Garlic and Onion as Antibacterial Treatment

Dazed

Confucius
Reaction score
What a great section of AFN, exactly why I love this site.

So I suffer mildy with ear infections in my right ear. Stress, anxiety and general low mood is usually the trigger I've found. Now I rely heavily on my ears for my job, and an ear infection can lose me work.
Tired of going backwards and forwards to the doctors for ear drops, I decided to try out a natural method I had been reading about and was recommended to me by a colleague.

images.jpg

There is something in the make up of garlic and onion that is reported to have fantastic antibacterial qualities to it. I don't know the exact science and am still reading and learning as I go.

I chopped up a red onion into thin slices and grated two large cloves of garlic. I added this to 20ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and put into my slo cooker for 48hrs, stiring it up occasionally. The heat of my slo cooker is very low, it's an old 1970's cooker and really puts the 'slow' in slo cooker.

Once the oil had cooled, I put two drops into my ear and lay with my head on its side for an hour. I could literally feel it working the moment it went in there. After an hour, I rinsed it out with warm water (not hot water-bad for your ear canal/drum). I then applied another two drops before bed and plugged it up with some cottonwool.

I was astounded the next morning, although the infection had not completely gone, it was 80% better and after repeating for two nights after that, the infection had gone!
No more pain, I could hear clearly and best of all it's completely natural and pretty much free.

DISCLAIMER: This was just a first try but it definitely worked for me. I'm sure I can improve it and trial and error will surely reveal improvements to be made.
Please if you try this on your ears, remember to let the oil cool down first, last thing you want is ANY type of hot liquid going into your ears. And another thing-it smells pretty strong, so you probably wouldn't want put it in during the day, unless you have nowhere to go!

I'd be interested to see if it could help with other infections such as throat infections, cuts that kind of thing.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys :)

Dazed..

My dog has recurring external ear infections. I wonder if this would help him at all....

My dog has recurring external ear infections. I wonder if this would help him at all....

It's worth a try Treeman, with a dog though I would maybe put the oil onto a cloth and lightly apply it that way to start, see how he/she reacts. The good thing about garlic/onion is that it is completely natural. :)

Had an old Greek lady crush garlic and oil and put it in my ear for an infection after three go arounds with anti biotics and it cleared up and didn't come back

:fourword:Thanks for sharing, Dazed!

Back