New Grower My first grow

PeaceLove&Buds

It’s never too late to be what you might’ve been
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Homegrown!
I’m attempting my first grow and logging it here both for future reference and possible interaction with some veterans if I hit a rough patch. I figure for my first time instead of following others every step of the way it’s important that I go on my own path and perhaps stumble along the way because that’s the best way to remember how I got there. I’m confident you fine folks will help me brush off the dirt when I do.

I’ll be growing in a 4x4 with a 600w led, cloudline exhaust, two humidifiers available 4g and 1g, and some tent fans.
I’m using Tupur Royal Gold Coco in 3gal pots with FloraMicro FloraGrow FloraBloom Armor Si and their medium feed schedule. Hard water here so avoiding the CalMag for now.
My seeds are (2) Owl Pellets from NightOwl (unknown x unknown)…(2) Skywalker x Strawberry Nuggets Mephisto…(1) Grappa Mephisto…(1) Strawbba the Hut Mephisto

At first I was going to grow 2 but the wife talked me in to 6 lol not a smoker but shes enjoyed my pot brownies in the past. So I have 2 at 6 days from sprout and as of this pic 3 of 4 have broken ground today. My light is 36” above and dimmed to 40% which keeps me pretty steady at 75 degrees. Im using the Photone app and these sprouts are getting about 450 ppfd. Its a little higher than many people do but it’s a weed it’ll be fine. I’ll be eyeballing leaves to guide me for a lot of knowledge along the way. As for feeding I use good old tap water and a few drops ph down per gallon to get to 6.5-6.8ish. The plan is water only to start and at day 5 a half dose of nutes and full nutes at day 7. I will water and feed every day and will definitely miss occasionally but its a weed it’ll be fine. So let’s grow!
D9151772-B230-4690-970A-7F816B0C99A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I’d much rather be at home watching them grow than here at work, which could be dangerous since I set my own schedule haha!

Hey growfriend, Welcome!

A couple points I noticed reading through your setup. If you're experienced and know your way around feel free to tell me to bug off!

If you're growing in coco, your pH should be between 5.8-6.2, I think the 6.5-6.8 is too high. The description on the RG Tupur website states: "Though not your typical 70/30 coco perlite blend, it is a blank slate to create your own high performance feeding regimen. As a coco fiber based soilless medium, it requires high levels of calcium and magnesium to unlock its true potential."

I think you are going to need some calmag as it sounds like this particular product is not prebuffered. If your water is hard and has a lot of calcium in it, you may only need MG which can be easily added with plain old Epsom Salts from the grocery store. Cheap and easy just make sure it is plain unscented/unflavored type.

Fertigate every watering. By that i mean nutes and water, I know you said you have hard water but ideally even a weak seedling strength blend will be a good idea. I do see that you plant to introduce nutrients quite early so you will most likely be fine.

Water to runoff. And you need to get a decent amount of runoff as well. The suggested amount is typically 20% of volume in. So if you water in 1000ml you should look to get 200ml of runoff. You may need to devise a tray/pan/etc collecting system. If you pour in 1000ml and get no runoff, increase the input volume until you do. Don't let your coco dry out.

Do you have an EC/PPM meter or pen? How "hard" is your water? The feed chart numbers are based on using 0ppm reverse osmosis water. Check the strength of your tap water. You won't know what is in it but you will know how much stuff is in it. If it's over 200ppm I would highly suggest cutting it with jugs of distilled or purified drinking water from the store.

Good luck! And I hope you have lots of space. Plants in nice big coco pots are going to get huuuuge!

Hey growfriend, Welcome!

A couple points I noticed reading through your setup. If you're experienced and know your way around feel free to tell me to bug off!

If you're growing in coco, your pH should be between 5.8-6.2, I think the 6.5-6.8 is too high. The description on the RG Tupur website states: "Though not your typical 70/30 coco perlite blend, it is a blank slate to create your own high performance feeding regimen. As a coco fiber based soilless medium, it requires high levels of calcium and magnesium to unlock its true potential."

I think you are going to need some calmag as it sounds like this particular product is not prebuffered. If your water is hard and has a lot of calcium in it, you may only need MG which can be easily added with plain old Epsom Salts from the grocery store. Cheap and easy just make sure it is plain unscented/unflavored type.

Fertigate every watering. By that i mean nutes and water, I know you said you have hard water but ideally even a weak seedling strength blend will be a good idea. I do see that you plant to introduce nutrients quite early so you will most likely be fine.

Water to runoff. And you need to get a decent amount of runoff as well. The suggested amount is typically 20% of volume in. So if you water in 1000ml you should look to get 200ml of runoff. You may need to devise a tray/pan/etc collecting system. If you pour in 1000ml and get no runoff, increase the input volume until you do. Don't let your coco dry out.

Do you have an EC/PPM meter or pen? How "hard" is your water? The feed chart numbers are based on using 0ppm reverse osmosis water. Check the strength of your tap water. You won't know what is in it but you will know how much stuff is in it. If it's over 200ppm I would highly suggest cutting it with jugs of distilled or purified drinking water from the store.

Good luck! And I hope you have lots of space. Plants in nice big coco pots are going to get huuuuge!
Thank you! I don’t have experience so you shouldn’t bug off for sure. I plan on nutes every feeding and watering to runoff and I have a ph pen which I will use to get ph a little lower. Not sure if it has ability to check hardness but will check it out. I will say that my goal is to not get super technical about growing, I won’t be measuring ph in my runoff water or buying 500$ meters to control my environment. I hope to keep this super simple at least for the first run and see where it takes me. Thanks again!

I hear and feel all of that. pH meters can be expensive, and are worth the coin once you get growing but EC meters are inexpensive and invaluable. It can really feel like there is so much extra stuff to buy when you are first starting out but I highly highly recommend the EC/ppm pen. Coco is a bit more technical than soil growing but I think it's quite easy to handle. Just check that pH and watch the volume in / volume out.

The HM Digital COM-80 is around $20-30 off amazon. I would pick up their 342ppm calibration fluid as well. It says calibrated out of the box but mine was a bit off, very easy to use and calibrate. No storage fluid needed either.

Amazon product

I hear and feel all of that. pH meters can be expensive, and are worth the coin once you get growing but EC meters are inexpensive and invaluable. It can really feel like there is so much extra stuff to buy when you are first starting out but I highly highly recommend the EC/ppm pen. Coco is a bit more technical than soil growing but I think it's quite easy to handle. Just check that pH and watch the volume in / volume out.

The HM Digital COM-80 is around $20-30 off amazon. I would pick up their 342ppm calibration fluid as well. It says calibrated out of the box but mine was a bit off, very easy to use and calibrate. No storage fluid needed either.

Amazon product

this pen has been great for me in dialing in hydro :bubbles:

Back