Fan settings too high?

LearningMore

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have Infinity T6 fans in my 4x4s and 2x4. I find that I’m having to run them at high speeds (7-9) to keep the temps from climbing above 80. I keep the lung room around 75. I keep seeing people talk about running fans at much lower settings. Am I missing something? To reduce the negative pressure, I have the vents open and I also leave the door flaps unzipped a bit at the bottom. The room has central air (carbon filters over vents) but also a window AC, and I have fans within the room itself circulating the cool air.

Is this just a temp issue, such that there isn’t a big enough difference from lung room to tent? I’m running HLG 600s and 300 respectively, not full power (though close, as I’m finally in flower). The temps are stable (drop about 5 degrees when lights out), so it’s more of a comfort issue for my ears. Just thought I’d see if there’s something I’m missing.

Presuming the "lung room" is the tents' air source, its air is at 75˚F and you want the tent to stay at or below 80˚F, just a few degrees difference (not much cooling power when mixed), of course you're going to have problems. Your highly efficient lights are still heating the air some constantly, and the source air being only ≤5˚F lower here isn't enough to do the cooling. You need to have lower source air temperature, more like 10˚F difference.

You probably need to turn on the window AC. You'll be trading AC noise for exhaust fan noise. I don't see how you can solve your problem without more moving cooler air around (more noise).

This all presumes that you are exhausting the heated filtered air to the outside, not recycling heated air into your "lung room." If you're not exhausting the heat, of course it's going to build up.

Presuming the "lung room" is the tents' air source, its air is at 75˚F and you want the tent to stay at or below 80˚F, just a few degrees difference (not much cooling power when mixed), of course you're going to have problems. Your highly efficient lights are still heating the air some constantly, and the source air being only ≤5˚F lower here isn't enough to do the cooling. You need to have lower source air temperature, more like 10˚F difference.

You probably need to turn on the window AC. You'll be trading AC noise for exhaust fan noise. I don't see how you can solve your problem without more moving cooler air around (more noise).

This all presumes that you are exhausting the heated filtered air to the outside, not recycling heated air into your "lung room." If you're not exhausting the heat, of course it's going to build up.

Thanks. I figured the delta of the temps was ultimately the issue, but just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. I’ll keep the fans at the higher level, since they run less power than jacking up the AC further. As you said, noise either way.

Saw a cool trick posted on here. Freeze a good size tuppaware container filled with water and put it infront of your fan so it blows cold air over it and cools the tent down. Keep a few in rotation so there is always one at the ready.

Back