DIY GFCI outlet - please use one!

Reaction score
Howdy folks. This may already be the norm for most but I wanted to make a post. Please install a GFCI outlet with a safety on the wall or wherever you are getting your power from.

I have a few light bulbs I took the dome off (picture below) that I use for some supplemental spot lighting in my tent. Some of them have two prongs sticking out of the board for who knows what reason. While adjusting the bulb it made contact with a metal surface and tripped the safety on the GFCI.

I imagine if I didn't have this protection some of my equipment might be toast. Also, since we are dealing with water and humidity in this electrified environment, there is always an increased chance of something going wrong.

By the way, I have no electricity running across the tent floor, that's also a big no-no due to possible water pooling.

Cheers and happy growing !
Karl
ca08ae87864d1aea20f8f14acb6be583.jpg
a185a2b485a8d3e49b9f75964b64ed1a.jpg

The bulb you use is not manufactured for that use, with the diffuser/dome removed and in a humid environment.
The two prongs are the + and - going from the driver to the PCB.
It looks like this when the PCB is removed.
UaFZwaz.jpg

A lot of light gets stuck in the protective dome though, so I absolutely understand your desire to remove it. I also experiment with these bulbs a lot, myself.

It is unfortunate that the connectors are made this way. If you still want the lamps' dome to be removed but also want to make it safer, you could look into sealing the two prongs by coating them with silicone or epoxy. Although I do recommend doing the homework before you choose to do so and thoroughly look into what specific material and type that is suited for this situation.

"Howdy folks. This may already be the norm for most but I wanted to make a post."
Great post, Karl! Let's make all our photons count while still being smart.
I just wanted to fill in on the subject, possibly helping someone out there, so this information was not necessarily aimed towards you.
Happy farming! =)

I have gotten rid of this type of bulb as I have several others with a better, more suited, design. But the need for the GFCI is real and anyone that doesn't have one should rethink their priorities :)

What other safety measures do people recommend we have in place? Surely keeping the cables off the tent floor. What else. ?

Make sure your breakers are sized correctly and know how many amps you are pulling. I would suggest a dedicated circuit for just the grow room if you can do it.

Back