Hollow stems, good, bad?

The inner core of the stem is called pith. The primary function of pith is to transport nutrients throughout the plant and then store the nutrients within its cells.

Pith autolysis is when the storage pith of the stem is autolyzed (meaning it destroys itself) by enzymes in the plant that degrades cell walls, leaving a hollow stem. From my understanding, this happens when the plant is starving for carbon, which the pith is basically a core of. So if it's lacking the "juice" from what's provided to perform certain functions of photosynthesis, it takes what it needs from the pith core.

I would think hollow stems is perhaps a tell that your nutrient regiment isn't providing enough to the plant (in my humble opinion.) @Mañ'O'Green @Waira any input on this?

The inner core of the stem is called pith. The primary function of pith is to transport nutrients throughout the plant and then store the nutrients within its cells.

Pith autolysis is when the storage pith of the stem is autolyzed (meaning it destroys itself) by enzymes in the plant that degrades cell walls, leaving a hollow stem. From my understanding, this happens when the plant is starving for carbon, which the pith is basically a core of. So if it's lacking the "juice" from what's provided to perform certain functions of photosynthesis, it takes what it needs from the pith core.

I would think hollow stems is perhaps a tell that your nutrient regiment isn't providing enough to the plant (in my humble opinion.) @Mañ'O'Green @Waira any input on this?
It is just mostly a genetic trait. It is believed that hollow stem plants have higher THC production so this trait shows up a lot because of selecting for it. The xylem where water/mineral transportation takes place would be just inside the wall of the hollow core. There can be virus activity that can cause this but that is rare compared to the genetic selection.

You know, I have yet to see any scientifically solid explanation for what this is really about. I too see all the speculations, cross comparisons to other plants (outright incorrect or apples-to-oranges), and such...
Xylem is mostly dead hollow cells, pipes of sorts that transport water and dissolved nutrients. Phloem is alive, and moves sugars/starches, hormones, etc., and must be passed cell to cell by active transport mainly...
In annuals, xylem usually isn't structural vs. say, trees, where the xylem is rather heavily structural!... So it begs the question that if physical stress plays any role in this? I think not, since I grow OD's in plenty of wind, and my main stems are always some degree of hollow... Thinner branches tend to be filled in fully with pith, but thicker ones often show some hollowing as well.
I have doubts about the nutrition angle, particularly Boron, since I am regular micronute dosing fiend along with using well enriched soil.
I have some faith in the plant herself, and millions of years of evolutionary fine tuning- :smokeit:-- if she needs to build more conductive tissues because of demands, she will... If what's there is servicing without detriment, the plant won't expend resources pointlessly...

Honestly, I haven't seen any notable difference between them. I've been running organic nutes only for a few years now, and haven't noticed any differences. I chop my plants to bits too when done, so I get to see a good representation of such things!

Some strains I have grown are hollow stemmed, some not. The internet is massively conflicting on this subject, as to whether this is a good thing, or a bad thing.. What say you AFN?
From my studys that hollow stems means that the nutrients sre not running up the plant as smoothly as usally and there can be issues in the long run but other than that i havw notice them to be able to drink eater faster when they have hollow stems

Could the age be a factor? I have noticed hollow stems on far more plants that are ready to harvest than when there is several weeks to go...could the lack of thirst come harvest time be a symptom of the stems pith degrading, preparing to die?

Could the age be a factor? I have noticed hollow stems on far more plants that are ready to harvest than when there is several weeks to go...could the lack of thirst come harvest time be a symptom of the stems pith degrading, preparing to die?
Hollow stem is likely caused by a combination of environmental factors and crop susceptibility. In general, larger, faster growing cultivars are more susceptible to this disorder. Wide plant spacing and high nitrogen or potassium levels have been shown to increase incidence of hollow stem.
As most indoor growers know, cannabis can contain very hollowed out stems when its cut down. A lot of growers will say its healthy, it creates more THC or it even helps with water transfer and I am here today to bring you some science to debunk that shit.

First off, the spongy centre of the plant stalk is called the Pith. This is akin to body fat in the sense it stores things for the plant to retrieve at a later date. The biggest thing it stores is Carbon. I think you can see where this is going now.

A hollowed out stem is the result from the plant undergoing Pith Autolysis to retrieve more carbon for photosynthesis in times it needs it. You can safely view a hollowed out stem as a pseudo Carbon deficiency and that there were times in the plants life cycle it needed more carbon.

Here is a more, in depth article from the oxford journals.

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/75/6/587

Things to note from the Journal: 1. The study wasnt conducted on cannabis but tomatoes. These plants thrive in very similar conditions so one can assume the science of the Pith applies here. 2. The study was done in 1995. However, because of the discrimination of cannabis illegally and how hard is to get non-anecdotal, unbiased scientifically backed evidence I feel this information is still up to date and relevant

Back