Grow Mediums Using an Autopot aquavalve for a tray of small containers of coco (SOG)?

Follow-up, after trying it
Follow-up: I tried using an aquavalve to flood a 2x2' tray with 7 plants in flower, each in a 1/2 liter plastic cup with coco and hydroton. My tray was filled with hydroton to take up space -- 2'x2'x1" is about 2.5 gallons, but with the hydroton a flood cycle took a bit less than a gallon.

I tried using it twice, for a run of a couple days each. Both times the tray never really fully dried out, and in between the reservoir level kept slowly decreasing. (diagram: red lines are from flood cycles, cyan from when it should have fully stopped flow.) The first time I figured that I hadn't set the aquavalve up correctly, the second time I moved it to the front of my tent to watch it closely, made sure it was level, the silicone plugs were seated properly, etc., but the same thing happened. I wonder if slower water flow through the pot sock was part of it, adding smaller and more frequent flood cycles where the space inside the pot sock dried out before the tray, flooded enough to refill it, and then that spread to throughout the tray and kept it from drying out fully?

I decided that it wasn't a good fit for my setup. The hydroton is necessary to avoid flooding a massive amount all at once, but also massively interferes with moving the plants around at all -- if they are even slightly shifted, hydroton tends to roll underneath the pots, and getting the plant standing up straight again can be a pain. I tend to move them around for training, to even out the canopy, inspect the plants, etc., so that's probably a dealbreaker. I could see the aquavalve working really well in a dedicated base with a lower volume though, particularly if the plants' pots were in a sediment / root barrier rather than the aquavalve itself.

Dang, it is working great for me in a 4x4 but i had to control the valve in the beginning as 4 containers are not going to be able to drink all that water up in early veg, i just flooded it once a week until flower and then turned on the valve and let them grow.

20221109_101336.jpg

Have you looked at the aquabox? It uses a capilary mat and says you can set fabric pots on top of them. I am unsure how well it works. Just happened to run across it looking at autopots.

I haven't (just now did), but I think I'd rather avoid buying more stuff to work around the aquavalve not quite fitting what I'm trying to do. The sunk cost was worth the experiment. If at some point I run a single larger plant in a 1 gallon airpot in a smaller tray, the aquavalve should still be great for that.

My aquavalve fed (4) 5 gallon pots in a 4x4 and i got almost a lb from them just as a test, i now know i can stuff the 4x4 tent with 4 more pots and maybe get 2 lbs in 60 days.

having the middle cage plant stopped me from fully testing this project but i learned enough from it to know this is the most easy hands off grow i could do with multi pots in 1 setup.

here are the plants i grew out in the aquavalve kiddie pool
20221129_110045.jpg

after removing them
20221129_115750.jpg

before removing
20221125_182135.jpg
20221123_074924.jpg

cheers, i hope this helps anyone wanting to dig into bottom feeding or autopot's aquavalve, they work amazing well just remember to have a res big enough for your grow or you will be filling it up often lol

My aquavalve fed (4) 5 gallon pots in a 4x4 and i got almost a lb from them just as a test, i now know i can stuff the 4x4 tent with 4 more pots and maybe get 2 lbs in 60 days.

having the middle cage plant stopped me from fully testing this project but i learned enough from it to know this is the most easy hands off grow i could do with multi pots in 1 setup.

here are the plants i grew out in the aquavalve kiddie pool
[...]

cheers, i hope this helps anyone wanting to dig into bottom feeding or autopot's aquavalve, they work amazing well just remember to have a res big enough for your grow or you will be filling it up often lol
Were the fabric pots sitting on the bottom of the pool or on top of the hydroton? Part of the reason I didn't like that setup was because with my small plastic pots, any hydroton getting under them kept them from standing up straight. With much larger fabric (soft) pots that wouldn't be a problem, instead it could even help elevate the bottoms out of the water, so they could dry a tiny bit.

Also, did yours cleanly stop in between flood cycles, or was there a second slow, steady leak of smaller waterings?

Back