Website
everessencekd.com
Currently Smoking
My Genius Pipe!
http://www.livestrong.com/article/266247-benefits-of-local-raw-honey/
Benefits of Local Raw Honey

Last Updated: Aug 16, 2013 | By Danielle O'Connell
photos.demandstudios.com%2F227%2F173%2Ffotolia_9673181_XS.jpg

Raw, locally-made honey is unprocessed, unpasteurized and contains naturally occurring pollen and enzymes. Photo Credit natural honey texture without honey (abstract background) image by jonnysek from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>Honey is much more than just a sweetener. It has been used for centuries for healing and rejuvenation. Most of the honey sold in stores has been heated and pasturized. This processing destroys many of the enzymes and beneficial compounds that make raw honey so nutritious. Regular honey often looks clear and syrupy. Raw honey has not been treated with heat; it is often more buttery, solid and opaque than pasteurized honey and often contains "cappings," or small pieces of beeswax. It is completely left in its natural state and therefore contains pollen, enzymes, antioxidants and many other beneficial compounds that researchers are just beginning to learn about. Be sure not to give any honey, either raw or treated, to a child under the age of 12 months.
Allergy Protection

Some research supports the theory that local honey-- obtained as close as possible to where you live--may help build an immunity to some seasonal allergies. There is not much research to support this idea, yet many people claim that using honey in this way provides allergy relief. Allergies are triggered by continuous exposure to the same allergen over time. Even if a particular plant is not allergenic initally, it can potentially become very allergenic if you spend much time in the same environment as the plant. Honey made by bees in the vicinity of the allergenic plant will contain tiny amounts of pollen from that plant. This honey will act as a sort of vaccine if taken in small amounts--a few teaspoons per day--for several months, and can provide relief from seasonal pollen-related allergies.

Note, however, that MedlinePlus, a service of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, warns against the consumption of raw honey because, like other raw foods, it may be a potential source of food poisoning.

Antioxidants and Phytonutrients

Honey is also rich in powerful antioxidants and cancer-fighting phytonutrients, which can be found in the propolis, or "honey glue" that the bees use to sterilize the beehive. Raw honey contains some of these compounds while pasteurized honey does not.

Digestive Aid

In its natural, raw state, honey contains many enzymes that can help some people digest food more easily so it may also help treat ulcers and diarrhea.

Vitamins and Minerals

The nutrient content of raw honey varies, but a 1-ounce serving contains very small amounts of folate as well as vitamins B2, C, B6, B5 and B3. Minerals including calcium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, sodium and zinc can also be found in raw honey in small amounts.

Topical Salve

Honey can be used as medicine. It has anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties. For this reason it can be applied topically to treat burns, as researchers at the University of Auckland in New Zealand describe in a 2008 study.

Cough Suppressant

Honey has also been found to be especially useful in treating upper respiratory infections. A study at Penn State College of Medicine in 2007 found that a small dose of buckwheat honey was more effective than an over-the-counter cough treatment for children.

Ever since i was a little kid we always bought out honey from locals. Now i have to find it at the Flea market or sometimes their on the side of the road selling.

Great read Root

Thanks weedman!

When I was growing up we had bees and sold honey...One dollar a quart!!! I wish I could find it for that now.

Needless to say, we ate a lot of honey. I'm trying to wrestle my Mother's favorite Honey Recipe book away from her.

:Medibles:

Honey and Cinnamon Remedy​

honey-and-cinnamon.jpg
The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used for centuries in both traditional Chinese and Ayurveda, a system of healing founded 5000 years ago in India. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy
. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey's popularity has continued throughout history. Cinnamon's essential oils and
honey's enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide
qualify the two "anti-microbial" foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. Both are used not just as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent and are used as alternatives to traditional food preservatives due to their effective antimicrobial properties.
Also, it is worth mentioning that in Ayurvedic medicine, honey is known as 'Yogavahi', which means "the carrier of the healing values of the herbs to the cells and tissues". It is believed that when combined with another substance (eg a herb or spice) in a formulation, the special quality of honey enhances the medicinal qualities of that formulation and helps them reach the deeper tissues in the body more effectively. And honey and cinnamon, which is one of the best-known mixtures, has been reported to be a natural cure for many diseases and a formula for many health benefits:

ir
1) HEART DISEASES: Apply honey and cinnamon powder on bread instead of using jam or butter and eat it regularly for breakfast. It is believed that in the long run, this can help prevent blockages in blood vessels, heart attacks and hypercholesterolemia.
2) ARTHRITIS: Apply a paste made of the two ingredients on the affected part of the body and massage slowly. Drinking tea with honey and cinnamon daily can also help relieve pain and stiffness in the joints.
3) HAIR LOSS: Apply a paste of hot olive oil, a tablespoon of honey, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder before bath, leave it for 15 min and wash.
4) BLADDER INFECTIONS: Mix cinnamon powder and honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink. This can help destroy the bacteria in the urinary system.
5) TOOTHACHE: Apply a paste of cinnamon powder and honey and on the aching tooth.
6) CHOLESTEROL: Add honey to cinnamon powder mixed in boiled water or green tea and drink.
7) COLDS: Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder to help boost your immune system during the cold season. It is also helpful in clearing the sinuses.
8) INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on a spoonful of honey taken before food relieves acidity and prevents indigestion.
9) LONGEVITY: Regularly take tea made with honey and a little cinnamon powder to strengthen your immune system and protect your body from viral and bacterial attacks.
10) PIMPLES: Mix honey with cinnamon powder and apply paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash away the next morning.
11) OBESITY: To reduce weight, daily drink a mixture of a teaspoon of honey with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder boiled in water with an empty stomach in the morning about half an hour before breakfast. Step-by-step instructions in: Cinnamon and Honey Recipe.
Cinnamon has an insulin boosting property (water soluble compounds called polyphenol type A polymers) which have the ability to boost insulin activity about 20 fold and can benefit
people who have high sugar levels
(obese people, pre-diabetics and diabetics). Also, read the honey hibernation diet theory
to find out how honey contributes to the metabolizing
of undesirable cholesterol and fatty acid, provides a fuelling mechanism for the body, keep blood sugar levels balanced, and let our recovery hormones get on with burning body fat stores.
12) BAD BREATH: Gargle with honey and cinnamon powder mixed in warm water so that breath stays fresh throughout the day.
Honey plus cinnamon together besides being a amazing potential cure for so many illnesses, their total fragrant, sweet and warm taste is also a perfect match for the palate. The combination adds a magic effect to the taste of cakes, breads, biscuits and rolls and is known to make many winning recipes in the world of delicious food, such as the famous, easy-to-make, kids' favourite classic - honey and cinnamon butter toast!

Step-by-Step Honey and Cinnamon Weight Loss Recipe

This recipe speeds up body metabolism. Best to take it first thing in the morning. (Avoid taking cinnamon before bedtime as some have complained about restless sleep.) More in: Cinnamon and Honey Recipe.
Are You Eating the Real Cinnamon?

If you don't know what real or fake cinnamon sticks are, read more in: Ceylon Cinnamon Versus Cassia Cinnamon.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/271470-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-ginger-and-honey-drink/

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, Ginger and Honey Drink

Last Updated: Aug 16, 2013 | By Brigid Rauch
photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Farticle%2F178%2F85%2F89793008_XS.jpg

The sweet taste of honey may help stimulate the release of digestive fluids. Photo CreditJupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty ImagesBy drinking a mixture of apple cider vinegar, ginger and honey, you benefit from the properties of all three ingredients. According to holistic medicine traditions, including traditional Chinese medicine, modern herbalism and ayurveda, all three ingredients are powerful medicinal substances and may contribute to overall health and well-being if taken regularly. No conclusive clinical evidence, however, supports the medicinal benefits of a vinegar, ginger and honey drink. Avoid large doses of ginger if you are pregnant or taking blood thinners, and consult your doctor before using any supplements.

Anti-infection

According to the website DoctorYourself, apple cider vinegar has special infection-fighting properties and may support a healthy immune system. The oleoresins of ginger show up as ingredients in many cold and flu remedies, states the Mayo Clinic. Despite the lack of clinical evidence to support the use of ginger, the ginger root has a long tradition as a remedy for systemic and local infections, according to "The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants." According to the book "The Honey Prescription," by Nathaniel Altman, honey's enzymes make hydrogen peroxide, which may fight infections both internally and externally.

Digestive Aid

Apple cider vinegar helps ease digestion because of its natural content of enzymes and beneficial bacteria. The sweet taste of honey helps make the drink more palatable, and honey may keep you from overeating, states DoctorYourself. According to the Mayo Clinic, ginger may help fight indigestion and prevent nausea.

Rejuvenation

Apple cider vinegar may help remove toxins that can cause drowsiness and lethargy; its alkalizing effect on the body helps maintain the proper pH balance for higher energy levels and proper functioning of all body systems. Ginger's pungency may have a stimulating effect on circulation, which imparts a higher level of energy and vitality, according to "The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants." Consuming honey may help your body naturally regain strength following an illness or because of fatigue, says Altman.

Honey should be in everyone's first aid kit. When I gashed my index finger to the bone (butchering a goat), it was bad. Equally bad was my dislike for white coats. I rinsed it in the kitchen, packed the cut full of honey, and wrapped it up for 2 days. When I checked on it, I lightly washed around the wound to get the dried blood off, added another smear of honey & tied it back up. Two days after that, it was ready for aloe vera. It healed with a minimal scar and saved me a trip to the ER. Best of all, saved me coming face to face with an M.D. I LOATHE most doctors.

This is some really amazing info as honey is my favorite food and medicine. Honey is like a miracle drug and it would be promoted a lot more if it weren't for the drug companies. Here are some of the health benefits of honey and milk that you will find really amazing.
Skin Care: Both honey and milk posses antimicrobial and cleansing properties. These properties are enhanced when the two are taken together. Numerous cleansers are prepared using milk and honey as the mixture gives a glowing skin. One can also enjoy a milk and honey bath, by mixing them in equal quantities. The combination is used in various spas throughout the world.

Stamina: A glass of milk and honey daily in the morning is known to improve the stamina of people. While milk contains proteins, honey contains the necessary carbohydrates required for effective metabolism. Milk and honey provides strength to all including children and old men and women.

Anti Aging: Milk and honey combination acts not only on the skin but also on the entire body by making it agile and youthful. People in many ancient civilizations including Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and Indians drank milk and honey to preserve their youth. Since milk and honey ensure long life, the combination was known as the elixir of life.

Anti Bacterial: Research has shown than milk and honey have higher activity on staphylococcus bacteria than milk or honey taken alone. It is also believed that honey added to warm milk cures constipation, flatulence and intestine disorders. It is also good for treating respiratory disorders such as cold and cough.

The benefits of honey and milk to the human body are so enormous that the phrase “land of milk and honey” meaning “a place which has plenty” is commonly used. Jerusalem is referred to as the land of milk and honey in the Old Testament.

Great info Lily D!

When I was growing up we raised bees and put honey on everything!
I am still waiting for an old Honey Recipes book that my mother used.

For insomnia a cup of warm milk with a spoonful or two of honey works well.

I can attest that honey does at least help someone acclimated to a new environment. I moved from a scrubland type environment to one filled with flowers, trees and grass. That means pollen, pollen, pollen!!I had multiple sinus infections the first years and started using local honey. It really helped me. I guess in theory it is sort of like inoculating yourself. And any natural sweetener is better for you than refined sugar. Great information and I'm gonna try the honey, apple cider vinegar thingy:biggrin:

I would also like to raise awareness to the decline in the honey bee population. It surprises me that people aren't concerned. Maybe it is hard for people to understand that life on Earth for terrestrial animals depends on those little guys. We raise bees on our farm, and the USDA has been calling and sending us all kinds of questionnaires about our bee population. You know it's a problem if the government has noticed :rolleyes1: Anyway, just some food for thought.

Also: I am very new here and was wondering if there is a place for medical discussions. I was hoping to find people with autoimmune disorders that are treating themselves with cannabis. I am very interested in hearing their experiences and have an opportunity to learn from each other. Thank you.

Back