New Grower First Grow - Northern Lights/Pineapple Express/Sweet Tooth (Autos)

Freiya

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello AFN!

Pretty new here and after reading tons of info and tons of journals I've decided to start my own.

I've never grown a single plant before in my life so I'm pretty noob at all of this. I've always wanted to grow some bud but I've never had the opportunity because until recently I was living with my moms and that was a no no. Now that I've gotten an apt with my gf and introduced her to weed (took a few sessions but she loves it now) I'm going for it!

Tbh I'm feeling really nervous and feeling the pressure as we've invested a nice chunk of money into this and I don't want to fail. Especially considering I moved to a new state and can't find a dealer for the life of me I CAN'T FAIL BECAUSE I WANT TO SMOKE!!! lol

Soo what I have at the moment.

G box tent = 4'x2'x4'

300w (150 -170w or so draw) topledgrowlight led

4x 23w CFL (mix of 2600k and 6500k). Was thinking of switching a few of them out for 45w bulbs but not sure if I should?

Foxfarms ocean forest soil

Sea Grow (Grow More) nutes. 16-16-16 and 4-26-26 along with the Hawaiian Bud and Maxi-cal (10-0-0) for mag/cal problems. Though apparently this product is not that great. Not sure If I will use it or buy something else for cal mag

2 Gallon Air pots

2 6" clip fans

Passive intake and 1 6" 250 CFM inline booster fan for exhaust. Going to make a DIY carbon filter and get some Ona. If that doesn't work I will just buy a real filter I can afford.

I also bought the same thermo/humidity sensor that everyone and their momma seems to have on this forum from amazon.

little liquid ph tester thingie. I know I should have got a pen but money is tight.

I planted my northern lights on the 27th after soaking it in a little container of water for about 6 hours. The seed never sunk but I planted it anyway. It just sprouted like 30 minutes ago.

I'm happy because I was totally freaking out thinking it wouldn't sprout. I didn't realize I was supposed to water my soil before I planted the seeds. I just kept spraying the top of the soil with a spray bottle I should have added those little containers for humidity from the beginning!

I didn't get to plant them all at the same time as I had to wait a bit longer for my last 2 air pots to show up. I used the paper towel method for the PE and ST. The PE germed after about 2 days and the ST cracked open after 2 and a half but no root was showing, I tried to wait about 12 more hours and still no root so I just said screw it and planted it as well.

I read about wetting the soil well before planting the seed after I planted the PE so the ST is the only pot that got watered prior to planting lol.

I'm really excited and can't wait for all of them to pop up. Hopefully they all do!

I currently have my led about 26 inches away from the top of the pots I'm assuming that's plenty far enough?

One thing that was kind of stressing me out is the fact that we're moving in about 16 days to a new apt and we are hiring movers to do the dirty work. I was thinking the plants would still be pretty small at that point and I can just lightly place garbage bags over the pots and move them and reset up my tent in the closet before anyone comes. I'm having my gf get the movers to come a day after our move in date so I will have plenty of time to get my setup going again in the new spot.

Thanks for stopping by for the first day in my grow log! I know it was long so if you read it all you're awesome! =)

IMG_20140531_004013.jpgIMG_20140531_004040.jpg

Last edited:
Hello!!

so far the northern lights and pineapple express have sprouted and I've officially entered the seedling stage. I have 1 important question, what are good temps for seedlings? currently the temp in my tent is 82f. and RH hovers about 40%. Is that bad? I'm really worried about stressing these little guys so I want to get the temps right. I know 82f is easily doable in the vegetative stage, but I have no idea about seedlings.

Thanks!

Damn it's hard to get replies around here huh? :help:

So I had my fan blowing on the little girls and I guess I had one blowing a bit hard cause the baby got pretty beat up by it after a while. I hope I didn't hurt her! ;(

AIR POTS ARE SO SCARY!! I feel like i'm over watering every single time. I was under the impression I shouldn't be watering every day, but it feels like I need to. Hope I'm not over doing it. qq

40% RH and 82º F is just fine...expect that RH to go up as the plants get bigger and represent more moisture in the enclosure. Mine went from low 20's to 40's and 50's once my plant got full-sized.

IMHO, you want indirect breeze from the fan...and maybe very low, just for the sake of air movement until the plant establishes itself a bit more.

Airpots aren't scary, they're AWESOME. Your watering schedule really is based on just keeping it moist but not WET for a while here in seedling stage. Maybe keeping the rest of the soil moist by watering in a ring pattern around the perimeter as well. But you want to create a cylinder of moist going straight down from the stalk of the seedling to "train" the roots to start heading for the bottom of the pot.

My 2 cents

Thanks man. I've actually been doing a ring of water around the seedling. I heard a few people say it's like impossible to overwater an airpot, hope they're right!

I almost feel like my temp readings are wrong. I swear it doesn't seem as hot in my tent as the readings would indicate. I wanted to get away without using my exhaust fan right now but when I turn it off the temp went up to like 86 (still didn't FEEL that hot lol). Gawd the noise from this fan sucks. I can't wait to move, having my tent in the living room is horrible haha.

Ps. I think I should have made this journal in the beginner section. qq

Well, it IS very possible to stunt a seedling by over watering it ;)

Thanks!

I took some pics earlier today but the seedlings are so small and the led light made it almost impossible to see them lol. I'm going to take more pics tomorrow with the light off.

Still waiting on my sweet tooth to break the soil. qq. I figure I will continue to let the lights stay on for a few weeks and then I will go to 18/6

At the moment I only have the led on, I figure I'll turn the cfl's on after the seedlings are a little older. I'm also not exactly sure how I should set the cfl's up. I'm thinking maybe it will be better if I put 2 on each extension cord and hang one cord on the left and one cord on the right.

Thanks man. I've actually been doing a ring of water around the seedling. I heard a few people say it's like impossible to overwater an airpot, hope they're right!

I almost feel like my temp readings are wrong. I swear it doesn't seem as hot in my tent as the readings would indicate. I wanted to get away without using my exhaust fan right now but when I turn it off the temp went up to like 86 (still didn't FEEL that hot lol). Gawd the noise from this fan sucks. I can't wait to move, having my tent in the living room is horrible haha.

Ps. I think I should have made this journal in the beginner section. qq

Little warmer for sprouting is fine.

Trapper will probably join me with this comment. Watering airpots is a science in itself.
Once the plant is established you'll work out what works well for your grow but this is what I was doing...
10ltr airpot will take 1 - 1.5 ltr of water from almost dry. I gave my plant 200ml then left it for a few min. Then another 200, 2 more minutes, repeat as needed. Pour slowly, if you dump the water in quick you'll get runoff out the side of the pot.
Subbed in & the best of luck man.

Back