Dutch Passion DP Auto Blueberry Male?

E

ElGuapo

I bought 3 DP AutoFem Blueberry seeds about a month ago and put one of them to soil about 3 weeks ago. This morning during my routine plant check, I check "her" over to see if there are any signs of pre-flowering. What I find instead is the tell-tale mini grape bunch looking mass right at the very top, looking like a male. No signs of anything female looking at all. The first thing I did was to move it into my "boy box" two floors up. A few days should give it time to grow out a little, and I can be sure.

I normally get 1/2 to 3/4 female plants and this one was handled exactly like all the others, so it hasn't had any odd stresses. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Has anyone else had something like this happen?
check out my DP BB grow in my sig...i got a male BB from a fem. seed too...:D

check out my DP BB grow in my sig...i got a male BB from a fem. seed too...:D

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your journal. My Blueberry is 3 days behind yours. I was kinda thinking along the same lines as you, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just a little time invested is all. In about 2 weeks it should start dropping pollen for my freezer. I'll likely get the other BB seeds in soil later today.

I've done some reading up on the whole fem/hermie thing but it left me wondering if a plant is forced to hermie if it would really make it's offspring have a greater tendency to do so. I know that the ability to hermie is in the genetics of all cannabis, but would the process of forcing it to hermie change the genetics. I can see where a plant that hermies naturally would have a greater chance of passing on that trait as it would be genetic, rather than being caused environmentally.

I've done some reading up on the whole fem/hermie thing but it left me wondering if a plant is forced to hermie if it would really make it's offspring have a greater tendency to do so. I know that the ability to hermie is in the genetics of all cannabis, but would the process of forcing it to hermie change the genetics. I can see where a plant that hermies naturally would have a greater chance of passing on that trait as it would be genetic, rather than being caused environmentally.
i too have done ALOT of reading on this...and have come to the conclusion...that i'm going to have do the grows to really know for myself!..one thing says yea...one thing says nay....i say...i'll do it myself and know for sure!...:thumbs:...:smokebuds:

that is something that I have always thought too. Check out Bruce lipton's work on epigenetics, i would imagine that it affects plants too, that genes can be expressed many ways depending on the environmental factors around them, ie; you may have the gene for cancer, but if you aren't exposed to the factors that trigger the epigenetic expression of the cancer gene, you won't get cancer. I would imagine that it would take alot of crossing to bring the expression of hermies to the progeny. But I am not a breeder, would be interesting to hear some of the DP team thoughts on this...

the autofem process should give rise to 95% females, so from time to time there will be the odd male appearing. So I would say you just got unlucky to find a male.

On the other hand you could use the male for your own pollination experiments, One thing which has surprised me has been hearing how many people actually want to be able to get male auto's for breeding. You can collect pollen in a small glass jar and use an artists paint brush to artificially pollinate.

Best of luck with the rest of the grow and let me know if there are any issues

well add 1 more for the want a male camp tony i don't think I've even seen any reg bluberry auto seed
anywhere

Just taking a guess here, but it's likely that 95% of a seed company's customers are just growing out a few plants at a time, then deciding what new strain they want to try next. Rinse, lather, repeat. The AFN forum trolls here fit into the other 5%, the breeders and experimenters who like to have the options that regular seeds provide. If we want fem seeds, we can make our own, or make crosses, or...

It will be interesting to see what will come of the offspring of the femmed male and female. I've never read of a male plant that would hermie and produce female flowers later on, so I would hazard a guess that it had very strong male tendencies to begin with.

I just germed 7 auto BB Sunday and would love to pull a male out of the batch.

These ladies are destined for a stealth grow strewn among my vegetable garden. I will start a grow journal as soon as it is worth taking pics.

Back