New Grower III: Fastbuds Jack Herer Auto

Will do and report back. Thanks!

Allright a quick numbers update for @Mañ'O'Green to see what my plan of attack should be. I've got a good idea of what to do next but just in case. Also, I kind of knew the soil wasn't ideal as it is a mix of soil/coco and everything I've seen and read here has shown this to be an ill advised venture. However, I had some leftover and wanted to try it out, if this grow fails or flops, well, I'm ok with that as it was a bit of an experiment. On to it!

Slurry test:
I dug down as much as I could with a thin but large kitchen spoon, probably just an inch shy of the bottom and only hit a few roots. Pulled out 38g of soil and mixed with 38g by weight distilled water. Blended and let sit for ~20 min.

5.6-5.7 pH and 515ppm

Ran in 1200ml distilled water ph'd to 6.5 and collected ~800ml of runoff. Pot was still pretty wet from last night.
Runoff numbers: 6.4pH and 487ppm

So plan is: Drop ppm of fertigation to around 150-200ppm, water in 500ml+ until at least 150ml runoff collected, then move to 500ml+ until runoff is only ~50-100ml?

Pick up earthjuice microblast and foliar feed ONCE. Local shop carries it and I should have it in the next day or so.

Solid?

Pics from tonight: Day 36

P1030564.JPG

P1030565.JPG

Allright a quick numbers update for @Mañ'O'Green to see what my plan of attack should be. I've got a good idea of what to do next but just in case. Also, I kind of knew the soil wasn't ideal as it is a mix of soil/coco and everything I've seen and read here has shown this to be an ill advised venture. However, I had some leftover and wanted to try it out, if this grow fails or flops, well, I'm ok with that as it was a bit of an experiment. On to it!

Slurry test:
I dug down as much as I could with a thin but large kitchen spoon, probably just an inch shy of the bottom and only hit a few roots. Pulled out 38g of soil and mixed with 38g by weight distilled water. Blended and let sit for ~20 min.

5.6-5.7 pH and 515ppm

Ran in 1200ml distilled water ph'd to 6.5 and collected ~800ml of runoff. Pot was still pretty wet from last night.
Runoff numbers: 6.4pH and 487ppm

So plan is: Drop ppm of fertigation to around 150-200ppm, water in 500ml+ until at least 150ml runoff collected, then move to 500ml+ until runoff is only ~50-100ml?

Pick up earthjuice microblast and foliar feed ONCE. Local shop carries it and I should have it in the next day or so.

Solid?

Pics from tonight: Day 36

View attachment 1331172

View attachment 1331173
Yes that sounds good. Tag me back in after a few days.

Updates: 6/16 Day 37, added nothing

Day 38: 6/17 Following the MOG fixit guide:

Mixed up 750ml of distilled water:
221ppm and 6.8ph
Low ppm blend of 10ppm silica/protek, 10ppm MagPro, 80ppm FoliagePro, 80ppm Bloom, needed a little pH up but basically spot on.

Watered in looking for 150-200ml runoff. Got nearly nothing on the first 750ml in, remixed the same with another 750ml. Only took maybe another 200ml to get the runoff trickling. I think the pot managed to absorb almost the full initial 750ml and then the next bit slowly worked its way through.

Runoff captured: Tested at 6.7pH and 432ppm

Pics:

P1030590.JPG

P1030591.JPG

Pre watering and with nothing yesterday looking a little droopy. Probably perk up by tomorrow.

P1030594.JPG

@Mañ'O'Green - Slight change in plans. Let me know if you think I've taken the correct course. I did pick up the earth juice microblast but before getting to use it I discovered the bug problem.

Day 39: 6/18 Problem discovered! BUGS! Started watering in slowly with ~200ppm nute mix and saw many many little larvae flitting about on the surface. FULL STOP!

Remixed 2L of water and added 4Gr/L Gnatrol BTI. I suspect fungus gnats, I did see only one adult. Ran in water until ~200ml runoff captured. Loads of these dang larvae/worms/bugs! ACK!

Sprayed down the top of the soil with Neem oil and wet the sides of the growbag from top to bottom as well.

Day 40: 6/19 Nothing, let it dry.

Day 41 : 6/20 - Mixed up more low nute strength water and 2gr/L Gnatrol. Also picked up sensizyme for cleaning/clearing roots and old bound up nutrients. Watered in until about 800ml runoff, saw significantly less larvae in the runoff. Hopefully this fixes things a bit. I absolutely suspect the bugs came from this soil and transferred to my other plant as well.

Neem oil applied same as before to top of soil and sides of the bag but not the plant. I see no insects anywhere on or around the plant itself.

Pics:

P1030598.JPG

Hopefully this appearance will start to clear up as the bug issue is being tackled and the 'zyme will clear out the soil/coco nute bind issue. I kind of knew this soil blend wouldn't be great.

P1030600.JPG

I would treat that with Botinicare HydroGuard asap or Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungicide. if the worms were ating your roots secondary infections are possible.

@Mañ'O'Green - Followed your advice and I think it's worked! Thank you!

Day 46 : 6/25 Been tackling the bug issue hard. I think I have managed to get it under control. Tomorrow will be another dose of the BTI/Gnatrol product. Tonight I watered to just about 100ml of runoff so I could continue to look for insect larvae. Very very few left. I did see two larger worms that had the telltale dark head/white body of fungus gnats. At least now there are few bodies and none are alive. Success!

Ok, so the plant doesn't look great but I think I've turned the corner. Some of the smaller new leaves are looking healthy-ish. I did a bit of research and followed MOG's advice. I did add one additional product, AN Sensizyme. MOG suggested the soil/coco blend was holding onto nutrients and clogging everything up. I've been adding the enzyme product along with the low strength nutes to runoff, the BTI, and a dose of the Botanicare Hydroguard. I knew the soil wasn't going to be great and since it's a blend you can't treat it like soil or coco exclusively. I've read the soil/coco layering doesn't work and seen that it doesn't work. Why did I think I'd pull it off? hahaha, ah well, been a fun grow regardless and got some practice ID'ing and handling pests.

Pics:

Eeesh, not great.... but some of the newer leaves are looking much better.

P1030620.JPG

Flash on, and check out that color difference! It might pull through ok. Several new leaves down near the base look well so I hope that continues to the rest of the plant. I know most leaves won't recover from their damage.

P1030622.JPG

Some of the budsites look like they have recovered

P1030624.JPG

P1030625.JPG

@Mañ'O'Green - Followed your advice and I think it's worked! Thank you!

Day 46 : 6/25 Been tackling the bug issue hard. I think I have managed to get it under control. Tomorrow will be another dose of the BTI/Gnatrol product. Tonight I watered to just about 100ml of runoff so I could continue to look for insect larvae. Very very few left. I did see two larger worms that had the telltale dark head/white body of fungus gnats. At least now there are few bodies and none are alive. Success!

Ok, so the plant doesn't look great but I think I've turned the corner. Some of the smaller new leaves are looking healthy-ish. I did a bit of research and followed MOG's advice. I did add one additional product, AN Sensizyme. MOG suggested the soil/coco blend was holding onto nutrients and clogging everything up. I've been adding the enzyme product along with the low strength nutes to runoff, the BTI, and a dose of the Botanicare Hydroguard. I knew the soil wasn't going to be great and since it's a blend you can't treat it like soil or coco exclusively. I've read the soil/coco layering doesn't work and seen that it doesn't work. Why did I think I'd pull it off? hahaha, ah well, been a fun grow regardless and got some practice ID'ing and handling pests.

Pics:

Eeesh, not great.... but some of the newer leaves are looking much better.

View attachment 1335241

Flash on, and check out that color difference! It might pull through ok. Several new leaves down near the base look well so I hope that continues to the rest of the plant. I know most leaves won't recover from their damage.

View attachment 1335242

Some of the budsites look like they have recovered

View attachment 1335243

View attachment 1335244
Yes I agree they look to be on the mend. If you have it available I would use Recharge or the MicroBlast with a 25% strength feeding. She looks nitrogen hungry now but her posture is improved.

Day 52 : 7/1 Continuing the bug battle and slowly bringing the nutrient level back up. Done a couple AM foliar feeds hoping to help aid recovery. Looking rough but will probably pull off a small harvest. Not dissapointed. Interesting experiment with the soil/coco blend. It has gone as expected - not well! hahaha

Pics: The bugs and nute bind issue definitely did a number.

P1030649.JPG

Most of the bud site are starting to look ok and a bit more green than the rest of the plant.

P1030650.JPG

Another 20-30 days to go. We shall see how it develops.

P1030651.JPG

Back