Guano/EWC tea how-to

I am a TLO guy myself..I can go a whole grow on a just add water soil recipe, but every now and then I brew a tea to give the micro beasties a boost and prevent them from becoming sluggish and the ladies really love it...I use a paint strainer bag instead of nylons,they have bigger holes and allow more good stuff to escape the sock...I find if I don't use something to suspend all the goodies,whatever ends up in the bottom not being agitated becomes anaerobic and teas can end up smelling like a sewer pretty fast, although this also depends on what ingredients your are using in your teas...giving your tea a good stir 2-3 times a day is also a good measure to take.

I suddenly got the urge to brew a tea, off to the lab I go.

I confess to watching my tea brew. This morning the brew looks like a bucket of stout. Nice thick head.

I use TLO for photo's but I'm still figuring out a good mix and layering techniques for autos. The first time I used a photo mix on autos it cooked em.

I use my mix for both photos and autos and luckily I haven't had any real problems....although,the ladies have been a bit neglected this run and I have have a few different auto critical strains that have been suffering from calmag issues and haven't been able to work it out..other than that, TLO has been really good to me.

Id like to learn about TLO what all do you guys use for your mixes?

I really eyeball my soil mixing so I'd have to sit down and make a batch while measuring what I'm putting in. I have to make some more here soon to start cooking for my next run, so I'll try and throw up a half assed tutorial about it some time this week. I don't consider this my thread, I want everyone to post info about their teas and TLO style. IMHO organics are just the way to go.

Id like to learn about TLO what all do you guys use for your mixes?

I used this mix for 4 consecutive grows with no amending..only the occasional tea and some molasses every so often.
I have recently amended the mix and have had good results...I'll have to search around and find my notes as to what I used in the re-amending...re-amending really depends on what your plants look like prior to harvest and what you think might be lacking in the mix.
Here's the mix copied and pasted from another thread.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
There's plenty of good mixes out there..LC's mix,sub's super soil,vic high's mix and the rev's..as well as others..
to be honest...I kinda winged it and got lucky..

Disclaimer:Here's my mix but use it at your own risk I am not liable for any damages you may incur and may become subject to or any unsatisfactory results you may be pissed off with.
DO NOT START SEEDS IN THIS MIX.

50 gal base

3 cu. ft coco
1 bag mushroom compost
20 gal recycled soil.

total of 50 gal base.

14-15 cups oyster shell
1kg or 7 cups kelp meal
6 cups prilled lime
3 cups alfalfa meal
4 cups blood meal
4 cups bone meal
4 cups rose and flower 5-3-8
3 cups dolomite powder
4.5 cups rock phosephate
3 cups soft rock phosephate
4.5 cups flower power 4-10-4
2 cups DE
6 cups greensand

after cooking for awhile I still had a high ph of 8.0 so I tried to lower it by adding..

7 gallons peat {nature mix brand}
+1 cup alfalfa
2cups high N guano
2 cups vegano 3-3-3 all purpose
which proved to have no effect.

I will mention that I thought I might have used to much dolomite in the mix but it seems to have worked out fine so far,the micro beasties keep the balance.

you must use chlorine and chloramine free water..I alternated each watering between distilled and bubble tap water.

I still need to buy an RO unit or a good water filter.

If I can think of anything else I might have forgot I'll post it.

If i mix those ingredients for the tea in a gallon water jug and shake it for a while will it do the same thing? Or do i need an airstone?

Mr. Piggy - Thanks a million for the information. I've been wondering about nutrients to use because the plant is growing and flowering at the same time. Is your formula used throughout the plants life cycle? Or, are you doing different nute tweaks at the different stages of growth?

Thanks Again

@ rideWA for what is being described you do need an airstone, that is an active compost tea. I have heard of anaerobic teas, usually if you are using raw kelp from the sea and it sits for 3+weeks. I have a friend who will put Dr. Earth fertalizer in a bucket and lets it sit over a night or two and he says it works great. Without the airstone you run the risk of bad bacteria/fungus/etc taking over. With teas I go with my nose if it smells earthy and nice it's good to go. If it's got the stank it goes to the compost gods.

Back