Mephisto Genetics Mephisto bx line and bed/planter build!

mephisto

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Going for a two for one here!

I've mentioned previously, but for those who may have missed it, the next evolution to our auto catalogue, that we intend to really separate ourselves from the other breeders and seed banks is to begin the relatively long but fun road of creating Mephisto bx lines.

'What is a Mephisto bx line?' you may ask..

Well to explain further, the current Mephisto strains available are the crosses made in a time period ranging from 2-4+ years ago. For example 24 carat to Toof decay that is just being released.
To make a brand new auto from scratch takes 4 generations of breeding to make it 100% autoflowering. If you work 365 days a year, it's possible to do it in less than two years, but life or work doesn't always allow that.

All the first lines of Mephisto strains were made with automatics we developed for breeding from various sources, most were auto x auto hybrids that were bred for up to 5 generations to familiarise ourselves with their traits, how they performed, how dominant they were in crosses.

It was good learning and valuable work to undertake, however no matter how much refining done, without the introduction of fresh, high quality photoperiod genetics the potency was always the stalling point.

We later had all of these strains thc tested and confirming our suspicions Thc levels were between 5-10%

These strains were bred with the high quality stable of photoperiod cuttings acquired as elites or self selected 'keepers' from seedlines of high heritage.[/COLOR]
4 generations of breeding and we have the first generation of the Mephisto family, which have so far tested at 15-20% thc

For the bx (backcross) lines we are going to take our now much improved autos and use the, to donate the auto gene back to more elite high quality photo periods, this will reduce the overall % of auto/ruderalis in the genetic makeup, after all we are just looking to insert the day neutral auto-flowering gene to the mix, now keeping potency as high as possible and certainly not just 'watering down' the carefully selected photoperiod parent.

The following is the first part of the bx line collection:

Auto blues (Sheffield blues x purple indica auto) x the livers
Livers and blues are closely related heralding from the same area - both clone only oldskool strains, nearly identical, that have been around since the 90's. The livers we at Mephisto say is like the supercharged version of the blues. Don't get me wrong the blues is banging, the livers is just more.

We have the livers cut running perpetually in our flowering room, so now is as good a time as any to introduce some auto blues pollen and begin the process all again!

On the 10th of December batches of auto blues regular and chem city blues regular seeds were potted into soil.
Just a few for show:
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409506-image.jpg

On the 29th of December all had shown sex, @ approximately day 17 from sprouting.
Packed tightly as per usual!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409507-image.jpg

As you can see, very uniform and flat! Temperatures have been slightly on the low side too but all are looking sturdy. We used 3 lights and had 150 plants to work through for selection.
Also was chem city blues (it never hurts to have an optional cross to hand :) )

It's the opposite to most people growing regulars, we are only after the males, and 10 of each strain were kept for further evaluation before pollination will happen.

The females we disregarded, well waste not want not, we are adding two more planters to our flowering room and for the first time I will see how well autos do on 12/12 from just a few weeks old.
The last run we placed autos under a 12/12 light schedule from about midway through their cycle and then finished surprisingly nicely, so we will see how they do from roughly a quarter of the way through.

We have had good success with beds/planters, plants loved our beds outdoors and we thought we could save a lot of work by disregarding pots inside, beds are more forgiving the key, and thing we've been sussing out is how many plants and at what size to put them in.
As its a perpetual room it's straight into flower as soon as they hit the bed.

Here is one of the 4 beds of livers, these ones are about 2.5 weeks from being planted in the beds
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409513-image.jpg

there's 32 in the 2m x 1m bed - this will yield 1kg approx

As per usual we are on a budget and these are relatively cheap to build and resource.[/COLOR]
A breakdown of price is as follows:

Pallets for base (x2) - free
Wood sheets (x5) - 50 euros
Tarpaulin - 5 euros
Soil (bio is lightmix x10) - 100 euros
Hydroton clay pellets - x2 bags - 30 euros

You will need:
drill/driver 18v cordless phone we find easier
Screws/nails
Jigsaw

Total cost - 185 euros
Total time to build - 1-2 hours

On with the photos!

Here is the space the bed will be positioned it, previously the room had a walkway of boards in the middle of the room.
Prep-work here was just to bleach and mop the area.
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409508-image.jpg

Here are the pallets - pre-cut and spaced to the required dimensions
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409509-image.jpg

Here are the pallets now secured together with the base boards attached - 2 boards used here!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409510-image.jpg

Now with all sides fixed - two boards for the lengths and one cut in half for the ends
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409514-image.jpg

Tarpaulin inserted - The wood is treated OSB ply but the tarp offers protection and keeps it tidy

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409515-image.jpg

Holes drilled into tarp+base for drainage
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409515-image.jpg

Hydroton layer - soaks in a lot of the water, so the run off when watering is minimal to none
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409517-image.jpg

Soil - biobizz light mix nice and fluffy! - Plants just spaced out still in their pots on the surface

mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409518-image.jpg

Now potting in with a sprinkle of 'black pearl' underneath the rootmass!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409519-image.jpg

planted and watered in!
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture409520-image.jpg

Also the soil will be good for two runs, with a light ammendment and mix between the first and second.
Then a good mix, worm humus, bat guano, and more black pearl with two fresh bags of soil will do for another two runs, so quite cost effective!

That's it really, I'll post some photos of how the autos progress under 12/12, I'm thinking they may stay pretty short but the buds should be very nice all the same, time will tell!

cheers mitch!

Last edited:
Did you ever get anything going on the LED front? Has that stalled out or will it be happening? Ill be following this project, very interesting. :Cool bud:

Curious what the wood you use is treated with, some of the chemicals used to treat wood are quite NASTY!!! Cedar or honeylocust or some other naturally rot resistant wood might be worth looking into. Another alternative might be synthetic (aka plastic) wood used for decking purposes....

I'm sure it's treated, i'll check.
But the oldest beds in there are a few months old now, and no problems to report.

I've been in touch with GN, however it's too expensive. A room that size I think we'd be looking in the region of 12000 usd for lighting.. and we have enough expenses to keep on top of right now, we already have the equipment in there.

As it's on 12/12 that room will stay HPS,

I'd like to trial a smaller room with LED, as in summer and for autos being on 24, 20, or 18 hours Led's could help keep cooler.

I'm still going to order a couple of GN units to have in a tent and try them out as a side by side with HPS.

I wonder how it would work to have some LED running longer hours like 20/4 and then supplement with HID during the cooler hours (maybe 12/12), like in combination with each other. Might be something worth trying...

The raised beds look fantastic! How many autos do you place in each and what type of yield so you anticipate using this method? Also, the BX line is going to be bananas! Keep keeping on.

:grat:

The raised beds look fantastic! How many autos do you place in each and what type of yield so you anticipate using this method? Also, the BX line is going to be bananas! Keep keeping on.

:grat:

hey man! This is the first time trying autos in the raised beds under 12/12,
there's 26 in there I think, sharing 1200w, yield.. I really have no idea how they will perform, so this is a live test really :)

thanks, obviously it's going to be quite some time until the bx lines come to market but I think it's well worth doing the work!
cheers and happy new year mitch

do you place any kind of fabric between the pellets and soil like garden fabric to keep the soils from moving into the rock bed? using planters instead of single pots looks like and interesting way to grow.

No we didn't but that's a good idea for next time.
the clay pellet layer is about 3 inches thick.

There's pro's and con's to bed growing, but for us it's a huge time saver.
feeding is so much easier, and less frequent, it's just one lot of potting up rather than multiple.

We are also going to make a dripper system for each one, should we be away it'd be very easy to automate.

Cheers!

Mitch, the quality of your posts are beyond compare! You should start compiling these for a book! I'm serious, the depth and quality of your information would render a great book for beginning breeders!

:slap:

Back