If we were to expand Extraction to it's own category...

I just bought a solvent free press and would love to see more about them. I'm looking for tips on youtube for lack of here.

Bho is only as dangerous as the individual(s) make it. I was very cautious with it because I heard all the horror stories. Then I researched it and found out if you are not an idiot you will be safe. No flames, not indoors, no electricity. I have not heard of someone doing it correctly and harming themselves. Just go on YouTube there plenty of people doing in their kitchen on their gas stove. You can learn from them what not to do. Just be responsible and all will go safely.
I've run both closed loop and open blast and you are correct, done correctly it can be done safely. Unfortunately, many do not do the correct research, and many, are indeed just plain idiots.
SmartSelect_20190929-062835_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20190929-062901_Chrome.jpg

@KonopCh we do allow BHO discussion on AFN; it's actually a private forum and it's existed for literally years. We allow users to gain access by simply agreeing to simple terms and acknowledging that there are in fact some inherent risks with doing it. The decision came from back when it was NOT a private forum on here; we had a few staff help to moderate it and we had people talking about sticking things in the oven, near heat sources, etc. Basically, members were posting very questionable methods on doing things (things that could possibly get people hurt.)

Even in legal cultivation states, most states/jurisdictions don't allow the use of explosive gas/mixtures for processing at home (because there's always that one guy that thinks he can process in his kitchen with a fan blowing on the burner.)

@Mcdee

Short path distillation :headbang::headbang:

Got my setup ready to go, just a week or two more. Ordered some vacuum gel that goes onto the 24/40 glass to help get the vacuum down. I’m able to pull 29hg with the pump I bought so just a matter of making sure everything is tight. Wanted to get progressively smaller flasks so I can keep it under vacuum for entire reduction. Got a nice little 100ml flat bottom for the final reduction and now just waiting in product to dry.

We have also had our fair share of BHO rocket scientists in our state. Ethanol under lower temp with no open flame is much safer. Flammable vs explosive is a big difference.

I think the reason it is not and should not be a prevalent discussion here is that the site is trying to maintain the reputation of responsible growers. When BHO is mentioned it brings down the legitimacy IMHO.

Now if it was just called essential oil extraction........ but regardless once we get into extraction discussions we know there will always be those that will use it incorrectly. I’m sure somewhere there is someone sitting in the tub with a hair straightener trying to press a dab of rosin.

@Mcdee

Short path distillation :headbang::headbang:

Got my setup ready to go, just a week or two more. Ordered some vacuum gel that goes onto the 24/40 glass to help get the vacuum down. I’m able to pull 29hg with the pump I bought so just a matter of making sure everything is tight. Wanted to get progressively smaller flasks so I can keep it under vacuum for entire reduction. Got a nice little 100ml flat bottom for the final reduction and now just waiting in product to dry.

We have also had our fair share of BHO rocket scientists in our state. Ethanol under lower temp with no open flame is much safer. Flammable vs explosive is a big difference.

I think the reason it is not and should not be a prevalent discussion here is that the site is trying to maintain the reputation of responsible growers. When BHO is mentioned it brings down the legitimacy IMHO.

Now if it was just called essential oil extraction........ but regardless once we get into extraction discussions we know there will always be those that will use it incorrectly. I’m sure somewhere there is someone sitting in the tub with a hair straightener trying to press a dab of rosin.
Awesome now I got at least 1 person I can learn from. I'll be hitting you up bud, just started researching like a few days ago so getting my questions ready for ya lol. Have you done distillation before, or will this be you 1st try? Trying to figure out basic equipment I need to get started and will upgrade from there. Not a ton of videos out there about it, unfortunately that's how I learn best.

I have been distilling my own rum and bourbon for years now. I run a 15 gallon stainless keg as my distillation rig with a nice 34” copper tower thumper and condenser. I usually make two runs a year of 60 gallons each of wort. End up with 15 gallons each of high quality final product. Age on oak chips for a year and it’s smooth as........ also lots of crap left over to make grain.

I’ve been working on extraction and tinctures for 2 years and feel that I’ve got a really good handle on creating the highest quality safest extraction for home use.
I’m using a short path vacuum distillation setup that I bought for $40. A vacuum pump that wax $50 and a magnetic heated stirrer that was $50. To go along with that I have a Buchner filter that was $30 and a bunch of small stuff and filters that were another $50. That alone can get a very nice QWET reduced but I also just built a rosin press to compare the QWET vs press. Pretty sure already QWET will work better for me.

I’m using the vacuum distillation so I can keep the final oil as pure and unaltered by heat as possible. I want to be able to remove all water and ethanol without getting the oils above 120-140 Fahrenheit. Anyway if I get a chance I’ll take some pictures and add to my thread so I don’t clutter this up here. I’ll tag you in. Won’t be journaling the process for a week or two. And no videos. Also I’m just a hobby hack so not sure I’ll be able to get all science techno.

FB

I have been distilling my own rum and bourbon for years now. I run a 15 gallon stainless keg as my distillation rig with a nice 34” copper tower thumper and condenser. I usually make two runs a year of 60 gallons each of wort. End up with 15 gallons each of high quality final product. Age on oak chips for a year and it’s smooth as........ also lots of crap left over to make grain.

I’ve been working on extraction and tinctures for 2 years and feel that I’ve got a really good handle on creating the highest quality safest extraction for home use.
I’m using a short path vacuum distillation setup that I bought for $40. A vacuum pump that wax $50 and a magnetic heated stirrer that was $50. To go along with that I have a Buchner filter that was $30 and a bunch of small stuff and filters that were another $50. That alone can get a very nice QWET reduced but I also just built a rosin press to compare the QWET vs press. Pretty sure already QWET will work better for me.

I’m using the vacuum distillation so I can keep the final oil as pure and unaltered by heat as possible. I want to be able to remove all water and ethanol without getting the oils above 120-140 Fahrenheit. Anyway if I get a chance I’ll take some pictures and add to my thread so I don’t clutter this up here. I’ll tag you in. Won’t be journaling the process for a week or two. And no videos. Also I’m just a hobby hack so not sure I’ll be able to get all science techno.

FB

Have you ever seen the Source Turbo? @Root and @Eekman have one and it's a pretty slick little unit.

Back