Installing a Drip Works raised bed kit

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I've completed this year, converting all my outdoor grows to raised beds. I've a raised bed in my little greenhouse. I just completed installing a dripline type drip irrigation kit that I bought from Drip Works
( www.dripworks.com ). The kit is taylored for raised beds and this kit can supposedly do up to three, 4'x8' raised beds. And I'm sure it will, but extra hose staples would be a good idea. Other than that, you get plently of 1/4" tubing, 100' of drip tubing, 50' of 1/2" tubing. You also get ten small staples, 10 large staples, a 1/2" T, a 1/2" elbow, a 1/2" to hose thread adapter, a 30 psi water pressure regulator, a line filter with hose fittings. You also get several 1/4" elbows and tees, about 10, 1/4" double end barbs, and 1/4" goof plugs.

Setup couldn't be much easier. I rolled out a length of drip tube, slightly longer than my raised bed. I cut it then used that piece to measure the other 3, as I'm using 4 strips of drip tube per bed.

After cutting the drip tube, I cut 6" pieces of 1/4" tubing. I stalled 1/4" elbows on the inlet end of the drip tube, then fit the 6" tubes to the elbow also. On the far end of the drip tube, I installed goof plugs.

Next I laid out the drip tubes in the raised bed, and fixed them in place with the supplied staples. I then cut a length of 1/2" tubing about 6" longer than the width of the raised bed. To seal the end of the 1/2" tube, slip over the tube the 1/2" double hoop fitting. Bend over 3" of the end of the tubing then slip the hoop fitting up until if fits over the bent end of the tube also.

I then installed the 1/2" to hose fitting by simply pushing it into the tubing! Nice! I placed the the tubing on top of the end board and held it in place with staples. Then, using the punch provided, I punched holes in the 1/2" tubing for the driplines. I installed the 1/4" barb into the 1/2" tubing. I should have done so before stapling it in place..... bending with these slippery little fittings was no fun...duh..
I attached the drip lines to the barbs on the 1/2" tube. I finished by connecting the pressure regulator and the filter to the tubing. I connected a hose to the filter, open the valve on the bottom of the filter and turned on the water. /when the air was out of the filter, I closed the valve. Success! Not leaks where they shouldn't be, and dripping where it should.

This kit costs $59.00 plus shipping. And excellent deal. Dripworks has kits for large gardens and for container growing too. No more damned hand watering!

Now I need to replace the dead water timer.........

Drip system parts pic1.jpg
Drip system parts pic2.jpg
Drip system parts pic3.jpg
tubing and punch pic1.jpg
tubing layout pic1.jpg
tubing layout pic2.jpg
tubing layout pic3.jpg

A joint is a requirement for starting a dripline project. Excellent work in setting all of that up, it looks like you spent quite a bit of time on it.
The best thing about drip systems, once you do the main work, the maintenance is pretty low.

Honestly, it took me maybe 30 minutes to install. And I want to say, given the parts included in the kit, the price is excellent.

A joint is a requirement for starting a dripline project. Excellent work in setting all of that up, it looks like you spent quite a bit of time on it.
The best thing about drip systems, once you do the main work, the maintenance is pretty low.

DripDepot is another good source for kits. If you add a $25-$50 Orbit programmable timer you’ll get even more out of your drip system. At least I have. Buy them at Walmart or Amazon and they attach to the spigot upstream from your pressure reducer. When the weather is hot and windy you can get it to drip just a little at a time every couple of hours during the day, if you want.

Back