Grove bags vs Mason jars

_~JAB~_

Qualified Live Stoner
Reaction score
What are some of your personal opinions on grove bags vs Mason jars for curing? And why?

They both work comparably well. The bags are passive, take care of themselves, and are more fool-proof and fail-safe vs. jars that need to be monitored, burped or aired occasionally, etc. The Grove bags can be used with non-fully dried material, unlike material put in jars. I have always avoided using jars or other containers that are fully sealed/air tight.

And keep in mind many other containers can be used besides jars or Grove bags, such as very common use of paper bags, closed but not sealed boxes (I often dry in free US Postal Service boxes), etc.

Last edited:
They both work comparably well. The bags are passive, take care of themselves, and more fool-proof and fail-safe vs. jars that need to be monitored, burped or aired occasionally, etc.

And keep in mind many other not-totally-sealed containers can be used besides jars, such as very common use of paper bags, boxes (I often dry in free US postal service boxes), etc.
So paper/plastic doesn't affect holding humidity where it needs to be? Or allow the terpenes to degrade? I always thought they did that's why I stuck with Mason jars. Lol they were easy to get until now the thrift store closed down on me. Quarter a piece now they are like 3 4 bucks at Walmart!

I suggest just pick a method known to work well (a variety available), that fits your situation and preferences, and stick with it.

The plants don't know or care what they are fully or partially sealed in with some air/water vapor exchange allowed constantly or eventually. It's a matter of controlling the 'relative humidity' of the plant matter and allowing off-gassing of volatile organics from the curing process that matter most during curing. There are many established ways of doing that - including manually monitoring and burping jars, using brown bags, sealing in the partially water vapor permeable Grove bags....etc. Even plastic bags will do the job if well-monitored.

Yes, there likely can be small differences in curing, such as perhaps(?) loss or retention of some terpenes and cellular breakdown products, depending on relative rates of drying and off-gassing, temperature and other variables.

I suggest just pick a method known to work well (a variety available), that fits your situation and preferences, and stick with it.

The plants don't know or care what they are fully or partially sealed in with some air/water vapor exchange allowed constantly or eventually. It's a matter of controlling the 'relative humidity' of the plant matter and allowing off-gassing of volatile organics from the curing process that matter most during curing. There are many established ways of doing that - including manually monitoring and burping jars, using brown bags, sealing in the partially water vapor permeable Grove bags....etc. Even plastic bags will do the job if well-monitored.

Yes, there likely can be small differences in curing, such as perhaps(?) loss or retention of some terpenes and cellular breakdown products, depending on relative rates of drying and off-gassing, temperature and other variables.
Appreciate it! I think I'll stick to Mason jars since I am familiar with them. Plus grove bags are $20 shipping which is absolutely ridiculous.

If not already, get some super-cheap digital hygrometers, often combined with a /thermometer in a single device (readily available from sources such as Ebay and temu.com). Put these in whatever container, bag, etc. you end up using to monitor the rH.

If not already, get some super-cheap digital hygrometers, often combined with a /thermometer in a single device (readily available from sources such as Ebay and temu.com). Put these in whatever container, bag, etc. you end up using to monitor the rH.
I literally just ordered some 2 min ago on Amazon 😁 I get the wide mouthed Mason jars then cut and mount the hygrometers into the lid. Works a charm!

Do you use humidity packs as well?

Do you use humidity packs as well?
There are Boveda and other pack-type products you put in your container to attain and maintain a desired relative humidity level for curing and/or storage. Like Grove bags, these are also very viable and common controlled humidity-based curing options.

I used jars for many years. Usualy worked great, but I have had a couple of infected jars.

Last year I tried Grove Bags for the first time and I won't turn back. No burping, a good cure, and long term storage. As cheap as a moisture pack but doesn't dry out or bloat like Boveda can.

Thee are lots of opinions but to me the humidity packs affect the smell and flavor, long term. So far my Grove stashes have stayed fresh and terpy.

Sometimes they will send a sample, but the 1oz bags are only a couple bucks. Why not use your usual jars, try a grove bag, and compare for yourself?

I should mention that I still use a big 67gr 58% boveda to stabilize the environment inside the larger box that contains the bags.

Back