New Grower First Grow - Northern Lights/Pineapple Express/Sweet Tooth (Autos)

Thanks for the tips.

I'm a little less worried about watering the plants when they get older. It's this scary seedling stage that's killing me lol. I've basically been watering my seedlings once a day by doing a circle of water around the seedling and going toward the rim of the pot with a little amount near the stem. They seem to look healthy atm so I guess I'm not doing a bad job.

I added 2 23w cfls about 6-7 inches away from both seedlings before I went to sleep. When I woke up they were both bending toward the cfl's. It was so damn cool to see them do that! It also made me release that maybe I could lower my led a bit so I lowered it down to like 18 inches or so.

Pic update today!

Hey, Freiya!
It sounds like you're getting some good advice on the water, and doing fine. :grin:
And no worries, I always stress when they're babies...
For quieter airflow right now, you could look into one of those 2 speed cheapy personal fans like they sell at WallyWorld (I still love mine). Very compact and quiet, and enough to keep ya going. Air movement is very important!
I'd also be careful when it comes time to use the Maxi-Cal. Autos can be a bit touchy when it comes to nutes, so remember to to keep total N in mind when you dose it. Lots of folks prefer a cal mag without the extras added into it.
:peace:

Hey, Freiya!
It sounds like you're getting some good advice on the water, and doing fine. :grin:
And no worries, I always stress when they're babies...
For quieter airflow right now, you could look into one of those 2 speed cheapy personal fans like they sell at WallyWorld (I still love mine). Very compact and quiet, and enough to keep ya going. Air movement is very important!
I'd also be careful when it comes time to use the Maxi-Cal. Autos can be a bit touchy when it comes to nutes, so remember to to keep total N in mind when you dose it. Lots of folks prefer a cal mag without the extras added into it.
:peace:

Yea man I'm thinking I won't even use that cal mag, I'm pretty scared lol. I'm not exactly sure how the whole npk thing is supposed to work though. I know during veg N is important. If I use a solution that is 16-16-16 and my cal mag is 10-0-0 will that be bad? and if i'm using 4-26-26 during flowering will 10 extra N make a difference? it's so confusing.

This damn sweet tooth refuses to break soil. I think it's like day 4 now since I planted it. Trying hard not to dig it up lol.

Pics!!

Wish I could figure out how to take better pics with my phone. -_-

IMG_20140602_200626.jpgIMG_20140602_200619.jpgIMG_20140602_200636.jpg

You're correct, N is very inportant in veg. P and K are also important, but more for flowering and beyond.
If you haven't yet, check out the first 3 links in my signature. Must reading for anyone growing autos. I still read them.:grin:
Check out General Organics CaMg+.It's an 0-0-0, the "plus" being fermented sugars.
Looking good, Friend, and :karma Cloud: for that lazy bean! Give her time, sometimes they like to sleep in a bit."uuuuggghhhh.."

The lazy bean is driving me bonkers! it sucks because even if she pops she gonna be so far behind her sisters and if I have to germ and plant another one it's going to be so behind as well lol. On the bright side, my northern lights is doing really really well so far. Her 2nd set of leaves is growing in and getting a lil bigger each day. Few more days and they will be normal sized I think. The pineapple is a few days behind her even though she originally was only about a half a day behind. I'm pretty sure I stunted her a little with the fan incident, but she is recovering and trying to catch up.

So far so good for my first grow. I even took one of my clip fans and set it outside the tent to make some active intake. It dropped my temp 1 degree. I'm not even going to water today. Going to go a whole day without watering and let the soil get a bit dry. =)

I wish I remembered what day I planted that seed. I'm pretty sure we are going on day 5 though. I dunno if I should start a new one or just let it keep going and if it fails just stick with 2 plants for my first try. My biggest worry is not having enough meds to last me until the next grow. Ideally I would like to reach harvest and get enough to where I don't have to start a 2nd grow for a month after the first one. I know first grows tend to not go very well, but I feel I've really done a lot of research and I'm not a total idiot. I'd really like to get an Oz from each plant lol.

Keep hope alive!

Ps. Thanks red and mods for getting me moved to the newb section. It's where I belong. =D

Last edited:
I wish I remembered what day I planted that seed. I'm pretty sure we are going on day 5 though. I dunno if I should start a new one or just let it keep going and if it fails just stick with 2 plants for my first try.
Hard to say on that lazy bean, especially if you never saw a root. I'd give it a bit more time, but have a bean waiting in the wings.
The height difference can be solved by putting the little guy on blocks. My first grow was mixed strains, and dang did I get well aquainted with blocking plants!

I know first grows tend to not go very well, but I feel I've really done a lot of research and I'm not a total idiot. I'd really like to get an Oz from each plant lol.
LOL! You're going great, and you're one-up on me... my first grow, I was a total idiot! :Smokin:
My Northern Light actually received a BOM NOM, believe it or not (not a winner, but what an honor). Not 'cause of me, but because of all the good folks who on a daily basis kept me from killing her!
I'm betting you get your oz per plant, and then some. "Izzy wizzy"

Damn I didn't even think about adding stuff to make the pot higher. That's definitely something I can do. I'm still trying to debate if I should get some 45w bulbs as well. I was going to have 2x 23w bulbs on each side of my led but I think 1x 23w + 1x 45w on each side would be a lot better. I'm really starting to worry about heat at this point though. I really regret spending 25$ on that booster fan. I should have got a real fan which probably would have my temps a lot lower right now. I'm going to end up having to get one sooner or later -_-

Damn I didn't even think about adding stuff to make the pot higher. That's definitely something I can do. I'm still trying to debate if I should get some 45w bulbs as well. I was going to have 2x 23w bulbs on each side of my led but I think 1x 23w + 1x 45w on each side would be a lot better. I'm really starting to worry about heat at this point though. I really regret spending 25$ on that booster fan. I should have got a real fan which probably would have my temps a lot lower right now. I'm going to end up having to get one sooner or later -_-

Whats your temp? I run 31 celcius with c02

81-82 degrees about. When I put the thermometer on the pot it gets to like 83

Back