New Grower Getting back into the swing of things

Druid

Wiley Forest-dweller
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mango | White Widow
Heya,

I've been out of the game for a few years but want to rekindle an old flame. Tbh I've missed growing quite a bit. When I put that hobby aside a small part of me went into hybernation with it and it's time to see if we can bring it back to life.

This time my aim is not to experiment or whatever but just to have some fun growing an old friend I haven't visited in years.

The gear I'll be using going forward is:
  • Space: Homebox Vista 24 x 24 x 47" / 60 x 60 x 120cm
  • Light: 2 x SanLight Q1w - 100w total
  • Air: PrimaKlima 100 TC
  • Filter: CanLite 300
  • Pots: 2 gallon / 7ish Liter plastic pots with a few holes
  • Medium: Cana Coco natural
  • Nutes: Canna Coco A&B
For the genetics I'm not sure yet.. I want to see if one of my old beans from 6 years ago still sprouts and grows but so far it doesn't look too promising. If one of them does come alive tho.. we'll call it Igor, that's for sure!

pew pew pew :biggrin:

Glad to see you getting back in the saddle :thumbsup:,,,i a miserable sod when i haven't a plant to look after, so i get ya :toke:

You didn't miss anything last year, seeds were hard to come by with the Covid going on.
Welcome back.
Oh yeah with stores closed and whatnot, good thing it's getting better now :)

Glad to see you getting back in the saddle :thumbsup:,,,i a miserable sod when i haven't a plant to look after, so i get ya :toke:
Yeah I dunno what it is but I'm just not myself without that in my life.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

I just checked again and the 9 Moby Dicks I dropped mid week have not shown a single sign of life, guess those were not meant to be. So I put 2 Jack Herer and a NL into some plugs and now I'm waiting. The RQS packaging of seeds actually gives me hope that the NL seed still may have some life in it. *fingers crossed*

pew pew pew :biggrin:

Some folks say to add a drop of hydrogen peroxide (H202) to help older seeds germinate. And maybe scuff the outer coating with a fine sandpaper or nail file.
But 6 years is a long time. What kind of storage did they have?

Reactions: UHF
Some folks say to add a drop of hydrogen peroxide (H202) to help older seeds germinate. And maybe scuff the outer coating with a fine sandpaper or nail file.
But 6 years is a long time. What kind of storage did they have?
They were lying in a zip baggie in top of my fridge :D I had thousands of the Moby Dick so didn't really care. I'm sure I can play the numbers and just drop a handful in a glass of water. 10% should still be viable after 6 years. The problem is I tried that last year and oooh boy the plants that grew from those were not pretty. They grew like 10 inches and were shadows of what their earlier sisters were.

These other ones were in commercial packaging tho, in my relatively cool hallway so they might have a bigger chance.

:pop: ppp

Well I've got good news and bad news: The good news is I'll be using a single Sanlight Evo 3-60 instead, the bad news is that these three also didn't pop.

So I'll be making another attempt to germinate some of my old genetics. This time I'll be using Dinafem's Moby Dick auto, a Moby Dick Baby Boom F1. So far I've just chucked them straight into jiffy plugs and put them in a sort of warm place but now I'll do it properly: Put them in water for 24h, have that water stood on top of a little heating mat, then if they pop put them in plugs and keep warming their little feet.

This is all so much more involved when you have a single tiny tent in a semi warm room. Might also be the 6 year old beans that're now beens but I guess we'll see.

If that doesn't work I'll have to get something new. But hey, gives me time to tinker with my setup and that's half the fun.

edit: okay, just drowned 33 Moby Dicks, if that doesn't at least give me one I'll make seed soup and drop an entire bag in.

Last edited:
Okay, I should wait until i got pics or something but i'm just too excited. Three already popped open and are dangling their tails in the water for a little swim :woohoo:

Moby Dick baby!

Now I got a different problem tho: I've got a tiny tent, do I grow one big one or three small ones? And do I put them each in a pot or all in one giant one? Never done a sea of green, I imagine it'd be tedious to water..

Back