Lower Leaves Going Yellowish/Brownish

Ph after adding nutrients?

but i did not water with nutrients this time because I used nutrients on the previous watering. I just mixed up nutrients with water to see the ppm result to be able to provide more information to you

Last edited:
You can probably bump up your nutrient concentration to somewhere between quarter and half strength looking at your pppms. I’d even consider working your way up to half strength tbh. You may have been under feeding your plants a little bit.

but again, not to worry, at least you’re dealing with these issues now!

Last edited:
You can probably bump up your nutrient concentration to somewhere between quarter and half strength looking at your pppms. I’d even consider working your way up to half strength tbh. You may have been under feeding your plants a little bit.

but again, not to worry, at least you’re dealing with these issues now!

UPDATE:

So I watered 3 times after I got my ppm meter.

First Watering:

Watered with pHed water (6.5) without nutrients (70ppm):

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 363

Run off ppm on Plant 2: 220

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 267

Second Watering:

Watered with nutrients: Sensi Bloom AB 2ml, Carboload 1ml, Big Bud 1ml, Bud Candy 1ml = 685 ppm (Ph was something around 6.5 didnt focus much because Advanced nutrients has pH perfect thing)

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 876 (Runoff ph was around 6.0)

Run off ppm on Plant 2: No record

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 878 (Runoff ph was around 5.9)

Third Watering:

Watered with pHed water (6.6) without nutrients (70ppm):

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 403 (Runoff ph is 6.6)

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 476 (Runoff ph is 6.8)

I had to rip off many yellow dry leaves before I got my ppm but I think the yellowing has almost stopped on lower leaves however I am still not sure if they are getting back to their health or if I am on the wrong path. Here are some photos:

Plant 1:
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.58.59 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.59.02.jpeg

Plant 2:
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.58.58.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.58.59.jpeg

Plant 3:
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.59.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.59.05.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 21.58.56 (1).jpeg

Tried to get a photo of Trichomes from one plant:
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.02.55.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 22.02.53.jpeg

Can you guess how many weeks I have to harvest? because based on how many weeks they still have, I need to switch my nutes from Big Bud to OverDrive.

Thanks a lot!

@Bill.de.Cat @tronN00dles

Check the trichromes. When most are cloudy and 10 to 20 % amber is when I start. Usually staggered harvest taken top branches and leaving smaller ones to fatten up and get 30% or so amber for couch lock.

Looking much better. You’re definitely on the right path. 685 ppm nutrient solution is a little high though. Try scaling that down a notch on your next feeding. Aim for 500-550.

As for how many weeks left to harvest, it’s hard to say, but you still have a ways to go. 5 weeks? Those pistils will eventually fold back in on themselves as the buds fatten up. Then it’s up to keeping an eye on the trichromes. I’d recommend some kind of lighted microscope.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never grown an auto in the time estimated by the breeder. When you see an auto marketed as 8 weeks flowering, which people say for autos means 8 weeks from germination to harvest, this is malarkey lol. I use GH nutrients which show an 13 week feeding schedule (3-4 weeks veg; 8-9 weeks flower). So I grow them for 13 weeks and then they’re usually ready to chop down, give or take a week or so depending on the strain. To that end, in my experience, their schedule is pretty similar to that of photoperiods.

One final thing to add, I’m not really sure what the benefit is of checking your runoff. Typically I’m only interested in the ppm of my nutrient solution. I might check run off periodically, or if I’m flushing to give me some sort of reference of where I’m at, but for the most part I don’t think runoff ppm is particularly useful.

-tronN00dles

Last edited:
Looking much better. You’re definitely on the right path. 685 ppm nutrient solution is a little high though. Try scaling that down a notch on your next feeding. Aim for 500-550.

As for how many weeks left to harvest, it’s hard to say, but you still have a ways to go. 4-6 weeks? Those pistils will eventually fold back in on themselves as the buds fatten up. Then it’s up to keeping an eye on the trichromes. I’d recommend some kind of lighted microscope.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never grown an auto in the time estimated by the breeder. When you see an auto marketed as 8 weeks flowering, which people say for autos means 8 weeks from germination to harvest, this is malarkey lol. I use GH nutrients which show an 13 week feeding schedule (3-4 weeks veg; 8-9 weeks flower). So I grow them for 13 weeks and then they’re usually ready to chop down, give or take a week or so depending on the strain. To that end, in my experience, their schedule is pretty similar to that of photoperiods.

One final thing to add, I’m not really sure what the benefit is of checking your runoff. Typically I’m only interested in the ppm of my nutrient solution. I might check run off periodically, or if I’m flushing to give me some sort of reference of where I’m at, but for the most part I don’t think runoff ppm is particularly useful.

-tronN00dles

I agree that you should dial down the nutes. Man O Green's pinned thread on nutrients is a good read, in which he recommends 550ppm max in late flower:

And I also agree that you shouldn't focus at all on age. I mean, yes, it is good to know where you are in the plant's lifetime, but the breeder's timeframe from sprout to harvest tends to be an average number. Your girls still have a ways to go. First monitor the pistils; when 75%+ have turned from white to amber, then start monitoring the trichomes. You know you're getting close when the plant switches to Fall colors; your leaves will suddenly start changing to reds, oranges, and yellows. When to harvest specifically is personal preference. Some like the couch lock effect, others don't.

P.S. you mentioned, "I think the yellowing has almost stopped on lower leaves however I am still not sure if they are getting back to their health...," the yellowing leaves are jacked and they won't revert back to being healthy leaves.

If helpful, here is a pic of a plant showing Fall colors:
PXL_20210420_224601994.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, not only are your pistils all white, but they are relatively long when compared with the pistils in the pic I posted above. As your buds mature and fatten, the pistils will appear shorter. Just another sign the plant is telling you that she is maturing. So...

* Pistil length
* Pistil color
* Fall colors on leaves
* Trichome color (starts clear, then turns cloudy, then turns amber)

Read the plant, not the timeline. Cheers!

UPDATE:

So I watered 3 times after I got my ppm meter.

First Watering:

Watered with pHed water (6.5) without nutrients (70ppm):

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 363

Run off ppm on Plant 2: 220

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 267

Second Watering:

Watered with nutrients: Sensi Bloom AB 2ml, Carboload 1ml, Big Bud 1ml, Bud Candy 1ml = 685 ppm (Ph was something around 6.5 didnt focus much because Advanced nutrients has pH perfect thing)

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 876 (Runoff ph was around 6.0)

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 878 (Runoff ph was around 5.9)

Third Watering:

Watered with pHed water (6.6) without nutrients (70ppm):

Run off ppm on Plant 1: 403 (Runoff ph is 6.6)

Run off ppm on Plant 3: 476 (Runoff ph is 6.8)

I had to rip off many yellow dry leaves before I got my ppm but I think the yellowing has almost stopped on lower leaves however I am still not sure if they are getting back to their health or if I am on the wrong path. Here are some photos:

Plant 1:
View attachment 1316335
View attachment 1316336

Plant 2:
View attachment 1316337
View attachment 1316338

Plant 3:
View attachment 1316332
View attachment 1316333
View attachment 1316334

Tried to get a photo of Trichomes from one plant:
View attachment 1316339
View attachment 1316341

Can you guess how many weeks I have to harvest? because based on how many weeks they still have, I need to switch my nutes from Big Bud to OverDrive.

Thanks a lot!

@Bill.de.Cat @tronN00dles
Your plant probably has about 4-5 weeks until it's ready to harvest.

Back