New Grower III: Fastbuds Jack Herer Auto

It not that if that one plant needed air, it's that all plants need air. We're not making a terrarium here.
You're fine if you use anything unvented for a couple of days after sprout. Anything past that point you can run into various problems. I was being proactive and his babes were more than ready......they were praying their cute little leaves.................well, the best they could do.
If I see something in a thread, I'll say something. I hope others do the same on my threads.

Just trying to see what you are seeing mate. I'm still pretty new at this stuff. I've germinated a few seeds and had domes over them without ventilation. Not really knowing that they need reasonable airflow at such a young age. I was thinking that there would be enough CO2 and that holding higher humidity inside the dome would be more important. Always good to come on here and read through these threads and pick up knowledge from you guys.

Just trying to see what you are seeing mate. I'm still pretty new at this stuff. I've germinated a few seeds and had domes over them without ventilation. Not really knowing that they need reasonable airflow at such a young age. I was thinking that there would be enough CO2 and that holding higher humidity inside the dome would be more important. Always good to come on here and read through these threads and pick up knowledge from you guys.

Lifting the domes once a day for 15 mins is sufficient but after the first few days the high moisture can cause dampening off and kill the seedling.

Double update incoming:

Day 7: 5/17/21 Spritzed under the dome. Lifted for a quick photo shoot and some full on air exchange. Should be in the tent by Saturday at the laterst.

P1030363.JPG

Got that second set of leaves starting already!

P1030361.JPG

Day 8: 5/18 TL DC (too long, dont care) - 250ml water @ 123ppm and 6.8pH

Interesting development today. This plant is in Royal Gold Basement Mix. Their website lists it as a coco blend. I am planning to run this plant with Oregons Only Nectar For the Gods nutrient line. I have their sample/starter kit. I asked @Arthur for some input a while back but hadn't been sure when i would get to trying it out. I did mess up a bit and I failed to do a soil slurry test before starting. Did not read instructions fully. Ack!

I did not read, or didn't listent to, the part where you need to slurry test first, and then adjust/flush the medium to get ppm and ph in perfect range. I really misunderstood that part. Sheesh, well, I think it will come out ok in the end. Just have to wait for the numbers to get in line before starting to add anything. I've got a couple weeks before that is a consideration anyways. So.....

Slurry test tonight:

2oz soil (by weight)
2oz distilled water (tested at 7.0ph and 0ppm)
Mixed and let stand for 15 minutes
PPM: average reading 629ppm, high 680, low 570 ( I stuck the probe in and remixed a few times and let it stand until I felt the readings were consistent.)
pH: 6.0 (this was steady)

NFTG recommended PPM count is between 300-500 and if too high to flush with herculean harvest until closer to proper range. I think a couple more weeks of just plain watering will bring the ppm count in range. I will re-slurry before staring any nutrients.

They also recommend a pH between 6.3 and 6.8 as a starting point. I will water in a little higher than 6.3 and hopefully by the start the soil test will have higher pH.

Tonights addition: 250ml water with 0.5ml bioroot and 0.25ml Dynagro Protekt (silica product) @ 123ppm and 6.8ph

Pics:

Blurryness courtesy of Kostas being 70 and losing his tripod in the house somewhere.....clutter and too many hobbies.... really, this is the best one I managed to shoot.....

P1030367.JPG

Oh, oh, here's a steady one! I leaned on a book! Second set of leaves growing in nicely. Whee!

P1030368.JPG

Double update:

Day 9: 5/19 Added 250ml water 50/50 tap/distilled at 6.5pH and 148ppm, did get some runoff through the bottom. This soil doesn't hold water as well as the biobizz lightmix, but I didn't quite get enough runoff to test yet. Few more days and I'll water in a bit more and try to get a reading. I am concerned that the soil itself is too hot and my initial slurry test indicated well into the 600's for ppm count.

Pics:

P1030374.JPG

Uh-oh looking a bit yellow in some spots.....

P1030375.JPG

Day 10: Added Nothing.

Leaves are looking a bit tip burned already and yellow. I'm planning to continue with distilled water only to bring the ppm/nute level of the soil down and raise the pH, it tested at ~620+ppm and 6.0pH. I'll hold steady at 6.5-6.8 and 0ppm water until I see things change a bit.

This is in Royal Gold Basement Mix - something I had a bit leftover and wanted to try out.

Dang! Blurry again and I didn't notice until I had already transferred the images.
P1030378.JPG

Not going to stress about it. The plant is still very very young and has lots of time to grow out of it but, not looking great. Might just be a bad soil for autos. I'll stick to the water only plan for now, see what some runoff numbers are in a few days and go from there.
Close up of the developing damage: I think it's noticeable back to day 8 for sure.

P1030379.JPG

Day 10: Added Nothing.

Leaves are looking a bit tip burned already and yellow. I'm planning to continue with distilled water only to bring the ppm/nute level of the soil down and raise the pH, it tested at ~620+ppm and 6.0pH. I'll hold steady at 6.5-6.8 and 0ppm water until I see things change a bit.

This is in Royal Gold Basement Mix - something I had a bit leftover and wanted to try out.

Dang! Blurry again and I didn't notice until I had already transferred the images.
View attachment 1320678

Not going to stress about it. The plant is still very very young and has lots of time to grow out of it but, not looking great. Might just be a bad soil for autos. I'll stick to the water only plan for now, see what some runoff numbers are in a few days and go from there.
Close up of the developing damage: I think it's noticeable back to day 8 for sure.

View attachment 1320679
What damage? :eek: That seedling looks fine to me :thumbsup:

Ah thanks man! It's got a little tip burn around all the edges and some yellow discoloration. It's not been in the ideal environment yet so I'll just let it ride and water, water, water, until it grows out of it. It is it the tent as of this morning so hopefully sort itself out in the next few days.

Day 11: 5/21 Last day outside the tent. Moving on 5/22 to a considerably better environment. GIven 200ml mostly distilled water pH 6.7 and 95ppm, mixed with a bit of dechloro tap as I could not balance the pH of just the distilled alone. I tried a bunch and kept dropping it way too far.

Pics:

P1030384.JPG

Couple drips from removing the humidity dome. Last day for one of those, into the tent in the "AM", pics were taken last night. Not looking too bad.

P1030386.JPG

Day 12: 5/22 Added nothing, moved into the tent and introduced to the new environment. A steady 76F and 65%rh for now. The light is lower but less intensity than it was under. I am planning to move the dimmer up over the next few days.

Pics:

P1030394.JPG

P1030396.JPG

Hi bro I only just found your thread and what your doing for your friend makes you a legend in my book and is that age right on your profile 71

Back