How many seeds do you germinate?

How many when compared to how many plants you want to grow?

Do you germinate a few more than needed?

I use starter cubes.

For instance, I want 4 of one strain (I have 5 seeds) and 2 of another (I have 3 seeds).

I'm probably going to germ them all and see which ones pop and are the most vigorous.

I’m cheap so I usually plant exact numbers. Sometimes seeds are expensive. Sometimes you want to revisit those genetics again as on subsequent grows you may dial in their needs. There is no harm in having autos in multiple stages in one tent, so if you have a straggler or no show you can fire off another seed.
on the flip side we often have limited legal plant counts and to maximize time/space/energy you may want a chockablock full roster and in this case over planting and culling is best practice.

It depends... If I am using my own seed supply, I have plenty, and I start extras, select the best once they show their stuff, and bin the stragglers. If using purchased seeds I am less inclined to start extras. If I buy seeds of a special strain I am interested in, I buy 3 seeds, one seed for reversal for pollen, one for producing bud and one branch of seeds, and one extra to cover failures. :pighug:

I've opted to soak them all and cull 2.
I'm on a tight schedule or I'd start 6 and see if I needed to soak the other 2 or not but that would put me a week behind for those plants.

When I'm growing seed I made I germinate a few extra seeds. However with purchased seed 1 extra if any.

I usually use the exact number, though I've only grown fem photo and autos. That being said, with free seeds galore, I end up giving away most of my seeds anyways.

Back