Meters Required

Reaction score
I grew a few photo plants outside and it was a mixed success. It was in the summer of 2021 and I have decided to change-over to an indoor mode and I am now waiting on some toys from AC-Infinity and doing as much research as I can. I have decided on my first indoor plant to be an autoflower plant. One of the things that I am interested in is what kind of meters are generally needed and for what purpose. I am getting a 2by4 tent but the humidifier might be on back-order. I am making edibles only.

1) PH for liquids to measure both input water and runoff?
2) PH for soil?
3) Moisture?
4) Thermometer?
5) Hygrometer??

Are all 5 info needed at some point to have a successful grow? Am I missing anything important and conversely are the meters that I have mentioned all required?

Thank you in advance

Bob

If you got the AC exhaust fan with the digital controls, your humidity and temp measurements are covered.
You just need a PH meter.
A humidifier is a must in most cases.

You need to monitor Temperature and Humidity.
PH meter is a must if your going to use liquid nutes.
Its handy to measure other things if you get in trouble during your grow, which most of us do.
It's also important to know the PH of your water. At least to start.

Its actually hard to say what meters you need, without knowing your medium and type of feed. But a PH meter is normally the #1 meter purchase.
Liquid Nutes may require EC or PPM meters.
It's a bottomless pit as to how far you want to dive into this endeavor

Most just get the basic necessities, and if it turns out to be your cup of tea, the rest of the toys will come as you fan out and experiment, until you discover what type of growing works best for you.

Good luck. And welcome to AFN.

I would say a Ph and EC-meter is a must when growing in coco/hydro, it’s also good with a meter the get a hang of your nutrients. After a while you will learn how many ml you can use to get it right. Don’t go with cheap ph-meters, they will fail after within a grow or two. :pass:

Back