of us are just the opposite. We buy soil in bags. Most bagged soils like Roots Organic, Fox Farms, Mother Earth ect, have a soil ph buffered to about 7. Some 6.5. They also usually have enough nutrients already in the soil to feed the plant for the first few weeks. After those first few weeks, it's up to the grower to feed the plant. Most of us use some sort of bottled nutrient line like Advanced Nutrients, Mega Crop, Remo ect. I use Dutch Pro. Its common knowledge that nutrients can only be taken up by the plant when the ph of the nutrient mix is in a certain range. Personally, when I mix all three parts of the Dutch Pro nutrients line, the ph of the feed is 4.2. YES, 4.2. If you are using a bottles nutrient, those nutrients are immediately available to the plant. They don't have to be broken down. Bottled nutrients are like putting an IV line in the plants veins. But what nutrients can the plant take up at a 4.2 ph? Hmmm.. Let's check the ph uptake chart..
soilPhChart.gif

So, according to this well used, industry standard chart, only iron is available at a 4.2 ph. That's bad.. I want all nutrients available for uptake.. So I ph my mix up to 6.0ish.. I do this because I know that ph naturally rises as the water settles into the soil.. So I leave a little room for it to go up to 6.5ish on its own, where all nutrients are available to the plant. If you feed a plant a mix of nutrients that is out of ph range, the plant cant take up the nutrients. That's when deficiencies start showing.. And its usually more tham just one because more than one nutrient is out of range.That's ONE way ph matters..

Now.. Let's say I grow organic and don't use bottled nutrients.. Just water only.. No ph'ing. Lets say the soil is buffered at a 6.5 ph.. Say we water the plant as normal for a month or so.. Then one day I decided to check the ph of my tap water just for the heck of it.. Lets say the tap water is 8.5 out of the tap.. After a month of adding 8.5 ph water to 6.5 ph soil, that 6.5 number will obviously start to rise.. This can make certain nutrients unavailable, causing deficiencies to show..

I don't know how to help you with a ph issie if you dont believe in ph, or that it even matters. You could have a ph issue in your soil.. Especially if your not ph'ing the water or checking the ph of the water. You could also have a ph issue if the pot your using doesnt have drainage holes or a way to release excess water. Ooooorrrr.. Your soil could just be depleted of nutrients from the last run it was used in... It could just need a fresh top dress.. There's never just One simple answer... But one way to check and know for sure is a SOIL PH METER, lol... Or by checking the ph of the run off (But that's a last resort because it's very unreliable).. That will either elimate or confirm a possible ph issue. If the ph is fine, then we start trouble shooting other areas.

Last edited:
If I can chime in - being a LOS / SIP Grower - I have never checked runoff in my containers as I don’t have any run off with a SIP Container so even if it is good to check, impossible for me to check - not sure if this helps settle anything but even when I grew in cloth pots .....

Never checked PH runoff or PPM for that matter - In a LOS Grow, we start with soil that is slightly acid and water that is close to correct PH, I use rainwater btw and have never looked at PH after that and all seems fine .... Peace, MOB

Back