Mephisto Genetics First grow!

Reaction score
What's up Meph Heads!

First time indoor grower here but I am no stranger to the garden. I have a few years of indoor vegetable growing under my belt as well(nothing super fancy). Well technically not the first grow ever, I did have 2 somewhat successful outdoor standard strain grows well over a decade ago lol. Back when the Low Ryder strain was super popular and controversial and now the autoflower realm is total insanity! I love how this industry has self innovated so drastically

I will hopefully be popping some beans in the soil within the next 2 weeks. Waiting on my light to come in and I need to grab a few more last minute items and get everything set up before I get started

4x4x7 grow tent
4" fan and carbon filter
1 HLG-600H V2
Inkbird temp and rh controller

I plan running a small 3" duct through the bottom of my tent as an intake with some cheesecloth secured to the end as a makeshift filter. I may add a small fan hooked up on the intake and have it attached with the exhaust on the inkbird to run in sync if I have any issues. Humidifier/dehumidifier and several fans for both the floor and canopy. I also have an exhale 365 co2 bag

Here are the strains I'll be running from MG

Sour Stomper
Toof Decay
SODK
DBC x Sour Bubbly

3 gallon smart pots with a coco/perlite mix and organic dry amendments. I'll be feeding weekly with compost tea and possibly top dressing halfway through with more dry amendments. I'm still unsure of how eager these plants will be. In my vegetable garden I typically only amend the soil after each season and feed weekly with compost tea without top dressing at all(I add unfinished compost as a mulch)

I'm considering 6 plants total, 2x stomper, 2x toof decay, and 1 each of the sodk and dbc x sb but open to suggestions on those numbers. I am looking for quality first and foremost but yield is also important as this will be my main source of medication

Thoughts and opinions on the amount of plants for the space and lighting? I'm getting pretty broad results in my research with anywhere from 4-16 plants in a space like this. It seems like 5-9 is the common range so I figured I'd go on the lighter side of that so I dont overwhelm myself. I understand that lighting plays a roll so I dont want to overcrowd anything if these turn into monsters lol

Any input or advice is welcome! Thanks guys, I'll be posting a grow journal once I get the tent up and going

Edit
I plan to do some LST on all of the plants and possibly SCROG

Last edited:
First off welcome! If you didnt do an intro go and do one @archie gemmill is the man to get you set up around here!

I've grown, and am growing now, a number of toof decay. I've grown toof decay and sodk.

When you lst a plant it makes them shorter but much wider. I have a 2x4x5 space and if I want to lst plants I can fit between 2-4 plants. Toof decay if lst certain ways can take upto a 2x2 space. But I do think your idea of 6 in a 4x4x7 space is good. You are going to need to adjust your light height throughout the grow to make sure you have enough light for it. I myself use a total of 1200 watts of equivalent LEDs in a 2x4x5 space but some see it as over kill. Most use like a 600 and 300 or a 900 or 2 600 led for a 4x4 space but I think you'll get a decent yield, I would use more light myself though. Just know that during flower you're gonna need a lot of light, not too much as to toast the leaves though, (but you know that already from growing indoor veggies).

What are you amending with? Sometimes your soil amendments are enough but cannabis plants can take the whole amount of nutrients within the first month of growing and then deplete everything and make you scratch your head wondering why all of a sudden your beautiful plant is getting yellow and brown and crunchy.

I know I missed a lot, this is just a quick blurb. Please ask me questions. I dont claim to know a lot. But please tag me with @MissUniverse in your messages when you want to summon me on a thread so i can reply as i dont tend to watch threads as there are so many

First off welcome! If you didnt do an intro go and do one @archie gemmill is the man to get you set up around here!

I've grown, and am growing now, a number of toof decay. I've grown toof decay and sodk.

When you lst a plant it makes them shorter but much wider. I have a 2x4x5 space and if I want to lst plants I can fit between 2-4 plants. Toof decay if lst certain ways can take upto a 2x2 space. But I do think your idea of 6 in a 4x4x7 space is good. You are going to need to adjust your light height throughout the grow to make sure you have enough light for it. I myself use a total of 1200 watts of equivalent LEDs in a 2x4x5 space but some see it as over kill. Most use like a 600 and 300 or a 900 or 2 600 led for a 4x4 space but I think you'll get a decent yield, I would use more light myself though. Just know that during flower you're gonna need a lot of light, not too much as to toast the leaves though, (but you know that already from growing indoor veggies).

What are you amending with? Sometimes your soil amendments are enough but cannabis plants can take the whole amount of nutrients within the first month of growing and then deplete everything and make you scratch your head wondering why all of a sudden your beautiful plant is getting yellow and brown and crunchy.

I know I missed a lot, this is just a quick blurb. Please ask me questions. I dont claim to know a lot. But please tag me with @MissUniverse in your messages when you want to summon me on a thread so i can reply as i dont tend to watch threads as there are so many
Good post!!! :d5:

What's up Meph Heads!

First time indoor grower here but I am no stranger to the garden. I have a few years of indoor vegetable growing under my belt as well(nothing super fancy). Well technically not the first grow ever, I did have 2 somewhat successful outdoor standard strain grows well over a decade ago lol. Back when the Low Ryder strain was super popular and controversial and now the autoflower realm is total insanity! I love how this industry has self innovated so drastically

I will hopefully be popping some beans in the soil within the next 2 weeks. Waiting on my light to come in and I need to grab a few more last minute items and get everything set up before I get started

4x4x7 grow tent
4" fan and carbon filter
1 HLG-600H V2
Inkbird temp and rh controller

I plan running a small 3" duct through the bottom of my tent as an intake with some cheesecloth secured to the end as a makeshift filter. I may add a small fan hooked up on the intake and have it attached with the exhaust on the inkbird to run in sync if I have any issues. Humidifier/dehumidifier and several fans for both the floor and canopy. I also have an exhale 365 co2 bag

Here are the strains I'll be running from MG

Sour Stomper
Toof Decay
SODK
DBC x Sour Bubbly

3 gallon smart pots with a coco/perlite mix and organic dry amendments. I'll be feeding weekly with compost tea and possibly top dressing halfway through with more dry amendments. I'm still unsure of how eager these plants will be. In my vegetable garden I typically only amend the soil after each season and feed weekly with compost tea without top dressing at all(I add unfinished compost as a mulch)

I'm considering 6 plants total, 2x stomper, 2x toof decay, and 1 each of the sodk and dbc x sb but open to suggestions on those numbers. I am looking for quality first and foremost but yield is also important as this will be my main source of medication

Thoughts and opinions on the amount of plants for the space and lighting? I'm getting pretty broad results in my research with anywhere from 4-16 plants in a space like this. It seems like 5-9 is the common range so I figured I'd go on the lighter side of that so I dont overwhelm myself. I understand that lighting plays a roll so I dont want to overcrowd anything if these turn into monsters lol

Any input or advice is welcome! Thanks guys, I'll be posting a grow journal once I get the tent up and going

Edit
I plan to do some LST on all of the plants and possibly SCROG

me already welcomed u in over in introz, so hey again :toke: soundz like ur dialed in purty good, and hey, with that space, u could alwayz toss in a NL (HINT! :biggrin: hehe) it'z me all-time fave strain & u simply can't go wrong with NL :thumbsup: it'z a great medical strain & me got 2 growin atm...feel free to check out me journal if ya want :thumbsup:

subbed up! :pop: :smoking: ppp

hi and :welcome: i grow in a small space 50x100cm with 180w of light.
most tent dwellers dont bother with an intake fan,with enough openings/flaps its not needed.rooms on the otherhand most likely have an intake fan.
5 plants is the norm :thumbsup: others think if ya can see the floor,get another plant started.swings and roundabouts.
good luck n keep er lit
:pighug:

I like your set-up for light, ventilation may be short in CFM to keep humidity in control in flower. I use an 8" in 4x6x8 space 6" was not enough. You have about 1.5 m² of space and a good metric for yield is 500g per m² so 750 grams is a good yield for the space. At 1.7g/watt (optimistic number I have barely achieved). 600w*1.7 = 1020grams but 1.5g/watt = 900g so still more than the numbers for the size of the space. You have plenty of light even for photoperiod plants. Using those common metrics look at the yield estimate from the breeder for the strains you want to grow most of them will give you an idea of the grams per m² to determine how many plants to run. That said you can squeeze a lot of plants in any space they just will not grow to their individual potential because the light and space become limiting factors. I live in California where 6 plants is a legal grow so that is what I start with. If one or two have problems I can still hit the yield numbers based on my light and space constraints. Six plants can get crowded in my 4x6 footprint. Here is a recent picture using a fisheye lens:

w10a.jpg

Good luck and welcome to AFN

I like your set-up for light, ventilation may be short in CFM to keep humidity in control in flower. I use an 8" in 4x6x8 space 6" was not enough. You have about 1.5 m² of space and a good metric for yield is 500g per m² so 750 grams is a good yield for the space. At 1.7g/watt (optimistic number I have barely achieved). 600w*1.7 = 1020grams but 1.5g/watt = 900g so still more than the numbers for the size of the space. You have plenty of light even for photoperiod plants. Using those common metrics look at the yield estimate from the breeder for the strains you want to grow most of them will give you an idea of the grams per m² to determine how many plants to run. That said you can squeeze a lot of plants in any space they just will not grow to their individual potential because the light and space become limiting factors. I live in California where 6 plants is a legal grow so that is what I start with. If one or two have problems I can still hit the yield numbers based on my light and space constraints. Six plants can get crowded in my 4x6 footprint. Here is a recent picture using a fisheye lens:

View attachment 1078499

luv that pic! :thumbsup: :cheers:

Thank you for the advice @MissUniverse ! This will be my first go around with a light set up like this. I have a very basic indoor vegetable garden with several t5 setups and mostly do herbs, seed starts and lettuce during the summer months for my indoors.

I'm still doing some reading but for now it seems a good starting point for light distance is 45-50" above soil level for veg and 25-30" above canopy for flower, does this sound pretty accurate? I know I'll have to make adjustments as I go. I'll have dimming capabilities as well so not sure how I will incorporate that into the mix

I'll be amending with insect frass, xtreme mykos/azos, ans down to earth brand - kelp meal, vegan mix, bat guano. I am throwing around the idea of adding some compost and vermicompost. My weekly tea feedings are either a mixture of all of these or the boogie brew mix, aerated for 24-36 hours

me already welcomed u in over in introz, so hey again :toke: soundz like ur dialed in purty good, and hey, with that space, u could alwayz toss in a NL (HINT! :biggrin: hehe) it'z me all-time fave strain & u simply can't go wrong with NL :thumbsup: it'z a great medical strain & me got 2 growin atm...feel free to check out me journal if ya want :thumbsup:

subbed up! :pop: :smoking: ppp

Thank you :) I actually have some NL and a few crosses on the way from Canuk now!

View attachment 1078499

Thank you! I was actually worried about my exhaust system being borderline too small. I had initially planned on a 3x3 tent and went with a 4x4 last minute. I suppose I'll go ahead and grab another one here shortly, but I'm adding a 2x4 closet system here in a few months so at least I'll be able to use the 4" easily

I appreciate the information. I would be beyond ecstatic for anything close to 750 lol. I was guesstimating in the 500g range off of what I've seen but I'm still learning so it's good to see the potential could be more in the ideal scenario

Thanks again everyone! I'll be going into much more detail on the grow journal :)

Thank you for the advice @MissUniverse ! This will be my first go around with a light set up like this. I have a very basic indoor vegetable garden with several t5 setups and mostly do herbs, seed starts and lettuce during the summer months for my indoors.

I'm still doing some reading but for now it seems a good starting point for light distance is 45-50" above soil level for veg and 25-30" above canopy for flower, does this sound pretty accurate? I know I'll have to make adjustments as I go. I'll have dimming capabilities as well so not sure how I will incorporate that into the mix

I'll be amending with insect frass, xtreme mykos/azos, ans down to earth brand - kelp meal, vegan mix, bat guano. I am throwing around the idea of adding some compost and vermicompost. My weekly tea feedings are either a mixture of all of these or the boogie brew mix, aerated for 24-36 hours

Thank you :) I actually have some NL and a few crosses on the way from Canuk now!

Thank you! I was actually worried about my exhaust system being borderline too small. I had initially planned on a 3x3 tent and went with a 4x4 last minute. I suppose I'll go ahead and grab another one here shortly, but I'm adding a 2x4 closet system here in a few months so at least I'll be able to use the 4" easily

I appreciate the information. I would be beyond ecstatic for anything close to 750 lol. I was guesstimating in the 500g range off of what I've seen but I'm still learning so it's good to see the potential could be more in the ideal scenario

Thanks again everyone! I'll be going into much more detail on the grow journal :)
I use my 6" fan and filter in the drying room when visitors that are not aware of my grow come over. My plants only hang in there for 5 days but inevitably some one drops by - Why is that?

Back