Harvest & Curing Freeze Before Normal Drying?

Drownomatic

Retired
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Panama
I've been wondering if anyone has tried freezing fresh cut bud before drying it?

Wouldn't this rupture every cell wall, and effect drying, curing, and possibly even smoking it.

I'm also wondering if the cold would somehow harden the resin in bud, and lock in trichromes during the dry.

If what you are considering, simple freezing, actually worked well (vs. conventional drying and curing), we'd all know about this already. But go ahead and experiment.

Overall, freezing and inevitable thawing will as cited disrupt cell walls and tissue structures, and can degrade the texture/structure/appearance of the buds, most likely not for the better.

Check with others, but I see no upsides to freezing fresh harvested buds if freezing is not needed, such as for longer term storage, freezing buds to retain freshness for rosin pressing or making other "fresh' concentrates, etc.

I've been wondering if anyone has tried freezing fresh cut bud before drying it?

Wouldn't this rupture every cell wall, and effect drying, curing, and possibly even smoking it.

I'm also wondering if the cold would somehow harden the resin in bud, and lock in trichromes during the dry.
I have frozen weed after a partial dry rather than let it get too dry while I was away from home, and it didn't seem to do much if any damage. I freeze all of it for long term storage once dried and cured and it keeps well for at least a year or two that way. OTOH, I do not claim to be a connoiseur, I pretty much just use it for sleep and the odd mood lift. Others here are better when it comes to the gourmet details, most of them likely go by me with a loud whooshing sound. :pighug:

Bottom line, I would freeze it if necessary to avoid letting it get too dry, but not otherwise until it is dried and cured. Main thing is once frozen, do not disturb until thawed. If you freeze it, freeze in glass jars so that you can remove and let thaw without disturbing the weed while it is frozen. Also, never open the jar until at room temperature or condensation may add water to your bud.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you make out.

Back