Looking for recommended recipe for a canna salve/lotion

Reaction score
I found a few recipes already but not sure which one to go with. I'd like to make some canna salve for treating pain. I have a couple of Sweet Nurse CBD plants hanging to dry right now. I'll be making a canna infusion in to coconut oil for an edible delivery. But also wanted to make a salve.

Would appreciate any general info, guidelines and recipes.

@lunarman did you get @Root 's recipes from the threads she has?

She really is the best, she has tested everything in about every way.

:pass:
:love:@Eekman

I found a few recipes already but not sure which one to go with. I'd like to make some canna salve for treating pain. I have a couple of Sweet Nurse CBD plants hanging to dry right now. I'll be making a canna infusion in to coconut oil for an edible delivery. But also wanted to make a salve.

Would appreciate any general info, guidelines and recipes.
Hi @lunarman

A salve can be made with your oil, as easy as adding beeswax to your canna infused coconut oil.
Make your salve using the double boil system ( or without direct heat)
I like to add cocoa butter. It gives a slight chocolate smell and gives it a creamer texture (depending on how much used)
Shea butter is good too, it reduces the oily feel of the infused coconut oil.
Unless I'm making a wound healing salve, I regularly use both cocoa butter and Shea butter in my rubs.
When it is hot (summer) you will need to use more beeswax than when it is cold (winter).

If you are going to add essential oil(s), add them after cooling ( beeswax melts at 140 F that will evaporate any essential oil) I don't use them in my rubs.

I let my oil/butter/beeswax cool overnight, then whip it with a hand blender to make it spreadable.
At this time you can add a cannabis tincture for added strength.

That's just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
Have fun making salves and let us know how it goes!

:smoking:

:love:@Eekman

Hi @lunarman

A salve can be made with your oil, as easy as adding beeswax to your canna infused coconut oil.
Make your salve using the double boil system ( or without direct heat)
I like to add cocoa butter. It gives a slight chocolate smell and gives it a creamer texture (depending on how much used)
Shea butter is good too, it reduces the oily feel of the infused coconut oil.
Unless I'm making a wound healing salve, I regularly use both cocoa butter and Shea butter in my rubs.
When it is hot (summer) you will need to use more beeswax than when it is cold (winter).

If you are going to add essential oil(s), add them after cooling ( beeswax melts at 140 F that will evaporate any essential oil) I don't use them in my rubs.

I let my oil/butter/beeswax cool overnight, then whip it with a hand blender to make it spreadable.
At this time you can add a cannabis tincture for added strength.

That's just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
Have fun making salves and let us know how it goes!

:smoking:
Thank u for the advice. I'm curious do you find if you jack up your flower content and more THC that the Salve is actually more effective or potent?

Thank u for the advice. I'm curious do you find if you jack up your flower content and more THC that the Salve is actually more effective or potent?

As you add non canna stuff (cocoa/Shea butter, beeswax, etc) it does dilute your final salve.
However cannabis works so well transdermally, that you really don't have to worry about it. I will add tincture if I want it stronger. (some people use just tincture without a carrier oil too)
Another thing I thought about last night...and I think it was you and me that had the discussion about lecithin adding to the absorbency of the salves.
I haven't made any salves (or rubs) since then, but I did play around with the lecithin and plain coconut oil and it did seem to aid in the absorbency through the skin.

As you add non canna stuff (cocoa/Shea butter, beeswax, etc) it does dilute your final salve.
However cannabis works so well transdermally, that you really don't have to worry about it. I will add tincture if I want it stronger. (some people use just tincture without a carrier oil too)
Another thing I thought about last night...and I think it was you and me that had the discussion about lecithin adding to the absorbency of the salves.
I haven't made any salves (or rubs) since then, but I did play around with the lecithin and plain coconut oil and it did seem to aid in the absorbency through the skin.

I dont think I've have ever given any thought to lecithin being applied in a transdermal situation. But I'm going to think about it now!

When you say tincture, do you mean like an alcohol canna extract like green dragon? I hadn't seen a salve recipe that uses tincture. Or is tincture just the infused coco oil?

I dont think I've have ever given any thought to lecithin being applied in a transdermal situation. But I'm going to think about it now!
It is pretty cool...the little solution I made up of coconut oil and lecithin absorbed into my skin very quickly with little residue.
Lecithin also helps to carry substances with it, like dmso but it's not near as strong...meaning it won't carry everything like dmso.

When you say tincture, do you mean like an alcohol canna extract like green dragon? I hadn't seen a salve recipe that uses tincture. Or is tincture just the infused coco oil?

After I whip my salve, I put a regular alcohol tincture (like green dragon) in and whip it again. Put little amounts in at a time, so you don't over saturate.
Alcohol is a common ingredient in transdermal products. Mine just has cannabis in it. :biggrin:
That's the way I put Magnesium Chloride in the salve, which helps with aches and pains too. Magnesium and cannabis work well together.

It is pretty cool...the little solution I made up of coconut oil and lecithin absorbed into my skin very quickly with little residue.
Lecithin also helps to carry substances with it, like dmso but it's not near as strong...meaning it won't carry everything like dmso.

After I whip my salve, I put a regular alcohol tincture (like green dragon) in and whip it again. Put little amounts in at a time, so you don't over saturate.
Alcohol is a common ingredient in transdermal products. Mine just has cannabis in it. :biggrin:
That's the way I put Magnesium Chloride in the salve, which helps with aches and pains too. Magnesium and cannabis work well together.

alright. Now I get it. Sounds interesting. It sounds like I could make up a big batch of the infusion and then do some experiments with different versions of salve. I'll post back here in a bit once the CBD plants dry and I get some salve made.

alright. Now I get it. Sounds interesting. It sounds like I could make up a big batch of the infusion and then do some experiments with different versions of salve. I'll post back here in a bit once the CBD plants dry and I get some salve made.
Yeah, we can see when you get a final product

Back