Hand Watered Ebb and Flow Res Temp Control

OttoCBD

Unmundane in the Membrane
Reaction score
After this current run with the waterfarm, temperatures are going to be too high for me to want to run a chiller so I'm thinking about shifting gears and growing in a one gallon, hand-watered ebb and flow container which is actually an old fish tank that I've used to grow tomatoes and celery. Since I can keep the jug with the nutes in a coleman cooler (with an airstone bubbling in it) ..there should be no issues with res temps, correct? I realize that I'll have to water it several times a day and I have no problem with that. I just want to challenge myself to see what I can get out of a one gallon hydro set up. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or experience doing something similar, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks!

tomato ebb and flow.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds good but I think that eventually it will get warmer possibly too warm for the root structure. You still might need to chill it but that's easy enough to do just take a gallon jug of water and freeze it and stick it in your cooler tank and it should you know cool the water down to the proper temperature. You may have to figure out what size ice jug to use in order to keep your water at the right temperature. Such as a half a gallon jug or a quart jug . But a little trial and error will bring you around to the right amount of ice to use to correct your warmth problem. Just keep it temperature gauge floating around in there such as a an aquarium thermometer would work great.
Just an idea from the DIY section. LOL
take care my friend
Happy growing.
from
Growtogrow

Sounds good but I think that eventually it will get warmer possibly too warm for the root structure. You still might need to chill it but that's easy enough to do just take a gallon jug of water and freeze it and stick it in your cooler tank and it should you know cool the water down to the proper temperature. You may have to figure out what size ice jug to use in order to keep your water at the right temperature. Such as a half a gallon jug or a quart jug . But a little trial and error will bring you around to the right amount of ice to use to correct your warmth problem. Just keep it temperature gauge floating around in there such as a an aquarium thermometer would work great.
Just an idea from the DIY section. LOL
take care my friend
Happy growing.
from
Growtogrow
Thanks for the suggestions!

After this current run with the waterfarm, temperatures are going to be too high for me to want to run a chiller so I'm thinking about shifting gears and growing in a one gallon, hand-watered ebb and flow container which is actually an old fish tank that I've used to grow tomatoes and celery. Since I can keep the jug with the nutes in a coleman cooler (with an airstone bubbling in it) ..there should be no issues with res temps, correct? I realize that I'll have to water it several times a day and I have no problem with that. I just want to challenge myself to see what I can get out of a one gallon hydro set up. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or experience doing something similar, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks!

View attachment 1159914

Will you be in hydroton for your ebb and flow? Using a cold bottle of water is a great solution but lacks precision that could contribute to problems later.

Will you be in hydroton for your ebb and flow? Using a cold bottle of water is a great solution but lacks precision that could contribute to problems later.
Yes, hydroton will be used. I think that if the res/jug sits in a large enough cooler with just the right size bottle of ice (most likely one of these freez paks) ..and that jug gets taken out of the cooler for watering several times a day, it'd never get too cold. If it did, I could always take it out of the cooler and let warm it up a little.

Yes, hydroton will be used. I think that if the res/jug sits in a large enough cooler with just the right size bottle of ice (most likely one of these freez paks) ..and that jug gets taken out of the cooler for watering several times a day, it'd never get too cold. If it did, I could always take it out of the cooler and let warm it up a little.

I think it's a good plan. Good luck!

Thanks! I forgot to add the image of ye olde 'freez pak'.
freezpak.jpg

Back